likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Caveman
Your girls made my day!!

:)

Thanks @GoVols! They make my day every day! I am helping the older 10 year old set up her YouTube channel this week. She is already trying to shoot some tank videos of her own, LOL.

John Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish today. I am pretty bummed. I got up very early (I work late into the AM as some of you know) for nothing, so running on fumes today. The fish is stuck at a FedEx hub in Indianapolis. Their explanation was that although several packages made it onto the plane this morning, there was not room for all of them. I realize my package is no more important than any other person's, but it seems to me a package clearly marked with a live animal would make it onto the plane. Also, why I am paying for overnight if they can just arbitrarily leave my package out? Is this common? I have never heard of this. I will see what happens tomorrow, but suffice it to say I am not in a good mood today. I really think I am cursed when it comes to shipping anything (for example, this is the third time in nine months that a shipping company had the wrong phone number for me. Really?!?!?) I will post more about this experience when it resolves one way or the other.
This is why Im always afraid to order online. :-(

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why Im always afraid to order online. :-(

I am blessed with several good LFS around me in the Tri-State area. This was a hard to find fish though. In your location you probably have great local options as well.

John Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am blessed with several good LFS around me in the Tri-State area. This was a hard to find fish though. In your location you probably have great local options as well.
I do have a couple of favorite stops for sure. One of my favorites is literally 5min away. Quite convenient, but can also be detrimental to my wallet. :D

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to say that Buffalo is not upstate NY... love this thread and the detail. Definitely following along.
FB_IMG_1451357698121.jpeg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a cool video!!!
We have a fish!
Pink Streaked Wrasse
(Pseudocheilinops ataenia)

As soon as we got him I added an airstone and started dripping. After about 36 hours in the bag I skipped floating him to get him some air.
3EB61E5F-4F2D-4B2A-A025-BC6B6C568C19.jpeg

Here he was swimming around about a half hour after we shot the video. He did “play dead” for a bit as the girls mentioned and as I expected. Terrible picture, just wanted to show everyone he seems okay. He enjoys swimming around the gyre just to add to my nervousness.
BB8AC0C6-DBCA-4D9B-B69D-7821A3812B4F.jpeg

In the video you also learned our Cleaner Shrimp are now named Lucy and Ricky. They were names we had considered that seem to have stuck.

[/QUOTE

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TIME IN: 10 Months
ROCKS WET: 7.5 Months
TANK WET: 1 Month

I had my brother’s family here for a few days and was not around the forum very much. I had mentioned Friday, I setup the mini refugium in the back

98BF6BF6-9182-49BD-B472-768A5C5FE05A.jpeg

15661D0A-BC63-4F39-95CE-802B91AAA772.jpeg

Funny, everyone in the house actually liked the pink glow to the room at night. The lights were $35 and are 36 Watts with three arms of 6 LEDs each. I can set the intensity to different levels and opt to use 1, 2 or 3 of the light arms. Right now it is running at about 33% power on all LEDs for 12 hours at night on a baseball sized piece of Chaeto.

BTW, why are grow lights so much cheaper than reef lights? It is a rhetorical question. Often the same size and number of LED diodes cost 50-70% less.

Here is a current FTS
C46B9F04-C1B2-4A3F-A856-DC723AB13EA1.jpeg

Lucy and Ricky have been out a lot lately during the day
8AA435AA-3BD2-4A83-8640-1185D62DE60C.jpeg

Pepper is still out at night, but usually comes out for feedings
F1A77C58-7FA8-4A38-A31C-1B4F0A02484A.jpeg

When I approach the room with the tank from the hallway now, I almost always see the Pink Streaked Wrasse out and about. When I enter the room she darts back into the cave. So, she is getting more comfortable in the tank. More importantly, I saw her eat two pellets yesterday. As a wild caught fish, I was very excited. She has more than enough pods in the tank as well.

We had considered the name “Lucky” as mentioned before, but I felt this was not an appropriate name for a fish that was likely female. My youngest daughter came up with the name “Ruby” because she looks like she is wearing red lipstick. We all loved it, so “Ruby” it is!

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pic actually made me Laugh out Loud :)

Ha! That is Katie, the older one. She is quite a character with a great sense of humor. She is always ready to put on a performance for the camera.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TIME IN: 10 Months
ROCKS WET: 7.5 Months
TANK WET: 1 Month

I had my brother’s family here for a few days and was not around the forum very much. I had mentioned Friday, I setup the mini refugium in the back

98BF6BF6-9182-49BD-B472-768A5C5FE05A.jpeg

15661D0A-BC63-4F39-95CE-802B91AAA772.jpeg

Funny, everyone in the house actually liked the pink glow to the room at night. The lights were $35 and are 36 Watts with three arms of 6 LEDs each. I can set the intensity to different levels and opt to use 1, 2 or 3 of the light arms. Right now it is running at about 30% power on all LEDs for 12 hours at night on a baseball sized piece of Chaeto.

BTW, why are grow lights so much cheaper than reef lights? It is a rhetorical question. Often the same size and number of LED diodes cost 50-70% less.

