I need your opinion on a YELLOW HAMMER CORAL I just purchased.. Green?

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

So I just purchased an Australian yellow hammer. It was labeled as "FLORESCENT NEON HIGHLIGHTER YELLOW AUSSIE ULTRA YELLOW BRANCHING HAMMER" . (What a mouthful )

I just dipped the coral and its starting to open up... However, I am a little concerned.

It doesn't look nearly as yellow as displayed on the site. I paid a pretty penny for this hammer because the picture showed the coral pretty much as pure yellow. I've heard this vendor is notorious for doctoring their pics, but it looked as though this hammer had a ton of true yellow in it.

What do you guys think? Does it just need to color up some more? To me, the difference is significant. I will not tolerate dishonest vendors, period.

The first photo is the WYSIWYG photo on the site

The second photo is the same coral in my tank

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 4.04.03 PM.png

IMG_4769.jpeg

IMG_4770.jpeg

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of or seen a yellow hammer. Green that your picture shows is common, as well as an ultra (pinkish color), splatters (usually green), and a less common blue. I guess it’s possible yellows exist, but I think it’s more likely you got ripped off. Sorry if you did, it looks like a healthy piece at least.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was just doctored like crazy, but now that I'm looking closer, you could be right LOL.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same thing happen, however I bought it myself in the store. I swear it was exactly as yellow as your first picture but it’s been basically green since I brought it home. Point being that, although that picture has most likely been messed with, it could still be different on your end.

I think WWC has started selling this type as yellow or something. Not quite neon green but also not quite yellow/gold.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to believe this coral was as Yellow as the advertised picture, but I highly highly doubt it ever was. I've seen 1,000's of hammers and this looks like your average green australian hammer. From the time it was put into a box, to the time I received it, was less than 24 hours. There's no question this picture was highly doctored, and beyond recognition,and thats just completely dishonest. The fact "green" wasn't mentioned anywhere in the description, but "yellow" was twice, (not to mention the picture literally looks as yellow as a neon lemon) is even more dishonest. The seller was obviously using the "yellow" aspect as the main selling point.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious which vendor... if its who i think it is thats kind of a bummer as i was thinking of placing an order.

Reef Bazaar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's most definitely not a yellow -- yellow hammers do exist and I've had them in the past -- probably getting some in this week as well -- you can most definitely tell a difference.

Here's a pic from my hammer garden long time ago -- that'll give you a good idea of how different yellow's really are from regular greens :)
9384760241_8bff762b96_k.jpg

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's most definitely not a yellow -- yellow hammers do exist and I've had them in the past -- probably getting some in this week as well -- you can most definitely tell a difference.

Here's a pic from my hammer garden long time ago -- that'll give you a good idea of how different yellow's really are from regular greens :)
9384760241_8bff762b96_k.jpg

Yeah, I know its not :( and I know they exist... Do you ever frag your colony? it's so nice.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was the response from Extreme Corals"

"That coral is absolutely yellow under our lighting, I have 300 heads of them and sell thousands of heads a year. I cannot guarantee how they look under your lighting but that coral looked exactly as photo. Thanks"

not the response I was hoping for.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back