NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Wow it looks amazing and it sure seems that your kiddos will grow up to be movie directorsz, they have a huge desire for film:). It’s funny one day they may make a video of this and post it on you tube and whoosh, they are the newest sensation kinda like the chiplunks.

The tank is coming along really nicely and either your water is super super super clear or it looks like you drained the tank water lol and moved the rock. I am like how does he do that with his iPhone, my iPhone camera is just terrible. But I love the videos and I really feel your pain when it comes to the night shift. Graves are horrible shift, but the 24 hour shift seems awesome because I’m theory you only work two days roughly, well except my profession. We seem to work (Well the newbies at least) around the clock.

Yeah, I am on the train home from work right now. Starting to adapt. For folks like you and I, it is all about being able to fall asleep when we need to. You and many others in the healthcare profession amaze me. It seems to a layperson one would would not stay sharp after 12 hours or so. It must work though because every hospital does it. Thank you!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice new additions to your tank! Those are some big boxes for one little fish.. lol

I said the same thing! Good thing my wife had just left for work or she may have thought I bought an octopus!

About 5 sq. feet of container for 3” of life. LOL!

Honestly, I am not complaining at all. All life I have ordered so far, from @AlgaeBarn, IPSF.com, LiveAquaria and BlueZooAquatics were packaged well.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am on the train home from work right now. Starting to adapt. For folks like you and I, it is all about being able to fall asleep when we need to. You and many others in the healthcare profession amaze me. It seems to a layperson one would would not stay sharp after 12 hours or so. It must work though because every hospital does it. Thank you!

Hello,

It’s funny I had to work an12 on my short day so was off at midnight. Came home and I always have to shower drives me nuts if I don’t. Then I went right to sleep, then some one just had to start their wonderfully overly loud diesel truck. The way some genius laid the planning out, they provided not only street parking but I’m maybe five houses always from the community housing swimming pool. So they put in guest parking. Which seem to be always full at night and more empty during the day lol despite people swimming.

Anyway here I sit in my blankie and listening to my tank make waves. Sleep don’t fail me now :).

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It’s funny I had to work a 12 on my day off so I was off at midnight. Came home, and I always have to shower or it drives me nuts if I don’t. Then I went right to sleep, then some one just had to start their wonderfully overly loud diesel truck. The way some genius laid the planning out, they provided not only street parking but I’m maybe five houses always from the community housing swimming pool. So they put in guest parking. Which seem to be always full at night and, empty during the day lol despite people swimming.

Anyway here I sit in my blankie and listening to my tank make waves. Sleep don’t fail me now :).

Yes lol double posted I couldn’t get my post out of your quote box. See I really am tired lol took me five min just to try and figure it out.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skyler
3B941D92-01ED-4C6F-9F01-7C6E9178E822.jpeg

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

If you have ever seen the movie minions lol sky looks just like one of the baby minions before they evolved so adorable. Oh and since it has two eyes it’s probably gonna grow up and possibly look like Kevin or Stuart in the movie :).

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

See what I’m way to chippery for onky having four hours of sleep lol

A3860DAD-FD38-4E23-A1FA-624588944BED.jpeg

C595A66D-BD20-4A7E-BB9F-D239B148FE03.jpeg

Nice! Wait, why is there a roll of toilet paper by your tank? I thought you put an end to people going in the sump.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sky is gorgeous! ;)

Thank you! I have never kept a Midas Blenny before. It is really hypnotizing the way Sky moves around. I predict more videos in the future as a photo is just not enough for this fish.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol omg I totally thought I posted those on my thread ops well I may be chippery with four hours of sleep, I don’t pay attention to detail. Yes lol after my nephews went through that, as a joke my dad put a large zip tie through the role of toilet paper and zipped tied it to the stand next to my tank.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, a quick lights on video of our aquarium showing
  • Neon Green Toadstool Leather
  • Caulastrea
  • Alveopora
  • Duncans (still have not opened, but still look healthy)
  • and the highlight, Sky, our Midas Blenny out and about enjoying his new home

I adjusted the light schedule slightly so I could enjoy the tank with my new hours. Whites were only at 2% in the video, but that was enough.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh a pink streaked wrasse! One of my favorite.. I'd pick one over a lineatus anyday, super personable little fish. It's always the smaller cryptic fish that end up being full of personality.

She has been great. Hid a bit at first, but out and around a lot now. Beautiful colors too.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current FTS at peak lighting
539904A6-3CCD-4D92-95A8-D0A1B7E6CAA5.jpeg

So what is peak lighting? I mentioned yesterday that I altered the light schedule. This was not just because of my new hours, but also because, weekly, I have been increasing the photoperiod and intensity.

When I first added corals, the lights were on for 9 hours. The surface PAR was only 120, then around 80 at the level of the Green Toadstool Leather and about 55 at the bottom. Now the lights are up to a 12 hour photoperiod with the PAR levels at 180 / 120 / 80 respectively at the peak. To achieve this, the SB Reef LED (about 9” above the surface) is set to Blue 12%, White 6% and Moon (420nm) 16%. There is a lot of room to raise from here if needed. All of the corals seem to be doing well, though I may boost it slightly to reach 100 PAR at the bottom. Then I will leave it until I add needier corals or an anemone.

Last thing, I was going to try moving the Duncan coral today to a different spot. Although the skin has remained healthy and the feeders are out often, it has yet to fully open. Then today, it actually opened up just a little bit. I decided to give it a little more time in this spot and will revisit next weekend.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last thing, I was going to try moving the Duncan coral today to a different spot. Although the skin has remained healthy and the feeders are out often, it has yet to fully open. Then today, it actually opened up just a little bit. I decided to give it a little more time in this spot and will revisit next weekend.

Tagging... :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back