I need the opinions of new to moderately new reefers on a possible budget build.

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need the opinions of new, to moderately new reefers on a possible budget build. (we are in the discussion phase right now)

The reasons:
1). I have a crappy youtube channel, and I suddenly found a bunch of traction when I did a 75 gallon dream tank build. I am almost finished with the build, but wanted to continue the youtube deal - mostly for the fun of it. I'll need a new tank to do it because...
2). I showed how I made everything in my video. I built the stand, sump, overflow box, bla bla bla....but I whipped out 50K in tools to do it, and had just over $4,500 in the tank before a drop of water ever hit the glass. I believe that to be out of range for most people, so....
3). I wanted to do a new series - a series that was within the reach of the average reefer that had a few DIY skills, so I asked on the forum what new reefers felt like a budget build looked like, and got a few great answers, but mostly a little chastising about not being specific enough, so...hence the long post.
4). There are a ton of channels that say "look at how successful you can be if your tank costs as much as your neighbor's car", and not that many that say "you can also be successful if your tank costs as much as your neighbor's couch.

The intentions:
1). Do a series on a relatable DIY build using basic tools and materials.
2). Have it look like a million bucks on a regular joe budget.
3). Detail the equipment, and why it was selected.
4). Set it up, demonstrate long term success, and have a little fun doing it.

The strategy:
1). See what new reefers ideas are about what THEY believe constitutes a budget build. If my idea of a budget build is pretty close to the ideas of most other reefers, I will likely proceed.
2). Not to influence the question by planting ideas or imposing limits. I know what a budget build looks like to me, I want to know what other people think.
3). I would like a little feedback on the price, equipment, and size that you, the new reefer, feel like constitutes a budget build. Not to include live stock, rock or sand. Just the tank, stand and equipment - whatever that means to you.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. If you would like to view the previous thread for any reason, pop yourself some corn, and click here.

P.S.

I am primarily asking new reefers because that is the group that has either just finished, still working on, or still planning their build. I think it's safe to assume that some of those were/are budget builds, so the data is fresh. It's not to exclude more seasoned reefers by any stretch. If anyone has a concept of a budget build, I would like to hear your thoughts -unless you think a 50,000 gallon tank constitutes a "budget build". I can't fit that into my own budget...

Sorry for the wordy post, but specifics without being specific is hard...

Last edited:

NPRW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relatively new..
Budget build (lowest cost) to me looks like exactly that - lowest cost.
Repurposed home items, free tanks, knockoff gear and such. Lowest cost.
To be fair as far as specifics go I think we all we all have the same ideas (janky tank).
I think size shouldn't matter for a budget build, cost should. Perhaps something more like DIY build would be an idea.
In saying that I'm quite cheap and also quite interested.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can remember when I first started and wishing I watched a few videos first. I think the stand would be the best place to start as tanks can be found fairly cheaply. Starting with a few 2x4's. The next thing I would suggest are diy lights since that can get very pricey. Those two parts of the build I think would be the most important

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need the opinions of new, to moderately new reefers on a possible budget build. (we are in the discussion phase right now)

The reasons:
1). I have a crappy youtube channel, and I suddenly found a bunch of traction when I did a 75 gallon dream tank build. I am almost finished with the build, but wanted to continue the youtube deal - mostly for the fun of it. I'll need a new tank to do it because...
2). I showed how I made everything in my video. I built the stand, sump, overflow box, bla bla bla....but I whipped out 50K in tools to do it, and had just over $4,500 in the tank before a drop of water ever hit the glass. I believe that to be out of range for most people, so....
3). I wanted to do a new series - a series that was within the reach of the average reefer that had a few DIY skills, so I asked on the forum what new reefers felt like a budget build looked like, and got a few great answers, but mostly a little chastising about not being specific enough, so...hence the long post.
4). There are a ton of channels that say "look at how successful you can be if your tank costs as much as your neighbor's car", and not that many that say "you can also be successful if your tank costs as much as your neighbor's couch.

The intentions:
1). Do a series on a relatable DIY build using basic tools and materials.
2). Have it look like a million bucks on a regular joe budget.
3). Detail the equipment, and why it was selected.
4). Set it up, demonstrate long term success, and have a little fun doing it.

The strategy:
1). See what new reefers ideas are about what THEY believe constitutes a budget build. If my idea of a budget build is pretty close to the ideas of most other reefers, I will likely proceed.
2). Not to influence the question by planting ideas or imposing limits. I know what a budget build looks like to me, I want to know what other people think.
3). I would like a little feedback on the price, equipment, and size that you, the new reefer, feel like constitutes a budget build. Not to include live stock, rock or sand. Just the tank, stand and equipment - whatever that means to you.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. If you would like to view the previous thread for any reason, pop yourself some corn, and click here.

