I received a box of rocks today.

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by NY_Caveman, Nov 9, 2017.

1. SKYHIGGh

SKYHIGGh Active Member

One day I need you to send me a Frag or that cc infection monti it’s gorgeous!

2. Crabby48

Crabby48 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

I hope on day I can have your skill mr. Caveman.
    Grow them out so I can get trimmings one day lol

3. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman secretly in love with a chunky Lobophyllia R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

It will probably be my fastest grower in a small tank. Likely many frags.

4. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman secretly in love with a chunky Lobophyllia R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I was looking back at my coral growth posts. There is growth, but overall it is less than my original expectations. In some tanks I follow these fragments would be three times the size of mine by now.

You know what, I love that.

My display is a 30 gallon tank. I am too lazy for fast growth. I have solid growth and that is the goal. No, I am not an SPS expert. I have never owned one before. No one should follow my style. It works for me. I am one dosing failure or Caveman failure away from disaster. I know the tank wants to self destruct.

I am satisfied. My biggest struggle now is not the bubble algae, not the couple of struggling corals, not what I must add next. The struggle is to do nothing and let the tank mature. To utilize the most minimal maintenance.

C4DE8695-7019-45B2-B044-1A175E0F057A.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  5. mshonk

mshonk Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Some sps just seem to be stubborn and take a long time to kick into grow mode! I agree whole heartedly that some pieces I have have minimal growth compared to others but I did electrocute some with faulty equipment and followed with starving the tank. I look at my success in a similar way. I have only lost 2 corals a monti and an alvepora and I have saved 5 from almost being D.O.A.. Not messing with the tank is the hardest part. I love your tank and it is doing great. You can figure the rest out while not meddling with it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Hemmdog, Matt Carden, SDK and 6 others like this.
  6. NY_Caveman

Curious, my Alveopora is not doing well, but living for quite a while looking short and slightly bleached (80 PAR). Any idea what the issue was with yours? I tried more light for one week (100 PAR) and it quickly looked worse, so I am now trying less light (60 PAR) and less flow. It has actually perked up a bit. I am wondering though if it is the less flow more than the light.

Hemmdog, SDK, Crabby48 and 5 others like this.
  7. dantimdad

dantimdad Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Looking good as always!

Hemmdog, SDK, Crabby48 and 4 others like this.
  8. fabutahoun

fabutahoun Angels and Acros R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Spotlight Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Same thing happend to my goni's recently I relocated the ones that having more stress to be under shadows at the back of the tank. they are doing better now.

Try to relocate it to somewhere under shadow for a 2 days and see if there is any improvement

Hemmdog, Matt Carden, SDK and 7 others like this.
  9. SKYHIGGh

SKYHIGGh Active Member

Emerald crabs worked for me well I put three in for about a month and then Removed them when they were done.

10. Victoria M

Victoria M Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Did you have a chance to see if the feeder fit the glass rim? If not I can walk you through how to fix it.

Hemmdog, norfolkgarden, SDK and 5 others like this.
  11. NY_Caveman

It did not. But it did fit over the separating acrylic pane between the display and the rear chambers so I hung it there. It worked okay and was eaten, but it got some flow there.

Hemmdog, norfolkgarden, SDK and 8 others like this.
  12. mshonk

My pearlberry has been stubborn and after nearly a year. It is growing now but was giving minimal polyp extension and no growth for a months. In that time I increased my light intensity, started feeding the tank more, began dosing no3, implemented an algae reactor to help with ph and lower po4(since my rodi leaves a little po4) and lowered dkh from around 10 to 7-7.5. I feel it was the maintained lower dkh and increase in no3 that helped. My no3 will drop to 0 if I do not dose. Plus feeding excessively seems to have no gain in adding no3. But without a doubt readable no3 seems to really perc eveything up.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  13. mshonk

14. NY_Caveman

Hemmdog, norfolkgarden, SDK and 9 others like this.
  15. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad SCAA Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I have a trio of red lined cardinals I got from DD.

A spawning pair and a 3rd wheel.

They constantly use the whole tank. And I mean top to bottom, front to back, out in the open and all through the rocks.

When the 2 aren’t spawning, the 3 are together.

Couldn’t be happier with a trio of fish.

(Older post I know, playing catch up)

16. Crabby48

Crabby48 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Would the red lined cardinals be Ostorhinchus compressus?

Hemmdog, norfolkgarden, Raege and 5 others like this.
  17. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad SCAA Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

It’s Ostorhinchus Margaritophorus

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can make a video if you like:)

18. RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21 Rookie Reefer R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Yes plz :D

Hemmdog, Crabby48, NY_Caveman and 5 others like this.
  19. najer

najer Valuable Member

Crap fish, nice shrooms! :p

Hemmdog, Crabby48, NY_Caveman and 4 others like this.
  20. SDK

SDK Reef Diver R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Fast growth is overrated!

Before reefing I was doing hi tech planted tanks with CO2 injection. They needed to be trimmed practically every day. Even letting it go for a week would cause a tangled mess that would start choking itself out. I just said to my wife the other day that with the ATO, my reef tank is actually easier to deal with when I get busy :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted