I received a box of rocks today.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth and color improvement are awesome. I have been thinking about your thinking...lol...you mentioned you might turn your lights up, and the great encrusting growth makes me think you are getting plenty of light. With soft corals and plants, I could change the growth pattern by changing the lights. Less intense light caused the growth upward and more intense light encouraged horizontal growth. Does this apply to hard corals? I know there are so many variables. .

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth and color improvement are awesome. I have been thinking about your thinking...lol...you mentioned you might turn your lights up, and the great encrusting growth makes me think you are getting plenty of light. With soft corals and plants, I could change the growth pattern by changing the lights. Less intense light caused the growth upward and more intense light encouraged horizontal growth. Does this apply to hard corals? I know there are so many variables. .

Interesting. Like switching to a blooming schedule. My understanding is they are trying to secure themselves to the rock. Once they feel secure, they will grow outward. I could be wrong of course and lighting obviously plays a role. I think the heavy flow may contribute more to their need to encrust. Luckily, for this experiment, the answer will come in time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned in the BTA thread, the anemone bubbles are returning just to the back side of the anemone, shown here on the right. There have been no changes to the tank at all.
FAA2DDD3-8C22-416B-8A6B-122A935CCCE6.jpeg

A top down just for fun
E2790C6D-06DD-4BA3-89A8-8727EA4CC089.jpeg

Last edited:

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Growth - BC Battlejuice

I wanted to post some coral growth pictures to help me keep track. After thinking and trying a few things I decided to do these one coral at a time using individual images. Tonight’s entry is the BattleCorals Battlejuice. The frag has really colored up. At first it started slow, but has really been encrusting well since the beginning of 2019.

E17B1F6E-95C4-4186-8EE1-C86A2EAB31CC.jpeg

210BEA2F-92BE-47DD-8FBA-515FD7C28D93.jpeg

50A64B54-8814-4CB0-B52B-1CD0375F2AFF.jpeg

Top Down
B35AD067-478E-44E8-B03F-23B328CA46C6.jpeg

This was one I only had a few images of, so it was a good test for me. More corals to follow during the rest of the week.

Very nice! I have found that the new outward growth from new segments that grew in my tank grow much faster that the original frag.
Also keeping my ph above 8.3!!! I like to see it. 8.35 - 8.45 which really accelerates growth. But alk consumption at 8.2-8.3 vs 8.35-8.45 increases at abot 40%-50%. Which is cool until the ph dips and the alk raises.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the clown spend more time in part of anemone that is not bubbling back up?

Nope. He is all over. No idea really. Just started bubbling again in the back end randomly.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I have found that the new outward growth from new segments that grew in my tank grow much faster that the original frag.
Also keeping my ph above 8.3!!! I like to see it. 8.35 - 8.45 which really accelerates growth. But alk consumption at 8.2-8.3 vs 8.35-8.45 increases at abot 40%-50%. Which is cool until the ph dips and the alk raises.

My pH stays pretty steady at 8.3. Been that way for months. Happy with that and I must say for some reason I do not get much of a drop at night as I did at first. My dosing runs spaced over a 24 hour period so maybe that helps keep things even.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love seeing the growth pictures! Hearing the bubbles are coming back makes me happy. I thought once they lost the bubbles they wouldn’t come back.

They are weird creatures indeed.

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH stays pretty steady at 8.3. Been that way for months. Happy with that and I must say for some reason I do not get much of a drop at night as I did at first. My dosing runs spaced over a 24 hour period so maybe that helps keep things even.

I do the same on dosing but it almost always drops .1 throughout the day.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tuberous plants will do the same thing. The current foliage stops. And a new shoot starts growing quickly next to it.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how visible the striations are in your BTA. Are they that visible in person? That is a great photo of the two of them. My BTA bubbled up after being crushed in a land slide. And did I mention how I accidentally tore it in half pulling out a rock? I did not realize that she was anchored on two different rocks. when I realized what I had done I threw the pieces in the trash and I bawled for about a half hour. Then I thought @#&*it, people cut them in half. I dug the pieces out of the garbage and put them back in the tank. Around an hour later both pieces were out, bubbled up, being loved on by the clowns. I put them next to each other, and the clowns swam back and forth snuggling both of them. They eventually settled on the larger half but with a few months time they looked like one giant BTA again.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how visible the striations are in your BTA. Are they that visible in person? That is a great photo of the two of them.
Yes! They are very clear and distinct. One of my favorite attributes to this specimen. Here in this old image you can see them in the foot as well
F9845355-DC77-4C51-AC7A-FE2F94BF53FA.jpeg

My BTA bubbled up after being crushed in a land slide. And did I mention how I accidentally tore it in half pulling out a rock? I did not realize that she was anchored on two different rocks. when I realized what I had done I threw the pieces in the trash and I bawled for about a half hour. Then I thought @#&*it, people cut them in half. I dug the pieces out of the garbage and put them back in the tank. Around an hour later both pieces were out, bubbled up, being loved on by the clowns. I put them next to each other, and the clowns swam back and forth snuggling both of them. They eventually settled on the larger half but with a few months time they looked like one giant BTA again.
That is an amazing story. We tend to coddle anemones, but they are actually pretty hardy weirdos in my experience.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quoting this a second time because I have really been thinking about it. I have not touched my lights. In fact I am going to leave them for now. Everything is doing well. The only reason to increase light intensity was for growth and that is just impatience. Why risk making a change for that with corals growing? Especially true in a small tank.

Thank you @Victoria M for making me stop and reflect. See, your brain is perfectly normal. Well, as normal as it ever was. ;Woot

Last edited:

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quoting this a second time because I have really been thinking about it. I have not touched my lights. In fact I am going to leave them for now. Everything is doing well. The only reason to increase light intensity was for growth and that is just impatience. Why risk making a change for that with corals growing? Especially true in a small tank.

Thank you @Victoria M for making me stop and reflect. See, your brain is perfectly normal. Well, as normal as it ever was. ;Woot
That is what one of the reasons R2R is here, right? Bounce ideas off of reefing friends? Just love that photo of the BTA and clown together. It is still my lock screen on my iPAd.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice acro growth @NY_Caveman :)

Thanks! I love the comparisons. I hope to get more growth shots up soon for the rest of the corals. Been a real busy week so far. Glad I broke them up though. Would have been too much as one post. At the end I will create a list of links to them centralized somewhere.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back