I Really Really Really want to see a Triggerfish/Lionfish Dominant tank

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I believe the Bluethroat and Crosshatch/Pink Tail, as well as the Sargassum (correct me if I'm wrong) are the most docile trigger species (among Xanichthys, Melichthys and thr Niger Trigger) as they are planktivores rather than true blue carnivores
Triggers still tend to be very territorial.
The snowflake eel, on the other hand, actually doesn't have any specialized structure to eat or even hurt fish, and as such he too is unlikely to be an aggressor.

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OKAY, a friend of mine has friend and he's gonna send me a lion from his place. They're a wholesale company out of California, and he told me to fill the box up to get my money's worth. Now I don't intend to go crazy adding a ton of fish, but are they're any other recommendations ya'll have?

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OKAY, a friend of mine has friend and he's gonna send me a lion from his place. They're a wholesale company out of California, and he told me to fill the box up to get my money's worth. Now I don't intend to go crazy adding a ton of fish, but are they're any other recommendations ya'll have?
Depending on the size of your tank, and considering the predators in your tank, get a large conch (genus name lobatus or stronbus). Queen conch or milky conch will do it. It'll work as a sand sifter and detritivore. You could get an abalone on top of that to clean your algae and you'd be set. And if that's not going to work look into some cleaner crabs (like emerald crab). Otherwise I don't know anything that would be able to stand up to a trigger (even a non carnivorous trigger).

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of the conches and abalone though.
I'll see Monday. He'll take pics and I can pick what I want

GroverSenpai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size of your tank, and considering the predators in your tank, get a large conch (genus name lobatus or stronbus). Queen conch or milky conch will do it. It'll work as a sand sifter and detritivore. You could get an abalone on top of that to clean your algae and you'd be set. And if that's not going to work look into some cleaner crabs (like emerald crab). Otherwise I don't know anything that would be able to stand up to a trigger (even a non carnivorous trigger).
I haven't heard or seen conches in any of my local marine fish stores and farms, are they hard to keep?
That too. If he has the system to withstand yet another predator.

Dragon wrasse is beautiful too.
Ah yes I really love wrasses, the Dragon being one of them. Perhaps a Red Coris Wrasse could be a consideration as well :)

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard or seen conches in any of my local marine fish stores and farms, are they hard to keep?

Ah yes I really love wrasses, the Dragon being one of them. Perhaps a Red Coris Wrasse could be a consideration as well :)
Conches are just the basic requirements for inverts. Enough detritus to eat, with 0 nitrates phosphates, stable sg, stable temperature, etc..

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conches are just the basic requirements for inverts. Enough detritus to eat, with 0 nitrates phosphates, stable sg, stable temperature, etc..
The two little conches I have are hardy as hell. No idea how they survived when my nitrates are at like 80 for a few weeks. I was out of town and my family isn't too great with my stuff

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two little conches I have are hardy as hell. No idea how they survived when my nitrates are at like 80 for a few weeks. I was out of town and my family isn't too great with my stuff
Well yeah, something that eats detritus obviously needs to be able to withstand the nitrates caused by rotting detritus.
Huh, perhaps they are really durable then?

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yeah, something that eats detritus obviously needs to be able to withstand the nitrates caused by rotting detritus.
Huh, perhaps they are really durable then?
Yeah I have two. They're tiny though so barely see them. Maybe...2 inches long?

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I really have a the tusk and lunar together? I've just been reading things lol

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see his price on the tusk. What size should I be aiming for? The miniatus will fight him when he arrives.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see his price on the tusk. What size should I be aiming for? The miniatus will fight him when he arrives.
How big is the miniatus?
Also, definitely definitely definitely get an Australian one. They both live longer and are better colored. (They're still really expensive though :/)

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the miniatus?
Also, definitely definitely definitely get an Australian one. They both live longer and are better colored. (They're still really expensive though :/)
Haha if not a tusk, then what would you pick that isn't too pricey?
My miniatus...looks huge compared to my lunar. I'd say maybe...7.5in? It's hard to tell

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back