I really messed up…

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my pistol shrimp flipped over a frag (again) and I didn’t act fast enough to fix it. Now, my previously healthy (and rare) lithophyllon is dying of BJD. This isn’t even the first case of BJD this week for me, and I fear that it will continue to spread. Especially since some of the jelly got into the tank while I was removing the coral. I need quick advice on saving not only this valuable coral, but also stopping the spread (I don’t have any cipro on hand). How can I save a coral such as this litho, which isn’t a branching one? The remaining flesh that wasn’t buried appears to be healthy, but in my previous BJD experience, that doesn’t last very long. Thank you all in advance.
B6E6A943-368A-4E3E-8FA5-57AC5319A12F.jpeg

PS- the blasto above it isn’t infected, it’s just closed up at the moment.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean for cyanobacteria is the most available anti bacterial product and what id recommend trying. It saved a torch from bjd for me on one occasion and after i started stocking cipro.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean for cyanobacteria is the most available anti bacterial product and what id recommend trying. It saved a torch from bjd for me on one occasion and after i started stocking cipro.
I do have it but wasn’t sure if it would work too well.
Probably best to give it a shot.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Cipro with good results to treat BJD. Here is an article on it

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I managed to stop the infection’s spread, and the remaining coral tissue is alive. I started with a 30-40 min dip in iodine, then placed it in a solution of saltwater and hydrogen peroxide. No signs of brown slime since. I’m unsure, however, of when it is safe to return the coral to the DT. It’s not exactly in a real QT system, and I don’t think it’ll last very long in a fish bowl with a tiny LED.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back