I Really Really Really want to see a Triggerfish/Lionfish Dominant tank

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone successfully created a duel species tank of these two opposite predators!!?? I really would love to see/learn from the experiance

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly how it goes but then again they say not to mix the same body type of wrasse or not to add multiple of the same angelfish, or even a trio of maroon clowns etc but people have done it! I bet someone out there has added triggers with lion fish successfully and plenty of them at that

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A person on another forum I talked to has kept a queen trigger and volitans together for almost two years now. Just gotta get luck I guess.

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to have a Lion, Trigger and Eel in a tank for over a year now. I've seen each of them take food from the others mouths , so far no blood shed. The trigger seems to know not to push it with the Lion, though I would think that the trigger could do some damage if he wanted to.

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to have a Lion, Trigger and Eel in a tank for over a year now. I've seen each of them take food from the others mouths , so far no blood shed. The trigger seems to know not to push it with the Lion, though I would think that the trigger could do some damage if he wanted to.
Which species of each?

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning I wanted to put a Clown Trigger in instead of the Niger but I was pretty sure that I would be pushing my luck.
Very cool. I have a snowflake and a pink tail. I'll be getting a lion soon. So we'll see!

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow can you post videos of the two together and or pictures?? And Queen Trigs are aggressive I'm surprised that worked!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly how it goes but then again they say not to mix the same body type of wrasse or not to add multiple of the same angelfish, or even a trio of maroon clowns etc but people have done it! I bet someone out there has added triggers with lion fish successfully and plenty of them at that
For each of the scenarios mentioned there is a reason why it works.
1) Not to mix the same body type of wrasse. -as somewhat of a wrasse aficionado, whoever said this is just wrong.

2) Multiple of the same angelfish should not be kept together. -lg angels are pr forming and small angels are haremic. If specimens are put together while young enough, and with enough space, they form their natural bonds.

3) Trio of maroon clowns can't be done. -Clownfish are colonial, if specimens are acquired young enough they will form their natural bonds.

Knowing why something may or may not work is important.

Triggers are intelligent, and many species are quite aggressive. They have powerful jaws and sharp teeth. They are curious and explore their surroundings with their mouth.

Lionfish are slow, have long delicate fins, and are generally quite peaceful.

Both fish are long lived. Even if you were to get away with it for a year or two, will you be able to get away with it for 10-12+ years?

The 'best' chances for success would be with one of the more peaceful triggers, such as pink tail or blue throat.

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree and as always I hightly value your expertise TJ and your wrasse dominant tank at that! I also didn't mean wrasses I meant the same body type of tangs (even though in the wild yellow tangs for example school) I have yet to see a school of multiple different species of tangs in the wild all as one unit. And I know that if young enough the fish such as angels and clowns can create a bond I was curious if that was the same with triggers and lionfish (or if it is like when we try to tame wild tigers and they are fine when young but turn when they get older)

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow can you post videos of the two together and or pictures?? And Queen Trigs are aggressive I'm surprised that worked!

FB_IMG_1464954729575.jpg

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that is absolutely amazing :p

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow so the two aren't being aggressive to each other because they are wreaking havoc on everything else!?

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it? Though honestly, keeping a 3in clown and 4in wrasse with a foot long lion isn't the best idea.

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probly not you are right haha I wonder if he would be successful adding other lions in there since that triggerfish is used to that one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back