I need to make a final decision soon! Help me with my lighting

Andy Wenzel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here it goes and I looking for some last opinions before I purchase tomorrow.

47.2"×23.6"×21.7" tank looking to do a mixed reef with hanging kit from ceiling.

Option 1: Two Orphek Icons
Option2: Randy's SPS Lighting https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/randy-s-4ft-sps-lighting-bundle-bulk-reef-supply.html
Option 3: Photon 48-V2+ ReefBreeders
Option 4: Two XR30's with RMS Track

I'm a newbie and want to make sure I'm making a good long term decision, also I'm running APEX so controllably is a bonus., but not needed.

Thanks and be kind,
Andy

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with options 1 or option 4. I have a reefbreeder now and i honestly don’t love it. Probably something on my end though. The radions are a fantastic light and will allow you to keep everything under the sun. The Orpheks are nice as well but I don’t have much experience with them. I’m not a huge Kessil fan because I don’t really like using spotlights for larger tanks

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the 4 you list I would go Orphek as they would have the newest technology. If it were me I would also put the following ahead of the other 3.

ATI Straton
Phillips Coral Care
Neptune Sky

OP
OP
Andy Wenzel

Andy Wenzel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the 4 you list I would go Orphek as they would have the newest technology. If it were me I would also put the following ahead of the other 3.

ATI Straton
Phillips Coral Care
Neptune Sky
I'm unable to fine ATI Stratons to buy. That was my first choice, just can't find any.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming acropora/SPS since you listed a light for that? Best acropora reef tank under LED that I have seen in Therman and he uses Photon V2. You can find his threads out there for sale and in the general tank sections.

A few kessils and some LED strips should not cost $1700 from BRS.

If you makes you feel better, none of those are super long term. If you get 5 years out of them, you will do better than most.

It would really help to know what you are looking to keep. If it was just SPS and acropora, I would caution you to make room for some T5s or double the amount of panels that most manufactures recommend.

Carwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Reefbreeder. They are also a lovely company. Very personal and helpful. Check them out on Facebook, for example, and you'll see how thoughtful they are.

T33BLACK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here it goes and I looking for some last opinions before I purchase tomorrow.

47.2"×23.6"×21.7" tank looking to do a mixed reef with hanging kit from ceiling.

Option2: Randy's SPS Lighting https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/randy-s-4ft-sps-lighting-bundle-bulk-reef-supply.html

I'm a newbie and want to make sure I'm making a good long term decision, also I'm running APEX so controllably is a bonus., but not needed.

Thanks and be kind,
Andy
I have 2 kessil ap700's on a 125g and I love them. Great functionality and coverage. I have only ever owned cheap Chinese box leds in the past so not familiar with any others but so far the ap700's are growing anything I want.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of therman's threads. Just look at the photos. He is a prime example of how to run LEDs - lots of coverage and not just all-blue. You can also find his build thread... he doesn't do any crazy stuff... just good water, these lights and a stable tank.

Full disclosure, I have no interest in running LED at all, but if somebody made me, I would do it this way with Photon V2s, up high with 100% on all channels. I can pick out good corals and keep them healthy and happy so that I don't need to run all-blue to make them look good.

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is almost same dimensions I run 2 G5 XR15 love em no issues no brain damage so I assume XR30s will be awsome

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with options 1 or option 4. I have a reefbreeder now and i honestly don’t love it. Probably something on my end though. The radions are a fantastic light and will allow you to keep everything under the sun. The Orpheks are nice as well but I don’t have much experience with them. I’m not a huge Kessil fan because I don’t really like using spotlights for larger tanks
I also have the reefbreeder for a little more than a year and don't like it at all. Seems dim and too focused. I have 48'' version over a 48'' x 24'' tank and I can't get any spread unless I mount it 15'' up and even that is no good for the sides and corners.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks and be kind,
Andy
If you are new to reefing I might not spend $1K - $2K on lights until you know this is what you want to do long term. I would probably go with a couple of the 165 watt black box specials for $150 each. Plus if you want to upgrade later they make good cheap backup fixtures.

Last year I spent $1K for the reefbreeders photon V2 plus two light bars, but prior to that I ran the cheap black box for 6 or 7 years and had much better coral growth with everything from sps / lps / zoas. The colors look a bit nicer with the reefbreeders though so that's a plus.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the reefbreeder for a little more than a year and don't like it at all. Seems dim and too focused. I have 48'' version over a 48'' x 24'' tank and I can't get any spread unless I mount it 15'' up and even that is no good for the sides and corners.
My corals just don’t seem to be thriving under it. Some look like they’re getting too much light while others seems okay. I’m planning on swapping it out for a prime

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run either number 4 or go with some t5's and led strips. Someone mentioned the black boxes like viperspectra, these would be cheaper and a great option for alot of people. It all depends on what you want to spend. I think Randy's special could use 3 Kessel's and is already overpriced. I dont think reef brights used to cost so dang much. Also if this is your first tank you might want to think about lps/softies and ease into sps as they can be difficult to keep for some of us.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals just don’t seem to be thriving under it. Some look like they’re getting too much light while others seems okay. I’m planning on swapping it out for a prime
Same here. SPS seems fine up top but struggle down below, but a couple of my favia down low seem to be getting too much light. Only about 3 of my 15 or 20 diff zoa colonies are looking good.

For what its worth the AI spectrum is my absolute favorite. I just don't think the AI prime would be good for a tank deeper than 16-18 inches. And the reliability of those things are garbage. I went through 3x of the Prim 16HD in a 4 year period trying to light my 16g cube. Of course the issues happened a few months out of warranty. One of the blue lights just stopped working on one fixture. The other two had connectivity and controllability issues, one of which could never be solved. I'm done with all AI products even though its my favorite line of light... when they are actually working.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noopsyche K7 V3's. I run three different branded LED lights on three different tanks. These are the cheapest and best looking imo.
mind sharing what the other fixtures are and what corals you are keeping? pics would be best for me and the OP :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back