I need your opinion on a YELLOW HAMMER CORAL I just purchased.. Green?

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that! Customer service is so lacking these days from some companies.
Unfortunately, lighting does make a huge difference so you really never know what you might be getting but so does manipulating the contrast. Colors can also be manipulated so easily these days with all the photo programs out there.
bsa

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i got burnt too. Then if you confront him
About it, he tells you never to call him again or to never shop with him. Well, never shopping with him was already the only option.

By the way, he monitors this thread, so keep letting him know what you think about his photoshopped coral.
Surprised someone doesn’t sue him for fraud. Probably wouldn’t be such a tough guy anymore.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is typical and it sucks for newcomers to look at theae online photos and then get disappointed when they receive it. Many of us that been around learned to see through the Photoshops. Green is often doctored to look yellow under blues. Wait till you get into acros =P. What I usually do is find photos from the vendor of corals that I know the name and color of. Then I can tell how much of a liar they are.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s so interesting that just a few years ago people were saying that yellow hammers are incredibly rare. They seem to be all over the place now. I got one from an LFS for $60.

nicholasng11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hammer u purchased is the middle but the one I receive is on the far right. Neither they send it by mistake or got duped my brother.

Attachments

• AE30071F-3924-4707-B719-3101284660A8.jpeg
    AE30071F-3924-4707-B719-3101284660A8.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 84

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow am I glad I found this old thread tonight! I was about to drop $750 on Extreme corals site tonight. A NYK torch and some “pee your pants” torch. Will NOT be using this guy or giving him a chance to screw me. Thx For the reviews guys!

joe2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

So I just purchased an Australian yellow hammer. It was labeled as "FLORESCENT NEON HIGHLIGHTER YELLOW AUSSIE ULTRA YELLOW BRANCHING HAMMER" . (What a mouthful )

I just dipped the coral and its starting to open up... However, I am a little concerned.

It doesn't look nearly as yellow as displayed on the site. I paid a pretty penny for this hammer because the picture showed the coral pretty much as pure yellow. I've heard this vendor is notorious for doctoring their pics, but it looked as though this hammer had a ton of true yellow in it.

What do you guys think? Does it just need to color up some more? To me, the difference is significant. I will not tolerate dishonest vendors, period.

The first photo is the WYSIWYG photo on the site

The second photo is the same coral in my tank

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 4.04.03 PM.png

IMG_4769.jpeg

IMG_4770.jpeg
Yes...from your description it appears you must have gotten this from Extreme corals. Their pictures are probably the most misleading and inaccurate in the industry bar none. Their size descriptions are usually also about 50% larger than what you will receive. They pack the corals well though...so at least thats a plus

joe2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow am I glad I found this old thread tonight! I was about to drop $750 on Extreme corals site tonight. A NYK torch and some “pee your pants” torch. Will NOT be using this guy or giving him a chance to screw me. Thx For the reviews guys!
I wouldn't call Extreme Corals a rip off...but people should know that they are far from as reputable as the industry standard these days.....more like what was typical 20 years ago.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting if not old thread. I'm thinking maybe they got their act together. I have bought a few pieces from them and have not been disappointed other than the fact this is a hammer that ultimately died on me. I have Radion G5's running LPS template and this coral looked exactly the same as the picture as have a few other torches and hammers. Pretty sure they are running G6 blues now and the photography has much improved since a recent thread about their poor quality photos.

Gonna throw something out there some may not like. Who cares what it looks like under white light??? For most of us it's how well it floresces under actinic and the color. I could care less about corals that look ok under white light and washed out under actinic.

This was a "highlighter yellow hammer". Now just want another and a pure orange.
e-03-16-25-1 (2).jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back