I need to lower my saltwater should i put the ro water in the sump or the main tank

rattslik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salt level is very high so i went and boight some ro water and i am wondering if i should put it in my sump or in the main tank.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would siphon some water out of the sump and then replace with RODI water. This will insure the tank doesn’t overflow if you add to much RODI depending on you SG levels. Of course if this is due from evaporation then just top of in sump.

OP
OP
R

rattslik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you need to lower it? Are there any tank inhabitants?

Welcome to the Reef!
I can't quite remember but it was something like 1.040 and yes i have 2 clownfish, blenny and 2 tangs

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say no more adjustment than .001 a day, but going from a higher salinity to a lower salinity is usually easier on livestock, especially fish. Slower is usually better though.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can lower quicker. Increase need to do so slower.
Don't trust the hydrometer too much. Need to confirm it, and take time, to do it right. Better yet, get a good refractometer. In only cost about 30-50.
You won't be the first one to trust the hydrometer, adjust your water and find that you are screwed becasue the hydrometer was wrong. Be careful and get a reliable way and if you use hydrometer, get it confirmed first before you do anything.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The safest way to lower salinity is to do water changes with saltwater that is the correct salinity. Not by adding freshwater.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that you mean salinity 40 PPT when it should be 35 PPT
Rather than specific gravity of 1.040 when it should be around 1.028.
Sometime novice Reefers get confuse between the two units.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The safest way to lower salinity is to do water changes with saltwater that is the correct salinity. Not by adding freshwater.
I disagree. If you need to lower the salinity just add fresh water.
it you want to increase salinity then top off with salt water until you get to the correct salinity.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of mixed advice here remember that your Salinity is a combination of ALL your parameters, alk, cal, mag, PO4, NO3 and so on. If you are a 40ppt then one quick fix would not be advisable. If all the inhabitants in the tank are acting normal (not showing stress) take it slow.

If you have an ATO set up take a couple ozs of water out of your tank everyday (depending on size of tank, bigger tank=bigger amount) and your ATO will refill to compensate thus dropping your Salinity slowly.

If you have no ato mark where the water level in your return chamber is and everyday raise that level a small amount, you'll essentially be adding just a bit more water than is evaporating daily thus slowly lowering your Salinity.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish is living in the tank so it is not an emergency. Do it slow and make sure you have correct reading.
Salinity and specific gravity are two different units both use to estimate the amount of salt in the water. Make sure you have the correct units and change it slow. .003 unit of specific gravity per day is likely OK and about 2 PPT per day for salinity.

Back