I need your opinion on a YELLOW HAMMER CORAL I just purchased.. Green?

Nick Shades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always parlay with them when someone above reaches out. I like to learn their terms.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some "yellow" hammers. The yellow color is a fluorescent from some blue to ultraviolet light. In white light they are green and in 455 nm too so it must be a shorter wavelenght that makes that color.
I believe it is 420 or 405 nm. I am quite certain that with the exact light your coral will show up as yellow. So just ask extreme corals what light they did use when they took that photo.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the vendor is Extreme Corals
lol, I knew it was them from the all caps title with excessive descriptors. I'm sorry you're going through this. I know how much they command for corals too, so not a cheap mistake.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some "yellow" hammers. The yellow color is a fluorescent from some blue to ultraviolet light. In white light they are green and in 455 nm too so it must be a shorter wavelenght that makes that color.
I believe it is 420 or 405 nm. I am quite certain that with the exact light your coral will show up as yellow. So just ask extreme corals what light they did use when they took that photo.

I agree and disagree.... in my opinion, some hammers are simply more yellow than others. Lighting can only make so much of a difference

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread is a little old, but only just saw the experience you had Brian. I had a similar experience with ExtremeCorals. They have great pictures online, but I learned after a couple orders that their pictures are more 'extreme' than their corals. They do have healthy/good pieces though, so I give them credit for that, but just know that their corals aren't much different from any other vendor. I shop at BattleCorals, World Wide Corals, Top Shelf Aquatics, or AquaSD these days. Feel like there's better representation and customer service.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that at times is better to buy from private people than coral places, I bought one yellow hammer and it looks awesome and I acquired it from a private guy... some places want to sell and that's it

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe that at times is better to buy from private people than coral places, I bought one yellow hammer and it looks awesome and I acquired it from a private guy... some places want to sell and that's it
I totally agree with you. Private sellers live by reputation and word of mouth, sot their pieces are top notch.

ron b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy from extreme coral is a scumbag. He's ripped many a people off. His coral is nothing as described. Sorry for that happened to you.

Blue Topia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can make it look any color with the right lights, filters and Photoshop. I run into the same thing. It's false advertisement and they all do it.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can make it look any color with the right lights, filters and Photoshop. I run into the same thing. It's false advertisement and they all do it.

pretty old post, but agreed. The consensus was quite unanimous on this one. Coral was doctored to high heaven. I got my money back as well.

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently got another coral from them that was far from described. They DO doctor their photos. I gave them another chance since I receive some store credit from my last purchase and again, I am disappointed with the coral.

their customer service is also horrible. I tried communicating reasonably with them but they came back and told me to never contact them again.

madgreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very weary of a company that has this many complaints . Many reasons not to order from extreme corals.
How many websites and coral sellers have you seen that have to explain on their website that they DONT photoshop their pics? answer ..because they have many complaints of doing so. They go on and on to have to explain to customers the Reasons why your coral doesn’t look the same as their pics such as stress in travel metal halide lights which are rarely used by the masses today etc...Also how did they get this SUPER RARE COLOR morph which Scott has never seen before and chances are you haven’t either ..because it doesn’t exist. Call me a cynical retired Detective but I’ll pass on this one. After all this isn’t my first rodeo..

syrinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a half dozen corals from extreme- maybe more. They never look like their pics 24/7- but honestly during some ramping up or down in my light schedule- for a few minutes a day- the corals are exactly as pictured. So I do belive that he is not just a photoshoper.

radsdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing is they are still selling loads of expensive corals and haven't changed their cartoon photography. Many fish in the sea.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back