I Need to Know The Strongest Copepods...Battle Tested Copepods, Copepods That Beat Up Fish, Copepods That Survive Like Bruce Willis :-)

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about your copepods. Copepods that don't just offer themselves up on a silver platter when put in the tank. Copepods that literally come from hiding in the rock and slap fish, throw their hands out and say "Want some of me"? Copepods that bench press 225lbs for a warm-up. Copepods that have Rambo and The Terminator in their contacts list. Copepods so bad that fish tremble at the sight of their glorious cope-muscles. Lol! Okay, sorry for all the jokery. Now down to business...

What's your favorite type and/or brand of copepod and why? I've tried several, I'm just curious what you all have a preference for and is there a specific reason for your preference.

2C024BB0-6899-4C5E-B752-055CFCBA0FE0.jpg

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use phyto from algae barn. I have a 180 that i dose 45 ml daily. I put 7 ml in each of the 32's. some days the glass is covered with pods and other days they are not present, especially after i scrape the algae off the glass. Ha Ha!

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your daily phyto dose consist of live phytoplankton (like maybe nannochoropolis?), dead bottled phyto plankton (like maybe Brightwell), or maybe "cyro~preserved" frozen pastes (like those from BSD https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/algae-pastes/)?

If you are using any of the above phyto sources, what is the size of your system, and what is the volume of the dose you recommend? If your source is different, please explain...

TIA...
I think variety is the spice of life. I feed fresh cultured (not by me) when available, bottled phyto and am looking at the phyto bag That doesn't mean refrigerated for a doser. I don't get super into the weeds about phyto types.

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about your copepods. Copepods that don't just offer themselves up on a silver platter when put in the tank. Copepods that literally come from hiding in the rock and slap fish, throw their hands out and say "Want some of me"? Copepods that bench press 225lbs for a warm-up. Copepods that have Rambo and The Terminator in their contacts list. Copepods so bad that fish tremble at the sight of their glorious cope-muscles. Lol! Okay, sorry for all the jokery. Now down to business...

What's your favorite type and/or brand of copepod and why? I've tried several, I'm just curious what you all have a preference for and is there a specific reason for your preference.

2C024BB0-6899-4C5E-B752-055CFCBA0FE0.jpg
it depends on what you want your pods to do. for only cleaning and sandbed eaters, ive heard tisbe are great. for filter feeders that can eat meatier chunks apocalypse are great

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think variety is the spice of life. I feed fresh cultured (not by me) when available, bottled phyto and am looking at the phyto bag That doesn't mean refrigerated for a doser. I don't get super into the weeds about phyto types.
ive heard good things about phytofeed live

Upvote 0

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
someone invent super pressurised commercial tanks/pressure bombs, so i can have a pet giant iso
Do they need pressure? I saw videos of them living in open top tanks in some marine museums/exhibition. Don't know how long they survive there though

edit:found it (warning, loud music in the video)

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they need pressure? I saw videos of them living in open top tanks in some marine museums/exhibition. Don't know how long they survive there though

edit:found it (warning, loud music in the video)
its not good for them. they might live for a bit but really aren't doing too hot. they could maybe live in a tall monster tank

Upvote 0

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2000 eco pods from algie barn and ill tell you what 2 weeks thought they were all gone then one night I looked in my tank with a flashlight and now I need to see a shrink..... they are everywhere big small and scary lol

Upvote 0

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 250 with 15 wrasse and 2 mandarins and I rarely see pods and we surely do not dose them. Leave it alone, they're specialized creatures that can endure near extinction and come right back.

Granted, the tank has some years under it's belt but there is also no refugium either.

Upvote 0

oldbob50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 gal DT, 20 gal sump. feed 100 ml of live, Nannochloropsis phyto per day. Feed the equivalent of 1 16 oz Algae Barn jar of Tisbee pods per week. I grow both of these in separate tanks. Fug has a thriving culture of Amphipods. Tisbee pods are visible in the DT about 1 hour after full lights out. Mostly in the water column and feeding on the glass algae. Amphipods are present in the DT but not very visible and only after lights out. All of my fish eat pods and my Red Scooter is a fat little girl.

I would pass this opinion on for consideration. The cleaner and more pristine your tank is the harder it is to keep your pod level up. These things love detritus and green things to eat. So the more your rocks are covered with algae and other food the better. This is an ecosystem so the more we try to make it clean the less life it can support. The trick it to balance everything. If you want pristine and clean that is fine. However, that probably will not support a large amount or variety of pods and other zooplankton. After dark, my water column looks like a snow storm.

Upvote 0

Durabane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a really good population of pods they were swarming over rocks you could see them with the naked eye. I got a Copper banded butterfly and within 2 weeks they were gone. Is there a good place to buy more? If Copper likes them that much should I Buy and Feed along with the Clams and Mysis I am feeding him at the moment still a fairly new tank.

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a really good population of pods they were swarming over rocks you could see them with the naked eye. I got a Copper banded butterfly and within 2 weeks they were gone. Is there a good place to buy more? If Copper likes them that much should I Buy and Feed along with the Clams and Mysis I am feeding him at the moment still a fairly new tank.
Do you have a fuge? do you dose live phyto to the tank as well as the clams?

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back