I received a box of rocks today.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman The hanger of the algae clip can be made a little bigger relatively easily. Find something around the size of the width of the aquarium rim such as a marker or pencil. Or a really big screw driver . It has to be even. It can not get thinner at one end. Use your stove to heat the bent end but do not put it in the flame or too close to the element. It can take several minutes to warm enough to bend it. You want the very end and a WEE bit of the sides pliable. You wrap it around the marker, opening and widening the bend but don't over bend back towards the clip side. You keep the sides parallel to each other. You can do this maybe twice before it makes that acrylic brittle. If it does not work I will send you another piece the right width. Man, I really figured that was wide enough. :)

Last edited:

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman The hanger of the algae clip can be made a little bigger relatively easily. Find something around the size of the width of the aquarium rim such as a marker or pencil. Or a really big screw driver . It has to be even. It can not get thinner at one end. Use your stove to heat the bent end but do not put it in the flame or too close to the element. It can take several minutes to warm enough to bend it. You want the very end and a WEE bit of the sides pliable. You wrap it around the marker, opening and widening the bend but don't over bend back towards the clip side. You keep the sides parallel to each other. You can do this maybe twice before it makes that acrylic brittle. If it does not work I will send you another piece the right width. Man, I really figured that was wide enough. :)

Thanks @Victoria M. I will do that. It did work well over the baffle and I am already thinking of other uses.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast growth is overrated!

Before reefing I was doing hi tech planted tanks with CO2 injection. They needed to be trimmed practically every day. Even letting it go for a week would cause a tangled mess that would start choking itself out. I just said to my wife the other day that with the ATO, my reef tank is actually easier to deal with when I get busy :rolleyes:

I totally agree with this. When my last planted tank sprung a leak, I was so ready for a return to marine tanks. I have just a small natural planted tank running now. Just water, Betta, frogbit and some rocks. Starboard substrate. No heater, no flow, no light, no dosing. The frogbit is the filter. Easiest tank I ever ran.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I said I was done and not adding anything for a long time. Then I saw this yesterday and thought I had found my centerpiece. Not a Trachyphyllia, not a Cynarina, but a beautiful Lobophyllia
1915AE19-DC67-40CF-9E34-779B7A7C851F.jpeg

Alas, I did not act quick enough. Was a seemingly sweet price too.
:(

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Growth - Twisted Sister

This frag did not do anything for a long time. It basically turned brown and sat with no growth. It has been knocked over by snails several times. The last month, however, it has really started encrusting with great color. It seems to be leaving the original frag behind. PAR ~260 with good flow.

09/28/18
092918-TS.JPG

11/07/18
110718-TS.jpeg

03/06/19
You can see to the right on the browned out original frag there is some beautiful teal and purple growth pouring out the side. The browned out part usually does have some decent polyp extension.
030619-TS.JPEG

Current Coral Growth Posts
BC Battlejuice
Bonsai valida
Space Invader Millepora
FHC Fire Weed
Green Goblin Anacropora
CC Infection Montipora
Jedi Mind Trick Montipora
Twisted Sister
Bug Out Stylophora
Miyagi tortuoso

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Growth - Bug Out Stylophora

This Stylophora started out great and showed excellent growth right off the bat. Then, it began to show some STN in one part. I recut the frag to remove som of the death, but the STN continued in one area. I am leaving it at the moment and the healthy part seems as rich and colorful as ever. Not sure why only this one coral is having an issue, but I will continue to monitor. PAR is 280 with heavy flow from the gyre and returns.

10/23/18
102318-STY.JPG

12/17/18
121718-STY.jpeg

01/10/19
You can see the STN starting here on the top left branch.
0110019-STY.jpeg

01/19/19
This was the day I refragged this piece.

First picture shows the STN further on the top left
011919-STY-1.jpeg

this is after cutting that piece out
011919-STY-2.jpeg

and a top down.
011919-STY-3.jpeg

01/29/19
This was top down 10 days later and you can see the STN continued, but only along the back.
012919-STY.JPEG

03/06/19
The front part of the frag still looks healthy and the color has even improved. The back side, not so much.
030619-STY.JPEG

BC Battlejuice
Bonsai valida
Space Invader Millepora
FHC Fire Weed
Green Goblin Anacropora
CC Infection Montipora
Twisted Sister
Bug Out Stylophora
Miyagi tortuoso

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Growth - Miyagi tortuoso

When I returned to reefing about a year and a half ago, I said, "What the heck are SPS." As I researched I fell in love with the Miyagi tort. It was the first "must have" coral I discovered. As a favorite, I have several pictures to share.

This frag has performed very well. It was fully colored up with polyp extension in the bag after shipping. It has not encrusted much, but the branches have grown faster than any other Acropora we own. PAR is 300 with excellent flow.

09/29/18
092918-MT.JPG

10/23/18
102318-MT.JPG

11/07/18
110718-MT.jpeg

12/24/18
The frag was knocked over by a snail since the last image. It was reglued backwards from the previous orientation. Shame because the color was better on the other side. I could not tell with the frag in my hand. Kind of worked out well though as the growth has seemed to improve with the healthiest part facing the light.
122418-MT.jpeg

01/28/19
012819-MT-2.jpeg

02/28/18
All of that growth in the left branches is directly toward the random gyre flow.
022819-MT.JPEG

03/05/19
030519-MT.JPEG

Top Downs
12/17/18
122418-MT-2.jpeg

01/10/19
0110019-MT-2.jpeg

02/23/19
022319-MT.JPEG

BC Battlejuice
Bonsai valida
Space Invader Millepora
FHC Fire Weed
Green Goblin Anacropora
CC Infection Montipora
Twisted Sister
Bug Out Stylophora
Miyagi tortuoso

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wraps up most of our SPS. I skipped a few along the way. Some I did not have good images of and others simply have not done much. I may wrap those up in a single post some day this week. I plan to move on to a few LPS this week as well. Hope everyone enjoyed them. I sure did. It was great to get a real sense of what they have each done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your family snowboarding pics. I grew up in Minnesota and now live in Arizona. Geez I miss snow.

Did not get much this year, but we enjoyed what we had. :)

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wraps up most of our SPS. I skipped a few along the way. Some I did not have good images of and others simply have not done much. I may wrap those up in a single post some day this week. I plan to move on to a few LPS this week as well. Hope everyone enjoyed them. I sure did. It was great to get a real sense of what they have each done.

Love the progress pictures.. sometimes I’m stunned when looking back at my old pictures, I guess when your staring at the tank everyday you don’t really realize the amount of growth.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back