I received a box of rocks today.

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by NY_Caveman, Nov 9, 2017.

1. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 SCAA Member Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Ok then....... I will try and get a fish video tonight. :)

2. Victoria M

Victoria M Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

@NY_Caveman The hanger of the algae clip can be made a little bigger relatively easily. Find something around the size of the width of the aquarium rim such as a marker or pencil. Or a really big screw driver . It has to be even. It can not get thinner at one end. Use your stove to heat the bent end but do not put it in the flame or too close to the element. It can take several minutes to warm enough to bend it. You want the very end and a WEE bit of the sides pliable. You wrap it around the marker, opening and widening the bend but don't over bend back towards the clip side. You keep the sides parallel to each other. You can do this maybe twice before it makes that acrylic brittle. If it does not work I will send you another piece the right width. Man, I really figured that was wide enough. :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  3. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 SCAA Member Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

I hope @NY_Caveman don’t mind me posting the video here.

@najer, please ignore the “crap fish” in the video ;)

Scurvy, Hemmdog, Salty Lemon and 9 others like this.
  4. RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21 Do It Yourself. R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Bowling announcer for sure.

5. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman "Put your gold money where your love is” R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Thanks @Victoria M. I will do that. It did work well over the baffle and I am already thinking of other uses.

Crabby48, fabutahoun, Fudsey and 4 others like this.
  6. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman "Put your gold money where your love is” R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Do not mind at all. Love your tank and I have a soft spot for crap fish

7. NY_Caveman

I totally agree with this. When my last planted tank sprung a leak, I was so ready for a return to marine tanks. I have just a small natural planted tank running now. Just water, Betta, frogbit and some rocks. Starboard substrate. No heater, no flow, no light, no dosing. The frogbit is the filter. Easiest tank I ever ran.

8. NY_Caveman

I know I said I was done and not adding anything for a long time. Then I saw this yesterday and thought I had found my centerpiece. Not a Trachyphyllia, not a Cynarina, but a beautiful Lobophyllia
    1915AE19-DC67-40CF-9E34-779B7A7C851F.jpeg
    Alas, I did not act quick enough. Was a seemingly sweet price too.
    :(

Scurvy, Hemmdog, dantimdad and 16 others like this.
  9. Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit Valuable Member

Bummer! thats a good looking lobo!

10. NY_Caveman

Coral Growth - Twisted Sister

This frag did not do anything for a long time. It basically turned brown and sat with no growth. It has been knocked over by snails several times. The last month, however, it has really started encrusting with great color. It seems to be leaving the original frag behind. PAR ~260 with good flow.

09/28/18
    092918-TS.JPG

11/07/18
    110718-TS.jpeg

03/06/19
    You can see to the right on the browned out original frag there is some beautiful teal and purple growth pouring out the side. The browned out part usually does have some decent polyp extension.
    030619-TS.JPEG

Current Coral Growth Posts
    BC Battlejuice
    Bonsai valida
    Space Invader Millepora
    FHC Fire Weed
    Green Goblin Anacropora
    CC Infection Montipora
    Jedi Mind Trick Montipora
    Twisted Sister
    Bug Out Stylophora
    Miyagi tortuoso

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    neoGeorge, Crabby48, Hemmdog and 7 others like this.
  11. NY_Caveman

Coral Growth - Bug Out Stylophora

This Stylophora started out great and showed excellent growth right off the bat. Then, it began to show some STN in one part. I recut the frag to remove som of the death, but the STN continued in one area. I am leaving it at the moment and the healthy part seems as rich and colorful as ever. Not sure why only this one coral is having an issue, but I will continue to monitor. PAR is 280 with heavy flow from the gyre and returns.

10/23/18
    102318-STY.JPG

12/17/18
    121718-STY.jpeg

01/10/19
    You can see the STN starting here on the top left branch.
    0110019-STY.jpeg

01/19/19
    This was the day I refragged this piece.

First picture shows the STN further on the top left
    011919-STY-1.jpeg

this is after cutting that piece out
    011919-STY-2.jpeg

and a top down.
    011919-STY-3.jpeg

01/29/19
    This was top down 10 days later and you can see the STN continued, but only along the back.
    012919-STY.JPEG

03/06/19
    The front part of the frag still looks healthy and the color has even improved. The back side, not so much.
    030619-STY.JPEG

BC Battlejuice
    Bonsai valida
    Space Invader Millepora
    FHC Fire Weed
    Green Goblin Anacropora
    CC Infection Montipora
    Twisted Sister
    Bug Out Stylophora
    Miyagi tortuoso

Crabby48, Hemmdog, dantimdad and 8 others like this.
  12. NY_Caveman

Coral Growth - Miyagi tortuoso

When I returned to reefing about a year and a half ago, I said, "What the heck are SPS." As I researched I fell in love with the Miyagi tort. It was the first "must have" coral I discovered. As a favorite, I have several pictures to share.

This frag has performed very well. It was fully colored up with polyp extension in the bag after shipping. It has not encrusted much, but the branches have grown faster than any other Acropora we own. PAR is 300 with excellent flow.

09/29/18
    092918-MT.JPG

10/23/18
    102318-MT.JPG

11/07/18
    110718-MT.jpeg

12/24/18
    The frag was knocked over by a snail since the last image. It was reglued backwards from the previous orientation. Shame because the color was better on the other side. I could not tell with the frag in my hand. Kind of worked out well though as the growth has seemed to improve with the healthiest part facing the light.
    122418-MT.jpeg

01/28/19
    012819-MT-2.jpeg

02/28/18
    All of that growth in the left branches is directly toward the random gyre flow.
    022819-MT.JPEG

03/05/19
    030519-MT.JPEG

Top Downs
    12/17/18
    122418-MT-2.jpeg

01/10/19
    0110019-MT-2.jpeg

02/23/19
    022319-MT.JPEG

BC Battlejuice
    Bonsai valida
    Space Invader Millepora
    FHC Fire Weed
    Green Goblin Anacropora
    CC Infection Montipora
    Twisted Sister
    Bug Out Stylophora
    Miyagi tortuoso

neoGeorge, Crabby48, Hemmdog and 14 others like this.
  13. NY_Caveman

That wraps up most of our SPS. I skipped a few along the way. Some I did not have good images of and others simply have not done much. I may wrap those up in a single post some day this week. I plan to move on to a few LPS this week as well. Hope everyone enjoyed them. I sure did. It was great to get a real sense of what they have each done.

Crabby48, Hemmdog, dantimdad and 9 others like this.
  14. reef lover

reef lover It's a reef thing.... R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Hudson Valley Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor

Nice pics!

15. NY_Caveman

Thanks!

16. NY_Caveman

Future pico. Betta is on his last legs. He did eat five worms today though (usually can only handle three lately).
    2290440A-B699-43BA-AF53-9757B8193781.jpeg

neoGeorge, Crabby48, Hemmdog and 12 others like this.
  17. mshonk

mshonk Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Nice!

18. Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Secret Santa AZ FRAG Member Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

I like your family snowboarding pics. I grew up in Minnesota and now live in Arizona. Geez I miss snow.

Scurvy, Crabby48, Hemmdog and 10 others like this.
  19. NY_Caveman

Did not get much this year, but we enjoyed what we had. :)

Crabby48, Hemmdog, Raege and 7 others like this.
  20. Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer Older than dirt! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Love the progress pictures.. sometimes I’m stunned when looking back at my old pictures, I guess when your staring at the tank everyday you don’t really realize the amount of growth.

Crabby48, NY_Caveman, Raege and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted