OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious, why did you ditch the vectra and go neptune?

I planned on running a Vectra again when I first started the planning of this system. The biggest reason I chose the COR 15 was to try something new and also because I wouldn’t have to run an additional power cable, as it plugs in to the Neptune directly for power. I have a total of 16 controllable plugs, and adding an additional pump would actually put me over the 16 I have. Overall I’ve seen good reviews of the COR, so thought it was worth a shot.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockwork Update

I was able to get a bit more completed on my rockscape a couple days ago, so thought I would share a video of the progress. I believe I am done with this left part of the scape, only need to cover my glue and putty lines with powdered rock to blend the lines. I’m really happy with this one overall. It provides a giant cove that will be perfect for a large tang or my Quoyi Parrot to rest and plenty of other overhangs and tunnels for fish to hide and swim though. Can’t wait to keep putting more together. Let me know your thoughts.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking nice. I'm planning a tank this size either IM ext or a Miracles for a few more inches of water depth.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking nice. I'm planning a tank this size either IM ext or a Miracles for a few more inches of water depth.

I think it’s a great size for sure. Only thing I would change if I could would be 24” depth instead of 22”, but I wouldn’t want any deeper than that personally. I’ve had deeper tanks and it just makes maintenance that much more difficult. I also do wish someone made a readily available 36” wide setup, but 30” is even rare to find in a prefab tank. Good luck with your decision and thanks for following along!

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Tank Update***

So I received some good and bad news this past week. My tank has unfortunately been delayed 1 month according to Innovative Marine. I still have a ton to do on getting everything going, but definitely bummed it’s been pushed back. The main thing I’ve been focused on is getting my rock built and ready, and now have 2 of the 3 sections completed. I’ll post pictures once I have it all done before I throw it in a stock tank to start cycling while waiting on the tank.

The next thing I‘ll post here to track the progress is the light bars.
B5C48BB7-3192-4C77-A257-E2BE54E376DF.jpeg
63E333EA-84EA-41B0-832D-48277F0C3F0D.jpeg
C28337D1-0B80-4601-815D-669D1C276127.jpeg
I think the light bars I built with 80/20 pieces turned out great. Super pumped for where this is going and thanks for following along!

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got the 200 int coming and got the 36" sump , really nervous now lol do you plan on putting a back on the stand and if so what ?

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and clean looking.

Thanks a lot man. Definitely pleased with how it’s coming together and trying to ensure everything is cleaned and organized on the front end to make sure it can stay that way.

I got the 200 int coming and got the 36" sump , really nervous now lol do you plan on putting a back on the stand and if so what ?

I feel pretty good about the 36” working out just fine since I’m not running the water level high in the skimmer section. I’m not putting anything on the back of the stand. Leaving it open for good air-flow and heat dissipation. Also keeping the tank 6” off the back wall to give some space as well.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far! I'm about ready to start doing similar rockwork so looking forward to seeing some more pictures :)

Thanks a lot. Have some major updates to the rockwork I’ll post soon. I‘m really happy with how it’s going. I think the biggest key to success with building this type of scape is using smaller pieces to build larger pieces. Good luck!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call on the water level in my sump. I do have all of the water level adjustment slide panels as high as they will go. So there is some room to be had there if needed. I had never really considered that until just now. I will play with this over the next week (lower the sump level as far as I can) and share my results with you. I can really only lower the first chamber due to my AC return pump, but it is the largest section.

This pic is where it is at now. I might be able to drop the left side about 2 inches.
So I let my water come down slowly while I adjusted the refugium to skimmer baffle down. I had to pump out some saltwater to keep my salinity in check. Now with the refugium section 1.75 inches lower, and basicly level with the skimmer section, the sump does have a lot more room for the display to drain down into. Side benefit is that I no longer have the waterfall spill over into the skimmer section, so less noise. No noise really. So this is a win win. I would not have done this had you not made me think about it. Thanks.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I let my water come down slowly while I adjusted the refugium to skimmer baffle down. I had to pump out some saltwater to keep my salinity in check. Now with the refugium section 1.75 inches lower, and basicly level with the skimmer section, the sump does have a lot more room for the display to drain down into. Side benefit is that I no longer have the waterfall spill over into the skimmer section, so less noise. No noise really. So this is a win win. I would not have done this had you not made me think about it. Thanks.

Awesome news man. Glad to hear it worked out for you and also anxious to make sure it works for me. I’m pretty confident it will though. I’m going to test it without the back siphon stops, but then install those so it gives even more room. Like to make sure just in case they ever fail.

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the leveling of the APS stand. Does it have feet like the Red Sea stands or does it need to be shimmed to level?
Mine came with feet but they are just attached via adhesive and they fall off easily. I dunno what the Red Stand is like so I am unable to compare. No shimming was required I lost a foot that was like I said taped to the corner and have the stand on two different carpets and once I put the self level mat on the stand it was perfectly level no problem. Hope that helps. My build thread is here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-new-200g-peninsula-build.883682/

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the leveling of the APS stand. Does it have feet like the Red Sea stands or does it need to be shimmed to level?

No feet like the newer red sea stands. You would need to shim to level if your floor isn’t level. Luckily where I’m placing mine, I’m good on that front. I did see someone post pics of modifying the 170ext stand and adding very heavy duty leveling feet w/ wheels, that I would love to figure out how they did it and if it would work, but he hasn’t responded to my message to request more info. I’m very pleased with the quality of the stand.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Small Update***

I successfully mounted my son's old iPad mini to the wall next to the tank when coming in our office to work as a Neptune control panel. It looks really nice and believe it will be nice to have so conveniently all the time. I have also worked on the rock a bit more, but really want to try to finish them this weekend so I can start the process of cycling them and getting them ready for when the tank arrives. I also started the process for my water mixing station and really excited for how it's coming together. For now, I'll post a quick picture of the iPad and the setup used for it and where it is going in relation to the tank. I'll post more updates very soon.

IMG_2374.jpeg

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Small Update***

I successfully mounted my son's old iPad mini to the wall next to the tank when coming in our office to work as a Neptune control panel. It looks really nice and believe it will be nice to have so conveniently all the time. I have also worked on the rock a bit more, but really want to try to finish them this weekend so I can start the process of cycling them and getting them ready for when the tank arrives. I also started the process for my water mixing station and really excited for how it's coming together. For now, I'll post a quick picture of the iPad and the setup used for it and where it is going in relation to the tank. I'll post more updates very soon.

IMG_2374.jpeg
I had an original plan of just 2 44 gallon trash cans for water station but the LFS convinced me I needed more salt on hand in case I need to make a large water change so I got 3 instead which meant many trips to the hardware store.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back