OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an original plan of just 2 44 gallon trash cans for water station but the LFS convinced me I needed more salt on hand in case I need to make a large water change so I got 3 instead which meant many trips to the hardware store.

Definitely best to have as much as possible on hand, My belief is if you can have about 50% on hand, that makes a huge difference. I'm doing 2 50 gallon containers, so with 50 gallons of RODI and 50 gallons of Saltwater, that puts me at 50% volume if I need to mix the 50 in RODI quickly.

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely best to have as much as possible on hand, My belief is if you can have about 50% on hand, that makes a huge difference. I'm doing 2 50 gallon containers, so with 50 gallons of RODI and 50 gallons of Saltwater, that puts me at 50% volume if I need to mix the 50 in RODI quickly.
Yeah I thought the same thing that 44 gallons of SW on hand with 44 gallons of RODI would be enough but they convinced me that based off my 200 gallon tank combined with a roughly 40 gallon sump I need 88 gallons of SW on hand with another 44 gallons of RODI ready to mix quickly so I could make a 50% change if things get out of whack.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I thought the same thing that 44 gallons of SW on hand with 44 gallons of RODI would be enough but they convinced me that based off my 200 gallon tank combined with a roughly 40 gallon sump I need 88 gallons of SW on hand with another 44 gallons of RODI ready to mix quickly so I could make a 50% change if things get out of whack.

Would definitely agree more is generally better. Good luck with your build. Ready to see where it goes.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Tank Update***

I received awesome news today! The tank officially shipped yesterday, and I should see it early next week. This means it is time for me to put all of my other projects in overdrive, so when it arrives I can plumb it and get it wet. Unfortunately, I messed my back up this past week, so it slowed me down a bit, but got a shot and medicine today, so hopefully it kicks in and we should have some updates coming fast and furious. Can't wait! I've owned probably 25+ tanks over the years, and I'm most excited about this build. It's going to be a fun one!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
***Tank Update***

I received awesome news today! The tank officially shipped yesterday, and I should see it early next week. This means it is time for me to put all of my other projects in overdrive, so when it arrives I can plumb it and get it wet. Unfortunately, I messed my back up this past week, so it slowed me down a bit, but got a shot and medicine today, so hopefully it kicks in and we should have some updates coming fast and furious. Can't wait! I've owned probably 25+ tanks over the years, and I'm most excited about this build. It's going to be a fun one!
Congrats!! Can’t wait to see it all come together!

The A Team 80S GIF

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Water Mixing Station Update***

So I finished putting together my water mixing station tonight and have officially started making RODI water to prepare for the tank's arrival next week. I was also able to finish the aqua scape tonight, and just have to cover my epoxy seams with powdered rock. I'm very pleased with how it came together and I'll post an update of it soon.

IMG_2404.jpeg
IMG_2405.jpeg

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Water Mixing Station Update***

So I finished putting together my water mixing station tonight and have officially started making RODI water to prepare for the tank's arrival next week. I was also able to finish the aqua scape tonight, and just have to cover my epoxy seams with powdered rock. I'm very pleased with how it came together and I'll post an update of it soon.

IMG_2404.jpeg
IMG_2405.jpeg
Sweet!!! Can't wait to see the scape. Question how are you going to get water from the station to the system itself?

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!!! Can't wait to see the scape. Question how are you going to get water from the station to the system itself?

I have a couple options for getting water to the tank.

#1 - 5 Gallon Jugs
#2 - Plumbed

My hope is that I can use the plumbed port and pump water directly to the setup. This was more of an afterthought honestly, but it's plumbed to do so. The key here is if my pump is powerful enough to pump water from my mixing station in the garage to the tank. Hopefully I'll find out this week when the tank is delivered.

Please be plumbed... Please...

See above answer. It is plumbed, just have to try it to see if it works out.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Aquascape Update***

So I finished my aquascape this weekend and I'm so pleased with how it all came together. I still have to cover the epoxy lines with powdered rock, and I've since started this process, but it's complete outside of that. Below are a few pictures and I'll also attach a video of a walkthrough of the scape. I feel the video best represents the 3D value of the scape. Can't wait to get it going!

IMG_2399.jpeg
IMG_2398.jpeg
IMG_2400.jpeg

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Aquascape Update***

So I finished my aquascape this weekend and I'm so pleased with how it all came together. I still have to cover the epoxy lines with powdered rock, and I've since started this process, but it's complete outside of that. Below are a few pictures and I'll also attach a video of a walkthrough of the scape. I feel the video best represents the 3D value of the scape. Can't wait to get it going!

IMG_2399.jpeg
IMG_2398.jpeg
IMG_2400.jpeg

Very nice! Plenty of hiding spots for the fish. I didn't realize you already received your stand before your tank. Mine both showed up on the same day. I also had to spend a day removing all the trash from the tank with a trip to the landfill.

A direct plumb to the tank from the station would be super awesome and certainly better than hauling buckets. I choose to just install a garden hose attachment where you had the output ball valve port on your station so I can just walk a hose to the tanks and fill that way.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Plenty of hiding spots for the fish. I didn't realize you already received your stand before your tank. Mine both showed up on the same day. I also had to spend a day removing all the trash from the tank with a trip to the landfill.

A direct plumb to the tank from the station would be super awesome and certainly better than hauling buckets. I choose to just install a garden hose attachment where you had the output ball valve port on your station so I can just walk a hose to the tanks and fill that way.

That's definitely the plan with an attachment there. I paid $200 to have the stand shipped early (since it was in stock and tank wasn't) so that when the tank came, I would already have it built and somewhat ready for plumbing/equipment to speed the process along. Just received the call that FedEx will be delivering tomorrow. Let's go!

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely the plan with an attachment there. I paid $200 to have the stand shipped early (since it was in stock and tank wasn't) so that when the tank came, I would already have it built and somewhat ready for plumbing/equipment to speed the process along. Just received the call that FedEx will be delivering tomorrow. Let's go!
Super excited for you man.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOOOOICE! Best of luck on the plumbing and as I just found out electrical cord management is even more tricky than the plumbing.

Thanks man. It can definitely be a challenge and organizing the cords and controllers is absolutely a different animal. Good luck!

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to work through some of the plumbing this evening. I also realized I didn't order enough parts, so I placed a last minute BRS order with a few extras so I would know I'm good to finish this weekend. Plumbing can be extremely frustrating, but also rewarding in the end when done right. Below is a progress pic. Thanks for following along.

IMG_2423.jpeg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to work through some of the plumbing this evening. I also realized I didn't order enough parts, so I placed a last minute BRS order with a few extras so I would know I'm good to finish this weekend. Plumbing can be extremely frustrating, but also rewarding in the end when done right. Below is a progress pic. Thanks for following along.

IMG_2423.jpeg
My favorite part of the build is the plumbing.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back