I need to make a final decision soon! Help me with my lighting

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. SPS seems fine up top but struggle down below, but a couple of my favia down low seem to be getting too much light. Only about 3 of my 15 or 20 diff zoa colonies are looking good.

For what its worth the AI spectrum is my absolute favorite. I just don't think the AI prime would be good for a tank deeper than 16-18 inches. And the reliability of those things are garbage. I went through 3x of the Prim 16HD in a 4 year period trying to light my 16g cube. Of course the issues happened a few months out of warranty. One of the blue lights just stopped working on one fixture. The other two had connectivity and controllability issues, one of which could never be solved. I'm done with all AI products even though its my favorite line of light... when they are actually working.
dang sorry to hear that. I have had numerous AI lights and never had any issues with them. My zoas looked great under my prime but never seemed to thrive under the reefbreeder

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mind sharing what the other fixtures are and what corals you are keeping? pics would be best for me and the OP :)
Illumagic Blaze x over a 100l peninsula Rock flower/BTA tank
2 x Zetlight UFOS and a vitamini strip over a 70 gal DT mixed reef (Acros, hammers, torches etc).
Noopsyche over a 120l SPS tank

Pics will have to wait till I get home

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang sorry to hear that. I have had numerous AI lights and never had any issues with them. My zoas looked great under my prime but never seemed to thrive under the reefbreeder
Just a gut feeling but I think it has something to do with not enough white light or wrong spectrum with the reefbreeder fixtures. I moved most of my zoa down to the sump under the old black box and they all rebounded within a couple months. Same exact water. I also moved some over to the 16g cube that is being lit by the Prime with the burnt out blue light and those are doing much better also than they were under the photon. So basically a prime with a non functioning blue light is better than a reefbreeders fixture.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noopsyche K7 V3's. I run three different branded LED lights on three different tanks. These are the cheapest and best looking imo.
I agree. The @noopsyche are pretty freaking great. I had Radion XR15s G5s and sold them after I won the NooPsyche 140s. You miss out on some of the techy / phone stuff..but after initial set up, you wont even miss it. Best lights I have had for the money!!

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Two Neptune Sky's would be perfect
I really really wanted to like the Sky. Matter of fact I even ordered one. I went to See one in person and cancelled the order. Got a chance to change the spectrum and the colors of the corals seem "intense" or very cartoonish, almost fake with their coloration. Of course this is just my opinion.

To the OP
I have been researching lights for a good month now. My tank is 48x30x24 with no center brace
I looked at
AI Hydra 64 HD - I really liked them
Radion XR15 Pro
Radion XR30 Pro
Orpheks
Kessil - was never gonna select them but had them in the past and was worth looking at

I narrowed it down to either the XR15 or the XR30 pro. I would either run 2 xr30's or 3 XR15s. I even considered running 2 30's and a 15 in the middle! way over kill but I had the option to do it.

I ended up going with 3 XR15 pro's. With the 3, I have future flexibility. I can move them around or add more later.

I had to order a few mounts and called Ecotech and discussed my choice. The Tech said that is exactly what he would have done. Flexibility is the key.

OP
OP
Andy Wenzel

Andy Wenzel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an AI fan, so I would say three Hydra 32s, but thats j

I agree. The @noopsyche are pretty freaking great. I had Radion XR15s G5s and sold them after I won the NooPsyche 140s. You miss out on some of the techy / phone stuff..but after initial set up, you wont even miss it. Best lights I have had for the money!!
I'll have to research these. Thank you

OP
OP
Andy Wenzel

Andy Wenzel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of therman's threads. Just look at the photos. He is a prime example of how to run LEDs - lots of coverage and not just all-blue. You can also find his build thread... he doesn't do any crazy stuff... just good water, these lights and a stable tank.

Full disclosure, I have no interest in running LED at all, but if somebody made me, I would do it this way with Photon V2s, up high with 100% on all channels. I can pick out good corals and keep them healthy and happy so that I don't need to run all-blue to make them look good.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Andy Wenzel

Andy Wenzel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really really wanted to like the Sky. Matter of fact I even ordered one. I went to See one in person and cancelled the order. Got a chance to change the spectrum and the colors of the corals seem "intense" or very cartoonish, almost fake with their coloration. Of course this is just my opinion.

To the OP
I have been researching lights for a good month now. My tank is 48x30x24 with no center brace
I looked at
AI Hydra 64 HD - I really liked them
Radion XR15 Pro
Radion XR30 Pro
Orpheks
Kessil - was never gonna select them but had them in the past and was worth looking at

I narrowed it down to either the XR15 or the XR30 pro. I would either run 2 xr30's or 3 XR15s. I even considered running 2 30's and a 15 in the middle! way over kill but I had the option to do it.

I ended up going with 3 XR15 pro's. With the 3, I have future flexibility. I can move them around or add more later.

I had to order a few mounts and called Ecotech and discussed my choice. The Tech said that is exactly what he would have done. Flexibility is the key.
I really wanted Sky also. Just haven't seen them in person or seen that review yet that say's to get them.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back