I put cyano and GHA in my tank on purpose...

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem and could not remove the red algae. I was manually doing it with 5 gallon water changes. I finally broke down and used chemiclean and let me tell you it worked wonders. Just use it at 1/2 the recommended dose. Run your skimmer and a airstone with air pump. I mean my phosphate and nitrates were almost 0 and the Cyanobacteria would not go away. It says to turn uv off and this last time I left it on and it worked great. I have been completely Cyanobacteria free and now I am not running any gfo at all. If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask?

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a product from Microbe-Lift called special blend. It is a live bacterial product. Have been using it for 5 days now and the red slime / cyno have been receding. Following the directions on the bottle . Skimmer is pulling out some nasty colored skim mate. Ran socks for the first few days to catch as much as I could. There have been no issues with losses in the tank. Second dose is in 3 more days. My thought fight bacteria with bacteria.

OP
OP
Artillerydrill

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why some swear about ULN because than they feel that they don't have to worry about anything because there are no nutrients at all for anything to grow. That's not easy to do if you have fish. i also think that you have a lot of starving corals potentially.

I doubt that the corals are starving i dose Red Sea A and B everyday

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we knew what the cause was , this would be a easy fix. I have seen low nutrient tank and high nutrient tanks with this issue. I am assuming this is a bacterial issue so combatting it with different strains of bacteria seem to help. I am by no means have a way to prove this out other than trusting a product to try to out compete it. Fighting fire with fire .

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d actually look at that as a cause.
+1 on this

These contain amino acids... aka bacteria food.

I would cut them out completely for a week and see what happens.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do but to be fair i only started dosing this a week ago and I’ve had the algae for around 4 months
Ah, good to know. I doubt it is the cause then but it is possible that it will hinder a solution.

I do like the direction you are going with both NO3 and PO4 dosing. I would also stir the sandbed daily to keep things broken up. That should help if you are running felt sock filters and change them fairly regularly.

OP
OP
Artillerydrill

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, good to know. I doubt it is the cause then but it is possible that it will hinder a solution.

I do like the direction you are going with both NO3 and PO4 dosing. I would also stir the sandbed daily to keep things broken up. That should help if you are running felt sock filters and change them fairly regularly.

Yep i got 4 filter socks running with 4 more on standby i do need to get some carbon though

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep i got 4 filter socks running with 4 more on standby i do need to get some carbon though
I think GAC is a must when treating Dino's since they can release toxins.

If you don't find any success in a week or so of doing this then I would go to adding biodiversity. Some people like to add nitrifying bacteria products which doesn't hurt but I'm not convinced is overly helpful. I would recommend getting either Garf Grunge or Walt Smith Fiji Mud.

Lots of good bacteria and algae in both products. The Garf Grunge can get you more, larger critters which can be a good thing. The Fiji Mud gives you some trace elements which can help. Either way, it is a great way to add diversity to tanks established with dry rock or "live rock" that was made live in a tub or lab.

Every tank has cyano and dino's in them, you can't keep them out. I don't remember if it was mentioned in this thread but it is very difficult to eradicate cyano or dino's. The best way to get rid of them is to let something better out compete them. Tanks set up with true live rock rarely have issues unless the hobbyist creates a limitation through excessive carbon dosing or GFO use. Even then, it is hard to do in a mature system.

OP
OP
Artillerydrill

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think GAC is a must when treating Dino's since they can release toxins.

If you don't find any success in a week or so of doing this then I would go to adding biodiversity. Some people like to add nitrifying bacteria products which doesn't hurt but I'm not convinced is overly helpful. I would recommend getting either Garf Grunge or Walt Smith Fiji Mud.

Lots of good bacteria and algae in both products. The Garf Grunge can get you more, larger critters which can be a good thing. The Fiji Mud gives you some trace elements which can help. Either way, it is a great way to add diversity to tanks established with dry rock or "live rock" that was made live in a tub or lab.

Every tank has cyano and dino's in them, you can't keep them out. I don't remember if it was mentioned in this thread but it is very difficult to eradicate cyano or dino's. The best way to get rid of them is to let something better out compete them. Tanks set up with true live rock rarely have issues unless the hobbyist creates a limitation through excessive carbon dosing or GFO use. Even then, it is hard to do in a mature system.[/QUOTE
Thanks I’ll do some research on garf grunge. My rock is carribsea life rock aka that fake stuff

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, do some homework.

When you read reviews just keep something in mind. This stuff was considered aquatic gold at one point and then the guy who sold it died. His family didn't have a feel for the business and they struggled with it for a few years. My understanding is that they brought in some help and that the quality is back up at least close to where it was. So, if you see what seem to be very contradictory reviews, that likely plays a part. This is one of the main reasons I went with the Fiji Mud. To do it over wold be a tossup.

Oh.. .and their website is terrible!!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Artillerydrill

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I was slow on the warning! The website is historic. And historically awful.

There is a store link on the top middle of the front page. Oval button.. hidden in the clutter. Here is a link to the store.
http://www.garf.org/!paypal2010/Store.html

Thanks i can definitely get the Fiji mud do you put it in dishes or just in the refuge somewhere?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back