I need to buy a bunch of stuff! What's your online retailer recommendations?

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of Premium Aquatics. When I lived in Chicago I would get next day shipping as they are in Indy. I moved to North Texas several years ago and still use them. Great people to work with!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One that is close enough to you that you can get your items in 3 days or less, unfortunately most of the places I get my stuff from it takes over 4 days. Once I had a local one mentioned above, I literally could have walked faster. Most of the sponsor's here are really good so try them all. DrF&S used to be one of my go to, sniff sniff they are gone.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on where you live. If its a rush order and you're on the East Coast then saltwateraquarium.com has great 2 day shipping. Obviously BRS is great if you aren't in a rush. I shop with them more often than not because if how much they give back to the community.

Amazons great if you have prime but no rewards program unless you have their card.

Sales tax can factor in too for larger purchases. Some online vendors aren't charging tax yet which can add up on a new build for instance.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Marine depot and BRS. They both have rewards points and sales plus theyre sponsors for R2R.
I usually compare sales and buy at the best pricing. For selection, BRS seems a little more expanded

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS, Marine depot, Amazon. I wish BRS sold Fritz salt, I go to saltwateraquarium.com for my salt, cheaper than amazon.

FragileReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally get going online for most of your build and getting a huge chunk off. But let me make this point. Your LFS may be 10% more than your checkout at BRS or MD but the relationship you build them could save money in the long run. I still order a bunch online but I usually make a list and see what my LFS can order. It may be inconvenient but one day I hope it pays forward. First dibs on the rare or special, deals on items you sell or buy, or special information. The LFS is who helped me when I started and I try to throw them business when it's easy for me.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally get going online for most of your build and getting a huge chunk off. But let me make this point. Your LFS may be 10% more than your checkout at BRS or MD but the relationship you build them could save money in the long run. I still order a bunch online but I usually make a list and see what my LFS can order. It may be inconvenient but one day I hope it pays forward. First dibs on the rare or special, deals on items you sell or buy, or special information. The LFS is who helped me when I started and I try to throw them business when it's easy for me.
Agreed, I will build a list and offer it to the LFS first. I think that's prolly the best way to do it.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I will build a list and offer it to the LFS first. I think that's prolly the best way to do it.

I agree with this approach. I always ask my LFS to match the price. The majority of the time if the online quote is from one of the biggies the LFS will match it. Unless they are way off from what I can see online I make the purchase with them.

By the way and slightly off topic this price match approach also works when I go to Best Buy, see something I like and ask them to match Amazon's price. If the item is listed as "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" and not a third party merchant Best Buy matches it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this approach. I always ask my LFS to match the price. The majority of the time if the online quote is from one of the biggies the LFS will match it. Unless they are way off from what I can see online I make the purchase with them.

By the way and slightly off topic this price match approach also works when I go to Best Buy, see something I like and ask them to match Amazon's price. If the item is listed as "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" and not a third party merchant Best Buy matches it.

Well I went in person to the LFS, the guy at this place has been ok up and till today when I told him I bought a WB. I then said I'd love him to be able to provide me the other equipment I needed so I could should support for the LFS and well, it went down hill from there, he ended up pretty much ignoring me :) which was a very hard achievement as I was the only one in the store!

I tried!

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast marine .com for reactors and other hardware. Some of the best equipment in the business. Call and talk to them. If avast makes it, I’m buying it.

Bulk reek and marine after that. Both the same thing. Both carry the same and different products. Bulk is 2 day delivery for me. Depot 3 for my location. That factors in who I order from also.

Reward points really aren’t that spectacular from either. Discount coupon will help. They are easy to find for both.

Plus both are supported on this site. If things go side ways it’s easy to get them under the scope.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast marine .com for reactors and other hardware. Some of the best equipment in the business. Call and talk to them. If avast makes it, I’m buying it.

Bulk reek and marine after that. Both the same thing. Both carry the same and different products. Bulk is 2 day delivery for me. Depot 3 for my location. That factors in who I order from also.

Reward points really aren’t that spectacular from either. Discount coupon will help. They are easy to find for both.

Plus both are supported on this site. If things go side ways it’s easy to get them under the scope.
Marine Depot might be a better option for me. I see they have a warehouse in Georgia and I am in TN

Back