P.S.

I am primarily asking new reefers because that is the group that has either just finished, still working on, or still planning their build. I think it's safe to assume that some of those were/are budget builds, so the data is fresh. It's not to exclude more seasoned reefers by any stretch. If anyone has a concept of a budget build, I would like to hear your thoughts -unless you think a 50,000 gallon tank constitutes a "budget build". I can't fit that into my own budget...

Sorry for the wordy post, but specifics without being specific is hard...

Hey what’s up?! I think your idea is fabulous. I’m a completely new reefer and looked for hrs upon hrs of YouTube videos before jumping into the hobby and buying my 75gallon tank.

Before I give you an idea of what “budget” means to me I wanted to give you a couple of ideas for your series.

1) Make sure whatever equipment you decide to include you talk about the prices new/used.
2) New/Used pro’s and con’s.
3) If many Con’s can they be remedied in any way?.
4) Explain the reasoning behind every item you use. I.e. “Use a glass sump because...! It’s better than a canister filter because “...” and if you buy a used glass tank you can probably get it from under $X”

Now onto what I consider budget build.

I got a 75gallon tank with a stand and a wet/dry filter/sump for $300 this also included a bucket of Red Sea Coral salt, heater, pump, wavemakers and an orbit marine LED light.

Is this an everyday occurrence? No but it was my case. I was looking for a 35g tank but couldn’t pass up the deal and went with a 75g one lol.

I would always recommend anyone looking to get started to either look at used tanks or build their own if they’re handy.

0549c9632a8371c2470b62a657e3518e.jpg
0e57bbccd34f67e7345b271c1cbf6b6f.jpg
f0a98964370701ba33fd45d4bce014e2.jpg
2bcb14fd8a027097ab24849dbb86d7df.jpg

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there not new but would like to give my answer. But I recently did a budget QT/ Frag (not my fish Qt) on a Budget. Which reminded me of my first tank long ago. Didn’t want to take too much from main tank lol
So recently I got a stand $free ywca give them a tip so really $3 dollars felt bad to just take it, reinforcements with lumber on hand also $free.
20 gal glass no top $free from gf mom’s was freshly tank.
Custom made top from light diffuser panel cut around cords and filter $7.00
Hang on side filter with refuge camber and light $50 dollars package deal. Bio Balls on that one in second chamber to give bacteria place to grow. $6 dollars
Heater At PetSmart $15 was $30 they price match
Two bags on live sand $40
Live cured rock to help with cycling already had from left over seems like I always have rocks lol $ free
$20 wave pump
$3 temp magnet
$100 used light from reefer $80 new bulbs
Oh and $.33 for two shrimps from grocery store for cycle
So $336.33 if I did my math right lol

Of course I had stuff from my main reef like test kits and rodi and salt but even if I didn’t I would say $ 500 you could do a 20 gallon without fish and coral would be a budget build too me I know it could be done cheaper or more expensive. Was my thought on what my recently cycled Qt tank costed me. Happy Reefing cool question. What your YouTube channel?

OP
OP
BornHandy

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what’s up?! I think your idea is fabulous. I’m a completely new reefer and looked for hrs upon hrs of YouTube videos before jumping into the hobby and buying my 75gallon tank.

Before I give you an idea of what “budget” means to me I wanted to give you a couple of ideas for your series.

1) Make sure whatever equipment you decide to include you talk about the prices new/used.
2) New/Used pro’s and con’s.
3) If many Con’s can they be remedied in any way?.
4) Explain the reasoning behind every item you use. I.e. “Use a glass sump because...! It’s better than a canister filter because “...” and if you buy a used glass tank you can probably get it from under $X”

Now onto what I consider budget build.

I got a 75gallon tank with a stand and a wet/dry filter/sump for $300 this also included a bucket of Red Sea Coral salt, heater, pump, wavemakers and an orbit marine LED light.

Is this an everyday occurrence? No but it was my case. I was looking for a 35g tank but couldn’t pass up the deal and went with a 75g one lol.

I would always recommend anyone looking to get started to either look at used tanks or build their own if they’re handy.

0549c9632a8371c2470b62a657e3518e.jpg
0e57bbccd34f67e7345b271c1cbf6b6f.jpg
f0a98964370701ba33fd45d4bce014e2.jpg
2bcb14fd8a027097ab24849dbb86d7df.jpg
Nice find!

Back