I nicked my tank slightly I just bought it then I see this crack how bad is it ?

Luikan336

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this today and i was transporting it . It his a metal beam on my truck but very slightly . And I see this bubble crack on the edge of the glass . I’m asking to know if I can do anything to fix this …… I’m really scared it might pop . Am I running a ticking time bomb ?

A0B39D13-D62D-4B17-AC0E-368CB62FC9F1.jpeg EF93564C-F787-4FB4-9E27-AB52EFE738EE.jpeg

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this today and i was transporting it . It his a metal beam on my truck but very slightly . And I see this bubble crack on the edge of the glass . I’m asking to know if I can do anything to fix this …… I’m really scared it might pop . Am I running a ticking time bomb ?

A0B39D13-D62D-4B17-AC0E-368CB62FC9F1.jpeg EF93564C-F787-4FB4-9E27-AB52EFE738EE.jpeg
I had something exactly like this happen to me as well it will be ok!!! Is the edge lose? Will the chipped part come out? If so you can remove it then put a nice healthy glob of silicone on the crack then and then you can put the chipped piece back in and if the silicone leaks over just paint in all around the crack. Is it all the way through to inside the tank? If so you can cut very small pieces of plexiglass and then use silicone to sandwich both sides as well. If it’s just cracked on the outside then just use a paint brush and paint the corner area in it and that should do it. No need to panic yet you still have options!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luikan336

Luikan336

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something exactly like this happen to me as well it will be ok!!! Is the edge lose? Will the chipped part come out? If so you can remove it then put a nice healthy glob of silicone on the crack then and then you can put the chipped piece back in and if the silicone leaks over just paint in all around the crack. Is it all the way through to inside the tank? If so you can cut very small pieces of plexiglass and then use silicone to sandwich both sides as well. If it’s just cracked on the outside then just use a paint brush and paint the corner area in it and that should do it. No need to panic yet you still have options!!
Edge is not loose !

Upvote 0

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You could definitely strengthen it with aquarium glue and do a leak test first.

Upvote 0

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
if you are going to try to save it, i would do it in area with a drain hole. No way would i put that anywhere near my living room. Just not worth it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luikan336

Luikan336

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t risk it. Water damage is a nightmare to deal with and can cause health issues.
Financially I cannot afford another 550 dollar tank at this time . The tank I have I sold it already and I used that money to buy this one so now I’m tight one . I could absolutely maybe get one down 1-2 years not now . The crack doesn’t go all the way through I think I’m gonna do a week pressure hold outside to see if it holds . What do you think ? Also I’m looking into Epoxy or super glue .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luikan336

Luikan336

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are going to try to save it, i would do it in area with a drain hole. No way would i put that anywhere near my living room. Just not worth it.
The crack doesn’t go all the way . It’s very small . I live in an apartment so it’s very small no matter where I would have it . It would be a mess if something happened .

Upvote 0

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Financially I cannot afford another 550 dollar tank at this time . The tank I have I sold it already and I used that money to buy this one so now I’m tight one . I could absolutely maybe get one down 1-2 years not now . The crack doesn’t go all the way through I think I’m gonna do a week pressure hold outside to see if it holds . What do you think ? Also I’m looking into Epoxy or super glue .

I understand your dilemma. I’ve never repaired a crack so I can’t help. I’ve only bought one used tank and it leaked after maybe a year. After that, no more.

Do what is suggested to reinforce it and get some water detectors to put behind and in front of the tank. Get some that will notify you on your cell.

Upvote 0

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the crack it really doesn't look like it will ever be a problem. I would fill it up and let it sit a couple weeks if your really concerned

Upvote 0

Krampus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to water, pressure is mostly calculated by water column height, not volume. Your crack is at the very bottom, which will have the most pressure in the tank. Also, judging by the pics, it appears the fracture is right on the silicone line, which greatly increases your chances of the seam leaking. I understand that you can't afford another tank right now, but can you afford new floors right now? Can you afford water damage repair right now? I would never personally put water in this tank anywhere that I wasn't fine with it leaking, which it's absolutely going to do in the near future.

Upvote 1

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get it from a tank builder? If so see if they can replace that one pane of glass for a small price, that would be a much safer choice. Good luck

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back