I purchased a three year old 13.5 Fluval With Coral

disgustinglyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just purchased a tank from someone that had it going for three years the tank was in bad shape when I got it. Lots of bubble algae and aptasia. The sand was horrible I have had it about one month I got a clean up crew and then did a deep cleaning of the tank. And now it’s in great shape It has a bunch of Kenya tree green mushroom and a 5 head hammer coral a 2 headed Duncan ,Acan zoa Gsp and about 6 fish 30 crabs and 5 snails the hammer coral is not doing the best cleaning since I have had it the tank has been stable I have added a bio brick and extra filter floss and do weekly water changes

all of a sudden the hammer closed and if it opens it looks droopy and one mushroom is starting to melt away

so I did a 50% water change yesterday I also cleaned and checked all power heads the sand is still dirty because of Rock placement it’s very difficult to clean but I did and a bunch of hermits and snails to hopefully get it all and I woke up to more of a melted mushroom and a dead clown goby who was a great eater I added him the day I got the tank.
The Duncan is closed very tight and the Gsp open once in a while could it be Old Tank Syndrome

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing what your parameters or lighting/flow is, I can't really help explain what is going on.

Perhaps all of the moving of the sand and rocks released some toxins? Too much all at once? Again, post parameters. You said the tank was in bad shape when you got it, so I'm guessing all of the "deep cleaning" that you said you did could have put the stressed out corals over the edge.

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just purchased a tank from someone that had it going for three years the tank was in bad shape when I got it. Lots of bubble algae and aptasia. The sand was horrible I have had it about one month I got a clean up crew and then did a deep cleaning of the tank. And now it’s in great shape It has a bunch of Kenya tree green mushroom and a 5 head hammer coral a 2 headed Duncan ,Acan zoa Gsp and about 6 fish 30 crabs and 5 snails the hammer coral is not doing the best cleaning since I have had it the tank has been stable I have added a bio brick and extra filter floss and do weekly water changes

all of a sudden the hammer closed and if it opens it looks droopy and one mushroom is starting to melt away

so I did a 50% water change yesterday I also cleaned and checked all power heads the sand is still dirty because of Rock placement it’s very difficult to clean but I did and a bunch of hermits and snails to hopefully get it all and I woke up to more of a melted mushroom and a dead clown goby who was a great eater I added him the day I got the tank.
The Duncan is closed very tight and the Gsp open once in a while could it be Old Tank Syndrome
Could you send some pictures?

OP
OP
D

disgustinglyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing what your parameters or lighting/flow is, I can't really help explain what is going on.

Perhaps all of the moving of the sand and rocks released some toxins? Too much all at once? Again, post parameters. You said the tank was in bad shape when you got it, so I'm guessing all of the "deep cleaning" that you said you did could have put the stressed out corals over the edge.
Could you send some pictures?

Attachments

• C83D9C82-3A80-4DFA-81D3-C62800752B87.jpeg
    C83D9C82-3A80-4DFA-81D3-C62800752B87.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 76
  • B488BEF9-4DEC-4628-9187-1E8FB6E8A4EF.jpeg
    B488BEF9-4DEC-4628-9187-1E8FB6E8A4EF.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DD5549FF-1B58-4BB4-9A04-1641549051B7.jpeg
    DD5549FF-1B58-4BB4-9A04-1641549051B7.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 74

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed we can tell solely from pics if you have prevented the ots or if its still in effect. can't wait to see that sandbed cross section shot.

OP
OP
D

disgustinglyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got a spin test yesterday at LAX aquarium they told me everything was fine
1227 Mag
24 nitrate
And I can’t really remember the rest next time I’ll take a picture

OP
OP
D

disgustinglyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20210531_094504.jpg
    20210531_094504.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210531_094454.jpg
    20210531_094454.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210531_094439.jpg
    20210531_094439.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210531_094433.jpg
    20210531_094433.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210531_094426.jpg
    20210531_094426.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210531_094414.jpg
    20210531_094414.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 68

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks quite nice. Could be hammer just changing for the day based on other corals it should not be offended and likely w just come back soon. Nice deep clean here

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good move. Let’s get it crankin’ for about a week and dialed-in, and see what kind of gunk it skims out. Best wishes going forward!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a spin test yesterday at LAX aquarium they told me everything was fine
1227 Mag
24 nitrate
And I can’t really remember the rest next time I’ll take a picture
Worst. Tester. Ever. Right up there with the API test kits.
You'll want to get yourself some test kits so you can monitor Calcium, Alk, Nitrate and Phosphate.
Also, get a glass scraper and get all of that algae off the glass.
It also looks like the surface of your water has a lot of stuff on it. You'll want to get some surface agitation going. That'll help with aeration as well.

OP
OP
D

disgustinglyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst. Tester. Ever. Right up there with the API test kits.
You'll want to get yourself some test kits so you can monitor Calcium, Alk, Nitrate and Phosphate.
Also, get a glass scraper and get all of that algae off the glass.
It also looks like the surface of your water has a lot of stuff on it. You'll want to get some surface agitation going. That'll help with aeration as well.
Any brand you recommend

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any brand you recommend
I use the Hanna colormeters for my phosphate and alkalinity. I use a Red Sea kit for Nitrate (although I'll probably get the Hanna high range colormeter when it comes out). For calcium, I use Salifert. I also have Red Sea and Salifert kits for the other parameters, in case my Hanna is down or I think the numbers aren't right.

cngh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not critical, but at some point soon you should improve your surface skimming. Looks like a lot of stuff floating on the surface.

You said you did a deep clean of the sand...which means you took it and the live rock out. can't say for sure but might have started a mini-cycle. Small ammonia and nitrite spike could be why the clown goby died and corals are unhappy. Getting test results will be helpful.

OP
OP
D

disgustinglyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not critical, but at some point soon you should improve your surface skimming. Looks like a lot of stuff floating on the surface.

You said you did a deep clean of the sand...which means you took it and the live rock out. can't say for sure but might have started a mini-cycle. Small ammonia and nitrite spike could be why the clown goby died and corals are unhappy. Getting test results will be helpful.
Ok getting it tested again will post results later

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x2. some surface agitation would probably go a long way. a 13 gallon tank is the right size tank for a random flow generator

OP
OP
D

disgustinglyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update I bought all the Hanna checkers

and the tank is doing much better I got a AI Prime 16 and I now run Saxby with 2-5% blues at night just because I like to see the tank at all times

I have had a few casualties mostly my fault and mostly clownfish I lost 2 corals
A pulsing Xenia it fell in to the sand and I could get it with out destroying the other coral and I lost a star pylop same thing happened now I’m better with glue But yeah it’s been a lot of $$ but a lot of fun

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back