OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day I need you to send me a Frag or that cc infection monti it’s gorgeous!

It will probably be my fastest grower in a small tank. Likely many frags.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking back at my coral growth posts. There is growth, but overall it is less than my original expectations. In some tanks I follow these fragments would be three times the size of mine by now.

You know what, I love that.

My display is a 30 gallon tank. I am too lazy for fast growth. I have solid growth and that is the goal. No, I am not an SPS expert. I have never owned one before. No one should follow my style. It works for me. I am one dosing failure or Caveman failure away from disaster. I know the tank wants to self destruct.

I am satisfied. My biggest struggle now is not the bubble algae, not the couple of struggling corals, not what I must add next. The struggle is to do nothing and let the tank mature. To utilize the most minimal maintenance.

C4DE8695-7019-45B2-B044-1A175E0F057A.jpeg

Last edited:

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking back at my coral growth posts. There is growth, but overall it is less than my original expectations. In some tanks I follow these fragments would be three times the size of mine by now.

My display is a 30 gallon tank. I am too lazy for fast growth. I have solid growth and that is the goal. No, I am not an SPS expert. I have never owned one before. No one should follow my style. It works for me. I am one dosing failure or Caveman failure away from disaster. I know the tank wants to self destruct.

I am satisfied. My biggest struggle now is not the bubble algae, not the couple of struggling corals, not what I must add next. The struggle is to do nothing and let the tank mature. To utilize the most minimal maintenance.

Some sps just seem to be stubborn and take a long time to kick into grow mode! I agree whole heartedly that some pieces I have have minimal growth compared to others but I did electrocute some with faulty equipment and followed with starving the tank. I look at my success in a similar way. I have only lost 2 corals a monti and an alvepora and I have saved 5 from almost being D.O.A.. Not messing with the tank is the hardest part. I love your tank and it is doing great. You can figure the rest out while not meddling with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sps just seem to be stubborn and take a long time to kick into grow mode! I agree whole heartedly that some pieces I have have minimal growth compared to others but electrocute some withbfaulty equipment and followed with starving the tank. I look at my success in a similar way. I have only lost 2 corals a monti and an alvepora and I have saved 5 from almost being D.O.A.. Not messing with the tank is the hardest part. I love your tank and it is doing great. You can figure the rest out while not meddling with it.

Curious, my Alveopora is not doing well, but living for quite a while looking short and slightly bleached (80 PAR). Any idea what the issue was with yours? I tried more light for one week (100 PAR) and it quickly looked worse, so I am now trying less light (60 PAR) and less flow. It has actually perked up a bit. I am wondering though if it is the less flow more than the light.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, my Alveopora is not doing well, but living for quite a while looking short and slightly bleached (80 PAR). Any idea what the issue was with yours? I tried more light for one week (100 PAR) and it quickly looked worse, so I am now trying less light (60 PAR) and less flow. It has actually perked up a bit. I am wondering though if it is the less flow more than the light.
Same thing happend to my goni's recently I relocated the ones that having more stress to be under shadows at the back of the tank. they are doing better now.

Try to relocate it to somewhere under shadow for a 2 days and see if there is any improvement

SKYHIGGh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Emerald crabs worked for me well I put three in for about a month and then Removed them when they were done.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did not. But it did fit over the separating acrylic pane between the display and the rear chambers so I hung it there. It worked okay and was eaten, but it got some flow there.

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pearlberry has been stubborn and after nearly a year. It is growing now but was giving minimal polyp extension and no growth for a months. In that time I increased my light intensity, started feeding the tank more, began dosing no3, implemented an algae reactor to help with ph and lower po4(since my rodi leaves a little po4) and lowered dkh from around 10 to 7-7.5. I feel it was the maintained lower dkh and increase in no3 that helped. My no3 will drop to 0 if I do not dose. Plus feeding excessively seems to have no gain in adding no3. But without a doubt readable no3 seems to really perc eveything up.

Last edited:

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How you like the PJ’s? I had them on my mind for a few months. I want a skool that will spend time high in my tank in the open waters and they seem like a nice option.
There shape is way different then the other fish on my list

See what I’m looking for? A balance of shapes,sizes, and color also want to balance the open water with the rock area. Kinda rule of thirds. Originally was thinking Anthias but not sure I want to deal with them.

I have a trio of red lined cardinals I got from DD.

A spawning pair and a 3rd wheel.

They constantly use the whole tank. And I mean top to bottom, front to back, out in the open and all through the rocks.

When the 2 aren’t spawning, the 3 are together.

Couldn’t be happier with a trio of fish.

(Older post I know, playing catch up)

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trio of red lined cardinals I got from DD.

A spawning pair and a 3rd wheel.

They constantly use the whole tank. And I mean top to bottom, front to back, out in the open and all through the rocks.

When the 2 aren’t spawning, the 3 are together.

Couldn’t be happier with a trio of fish.

(Older post I know, playing catch up)

Would the red lined cardinals be Ostorhinchus compressus?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fast growth is overrated!

Before reefing I was doing hi tech planted tanks with CO2 injection. They needed to be trimmed practically every day. Even letting it go for a week would cause a tangled mess that would start choking itself out. I just said to my wife the other day that with the ATO, my reef tank is actually easier to deal with when I get busy :rolleyes:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back