I received a box of rocks today.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived upstate for 15 years, it was the worst 15 years of my life.

No offense to you or any other person from NY, but in my career of talking to around 100 people per day, here is no more disrespectful "censorship is bad" in this country than those from NY. Downstate citidiots are the absolute worst.

As much as I hated living in TN, I would rather live in TN as opposed to NY. I am very happy here in OH and have no plans to move.

;Muted

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank got as high as 84*F today with no AC. Usually sits around 80*F on the InkBird controller readout. Not too concerned with so little in the tank, but monitoring.

I think the capacitor went on the Trane AC unit. I opened it up and all the wiring was secure (last time this happened, mice had gotten in and built a nest in there). I could hear the compressor, but the fan was not running. When I gave the fan a push, it started right up. That is the extent of the work I feel I can do on the unit with no experience. We were able to get someone to come this afternoon though.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caveman,

Keep us updated on your Trane.

The HVAC guy came late today and confirmed it was the capacitor. He is bringing a new one tomorrow. One more hot night. Although the rain today cooled us down a little.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The HVAC guy came late today and confirmed it was the capacitor. He is bringing a new one tomorrow. One more hot night. Although the rain today cooled us down a little.

If you got those zip tie freezer bags, you could float ice.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking back at some of the diagrams I made early in my planning. Most came out similar to this:
D703A461-8310-4C2C-80F2-F8A33BA67AEC.jpeg

And here is the actual setup superimposed under the grid:
A16B6CB2-A503-403E-977B-431E5FE2B4DB.jpeg

Pretty close to what I envisioned. Honestly, this planning helped me ENORMOUSLY when selecting my rock.

Just for fun, here is some “Colorform” like playing around with what I am thinking coral and anemone wise:
FCF44310-240D-4AB4-A018-CEA4521C3A4C.jpeg

Left to right, bottom, Duncan, Alveopora, Trachyphillia, Sympodium, Hammer, Caulastrea. Top is Acro, Stylo, Monti, then BTA on the right. Nothing set in stone, but this kind of simple diagramming helps me think. It also gives me something to do on the train while commuting.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FCF44310-240D-4AB4-A018-CEA4521C3A4C.jpeg

Left to right, bottom, Duncan, Alveopora, Trachyphillia, Sympodium, Hammer, Caulastrea. Top is Acro, Stylo, Monti, then BTA on the right. Nothing set in stone, but this kind of simple diagramming helps me think. It also gives me something to do on the train while commuting.

Looks good.

I like your scape:
It lets plenty of flow pass by and you can maintain your reef from all sides.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good.

I like your scape:
It lets plenty of flow pass by and you can maintain your reef from all sides.

Thank you. I am very happy with how it came out.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TIME IN: 9.5 Months
ROCKS WET: 7 Months
TANK WET: 17 Days

SG = 34
Alkalinity = 8.7 dKH
NH3 = 0
NO3 = 4
PO4 = 0.68
pH = 8.2

SG is down from 35 mostly due to removing the Skimmate I believe (and the ATO compensating). I have succeeded in getting a drier skim, so that should level out. Not so bad over one weeks time.

Ammonia (NH3) has never registered higher than 0 for me. Successful live rock introduction.

NO3 remains low, but the trend is up.

PO4 is rising as well. I erred and tested with the ULR Hanna 736 test. I knew it would be high too, but used it out of habit. After it maxed it out I tested with the Low Range Hanna 713 colorimeter to get the result above. I am concerned about this, but only because I started running the lights low. If I start seeing green I may kill the lights.

pH is right back where it should be. 8.1 - 8.2 over the past few days. I thought the dip to the mid 7s might have caused some PO4 to leach from the rock, but PO4 is still rising.

In general these numbers are in line with my expectations. The tank needs to continue maturing. At some point I may have to do something more proactive about the PO4, but will monitor for now.

Now for some fun, I saw the Peppermint Shrimp tonight and for once he did not immediately run away.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general these numbers are in line with my expectations. The tank needs to continue maturing. At some point I may have to do something more proactive about the PO4, but will monitor for now.
I would recommend getting on this sooner rather than later. PO4 forms an equilibrium in your substrate. The sooner you start pulling it out the sooner you will drop the levels stored in your rock. In my opinion, you can't start this soon enough. GFO is your friend in this case, just don't use too much.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good news today, the AC unit is fixed and running well. The tank did well with the "surge" to 84*F. Also, my daughters were delighted that the Peppermint Shrimp (whose name is now "Pepper") was out and about today. Guess he is getting comfortable.

Now the bad news, my wife just texted me (I am at work) that the basement was flooded. My first thought was for sure it had to be fish related. Nope, she left the sink running and then went out back to clean the grill. I cannot believe there was a flood and I or the tank were not involved. Luckily there was not much on the floor down there and the floor is tile. At least she has a nice cool basement for the cleanup.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting on this sooner rather than later. PO4 forms an equilibrium in your substrate. The sooner you start pulling it out the sooner you will drop the levels stored in your rock. In my opinion, you can't start this soon enough. GFO is your friend in this case, just don't use too much.

Thanks for the advice. I have no reactor handy, but I did have some Fluval Clearmax Phosphate Remover bags from my freshwater days. It says it is for fresh or marine, so I am trying that and will test daily. I used about half of what was recommended to begin with. With my setup a reactor would have to be external and I would prefer to avoid that if I can.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your scape really came out great, I like it a lot. And it will look even better covered in corals...!

Thank you @samnaz, it is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They came back home last Saturday.

I must say my favorite moments are when they are enjoying the tank. I did not plan on the Peppermint Shrimp, but as I wrote earlier, the Aiptasia made it seem prudent. Today he was out more and they named him. The next addition will likely be two Cleaner Shrimp, my favorite marine critter. From past experience, the Cleaners should help set the personality of the tank. The girls are going to love them.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did "Pepper" eat many of your aip? I know you were removing rock and blasting them. I have had hit and miss with them eating aip.
I've tried 4 of them. They chat with the appy's at night waiting for me to feed the tank. Eventually I need to catch them so I can try the nudibranches.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back