Here is a current FTS
C46B9F04-C1B2-4A3F-A856-DC723AB13EA1.jpeg

Lucy and Ricky have been out a lot lately during the day
8AA435AA-3BD2-4A83-8640-1185D62DE60C.jpeg

Pepper is still out at night, but usually comes out for feedings
F1A77C58-7FA8-4A38-A31C-1B4F0A02484A.jpeg

When I approach the room with the tank from the hallway now, I almost always see the Pink Streaked Wrasse out and about. When I enter the room she darts back into the cave. So, she is getting more comfortable in the tank. More importantly, I saw her eat two pellets yesterday. As a wild caught fish, I was very excited. She has more than enough pods in the tank as well.

We had considered the name “Lucky” as mentioned before, but I felt this was not an appropriate name for a fish that was likely female. My youngest daughter came up with the name “Ruby” because she looks like she is wearing red lipstick. We all loved it, so “Ruby” it is!
I don't know why grow lights are cheaper...but I do know my plans are hanging one over mine as well. :D

IMG_20180731_162129.jpg

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the addition of the refugium I updated the back compartments as follows

5DA1324B-F89F-49C7-9C7E-4C0B6A64F5F5.jpeg

1. Phosphate remover, activated carbon, ~3 lbs. live rock
  2. Refugium with Chaeto lit outside by 36 Watt Grow LED (~33% currently)
  3. Cobalt 150 Watt Heater, Returns, Tunze Osmolator ATO, temperature probe, grounding pole, ATO pump return
  4. Tunze 9004 Protein Skimmer
  5. Cobalt 150 Watt Heater
The back of the tank filled up pretty fast, but this was all in the original plan. I would prefer the heaters on opposite ends, but it was more important to have the refugium and skimmer on opposite sides. I wanted the media and live rock before the refugium as well.

This coming weekend I am considering adding 2-3 corals. Easy LPS such as Caulastrea that I planned on adding early. My rock is mature and it is time to move forward. Phosphate is dropping the past few tests and everything else is in line and stable. Livestock are all doing well and the coral that came in on the live rock are just singing.

Last edited:

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the addition of the refugium I updated the back compartments as follows

5DA1324B-F89F-49C7-9C7E-4C0B6A64F5F5.jpeg

1. Phosphate remover, activated carbon, ~3 lbs. live rock
  2. Refugium with Chaeto lit outside by 36 Watt Grow LED
  3. Cobalt 150 Watt Heater, Returns, Tunze Osmolator ATO, temperature probe, grounding pole, ATO pump return
  4. Tunze 9004 Protein Skimmer
  5. Cobalt 150 Watt Heater
The back of the tank filled up pretty fast, but this was all in the original plan. I would prefer the heaters on opposite ends, but it was more important to have the refugium and skimmer on opposite sides. I wanted the media and live rock before the refugium as well.

This coming weekend I am considering adding 2-3 corals. Easy LPS such as Caulastrea that I planned on adding early. My rock is mature and it is time to move forward. Phosphate is dropping the past few tests and everything else is in line and stable. Livestock are all doing well and the coral that came in on the live rock are just singing.
Pretty nice. Great planning.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...well it took two days but I finished the thread and am up to date! I don't know why I haven't looked at this before especially after we had our conversation on your screen name origin. This is a great build thread and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Congratulations on your first fish :D and I felt your pain with the 'crab incident' :(. Looking forward to the progress and your PO4 issues. I am having a similar situation and have been trying to get it down slowly. Cheato is supposed to be coming today so I hope that helps

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed an IPSF order today for some ministars, worms and Amphipods. Even though my live rock is quite alive, I still want to add as much biodiversity as possible. I had added Copepods while maturing the rock, but now that I have Chaeto I figured I would give my pods a boost. May be overkill with all of the pods I am seeing on the glass but Ruby (the Wrasse) thinks they are yummy
F93F3928-B7A6-4768-A39D-D7D2087AB841.jpeg

Speaking of Ruby, she was out a lot today. She swam around the whole tank venturing far from the cave. She would always duck for the nearest cover if I was moving around, but if I sat still she would come back out. At feeding time she was a bit bolder with me there
13E30E4E-A8DC-4ACC-8BB4-4239561DCFF1.jpeg

Lucy and Ricky (the Cleaner Shrimp) are out most of the time now and only really stay in the cave at night. Lucy, the larger one is always first out and keeps watch when they are inside. She was a bit rough with Ricky at first, but now she only bothers him and Pepper when they have food.

Last thing to note today is I am getting some spots of diatoms. Tank has been up for one month today (and one week with the LEDs on), so that is no surprise. I think the smaller Trochus snail must have passed because I only see the big one now. Maybe the hermits got the little one. It is probably a good time to add a couple of Cerith snails and another Trochus this weekend when I shop for the first corals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty nice. Great planning.

Wow...well it took two days but I finished the thread and am up to date! I don't know why I haven't looked at this before especially after we had our conversation on your screen name origin. This is a great build thread and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Congratulations on your first fish :D and I felt your pain with the 'crab incident' :(. Looking forward to the progress and your PO4 issues. I am having a similar situation and have been trying to get it down slowly. Cheato is supposed to be coming today so I hope that helps

nice build and lovely tank :)

Thanks folks! Welcome to my build!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back