I Really Really Really want to see a Triggerfish/Lionfish Dominant tank

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish Lair Well I would say that the timing of this thread is coincidentally making me say hmm... After a year of coexisting together my Trigger decided not to play nice anymore, so.....he goes to his new home tonight.
I'm thinking of adopting this beautiful Fu Manchu Lionfish as a replacement. Anyone have thoughts on the compatibility of the Fu and a Dwarf Zebra?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's not like i've wanted this lionfish since I started this hobby....TT^TT

IMG_1322.JPG

Oh no!!! That was going to be a phenomenal one.

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish Lair Well I would say that the timing of this thread is coincidentally making me say hmm... After a year of coexisting together my Trigger decided not to play nice anymore, so.....he goes to his new home tonight.
I'm thinking of adopting this beautiful Fu Manchu Lionfish as a replacement. Anyone have thoughts on the compatibility of the Fu and a Dwarf Zebra?
What type of trigger? I have a pink tail with my lion

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of trigger? I have a pink tail with my lion
He was a Niger. I put all 3 of them together at one time and it worked for over a year. He started "feeling his oats" as they say. About a week ago I noticed that the tail fin on the Lion was missing some webbing and this morning as I went to feed I saw the Trigger nipping the Lions tail, the Lion went into defensive mode instantly. I knew I had to find the Trigger a new home. He is now in his new domain and I brought home the Fu Manchu Lion tonight.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the internet and all the info about triggers and lions not being able to live together, I had a volitan lion live with a niger and picasso for at least 6 years. During that time even a clown trigger joined them for about 2 years. The clown trigger went to a larger home when his aggression got out of hand. His aggression was toward the other triggers, not the lion. I never saw any attempt toward the lion, I think some incidents may have been accidental during a feeding frenzy, and perhaps even somewhat blown out of proportion. Also triggers need space so maybe when people tried them in smaller tanks it didn't work, many fish don't work with triggers in smaller tanks. Just my 2 cents.

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I get all this right having the said above fish in a 125g would not be recommended? Guess I should have looked a little closer when stocking mine then cause I have a Picasso trigger, volitane lionfish, snowflake eel, panther grouper, an a foxface rabbitfish in mine now an as long as I feed them they seem to be doing fine. Your thoughts?

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I get all this right having the said above fish in a 125g would not be recommended? Guess I should have looked a little closer when stocking mine then cause I have a Picasso trigger, volitane lionfish, snowflake eel, panther grouper, an a foxface rabbitfish in mine now an as long as I feed them they seem to be doing fine. Your thoughts?
Basically, the Picasso is gonna go crazy one day and also way too huge. The panther grouper will be chill, but he will get MASSIVE. As 125 cannot hold a panther grouper for its in entire life. The lion, Fox, and snowflake should be perfectly fine.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You might be fine with all those fish, at least for a long good while depending on what size you are starting with. The snowflake and foxface will never be a problem, The lionfish gets large but they perch alot and I have kept them in smaller tanks for many years. The grouper gets huge but tends to float around, I don't know how fast they grow but at some point you may need to rehome him. I've kept picassos(they grown pretty slow) in smaller tanks for many years, I even had one with a niger and lion in a 40 before going to a 90 for many years. Make sure you have a good skimmer, don't let your nitrates get totally out of control, if they do use one of the nitrates reducing methods, I use red sea nopox. A full grown picasso and panther would probably be more at home in a 180, if you can't upsize at some point then find the grouper a new home.

1tank1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a clown trigger that is reef safe. My lfs said all his triggers are reefsafe lol...scared to add another trigger in

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, the Picasso is gonna go crazy one day and also way too huge. The panther grouper will be chill, but he will get MASSIVE. As 125 cannot hold a panther grouper for its in entire life. The lion, Fox, and snowflake should be perfectly fine.
Nah, a panther grouper won't be chill, he'll outgrow everything and gulp down every other tankmate.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a clown trigger that is reef safe. My lfs said all his triggers are reefsafe lol...scared to add another trigger in

One day don't be surprised if he starts shredding everything in your tank, just cause.

1tank1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for now he is lol, been in the tank for 4 months. never touch anything. finger cross.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6" Niger gets along well in my 300 g reef tank with everyone except a yellow flanked fairy wrasse. Gives him a chase now and then. IMO triggers need room to roam and a proper diet. Like all cautious reef safe fish they can turn anytime.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back