OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people throw chemicals at algae. It works for them, no debate. To me algae is not a problem, it is expected. A natural part of any reef in the world. Usually comes and goes on it’s own. In my experience, adjustments to flow, feeding and patience solve most overgrowths.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F3274BA2-58C3-4009-8CE7-B1E471FFE8FC.jpeg
The tank is looking great my friend!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow!!! I had no idea!!!!!
There is much beauty in Manhattan. The ceiling of Grand Central Terminal is reminiscent of the sea in the field of teal. Interestingly, the constellations were painted, and later repainted backwards with the western constellations at the east end. Orion is actually flipped backwards to this. It means he is the only one correctly positioned as in the sky above.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don‘t think I will ever be able to un-see this! ;Facepalm ;Dead ;Hilarious ;)

Just thinking.. your not Vulcan are you? Mr. Spock can do that with his toes also.. ;Hilarious

916F1FA7-03C7-41EE-ABD4-95BEBDAF3880.jpeg

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian, those pictures are actually stunning and what a wonderful way for me to get to see New York from your perspective while we’re all sitting here at home.
Also could not help but notice that the dude at the top made the comment about the algae and I’m laughing as I say that ... he’s commented like seven times and your tank was one he needed to comment on. It just cracked me up for some reason. I guess it takes all kinds of people in this world doesn’t it?
And I loved your response.

U

User1

View Badges
A lot of people throw chemicals at algae. It works for them, no debate. To me algae is not a problem, it is expected. A natural part of any reef in the world. Usually comes and goes on it’s own. In my experience, adjustments to flow, feeding and patience solve most overgrowths.

True - as a diver I can say this is true without a doubt. Also surprising I've seen cyno at 114' depth diving a wreck in Hawaii. Open water dive. Visibility 100+ feet. Nothing but clear blue water. Giant leap off the boat, wait for daughter to splash in, sync up, give the OK to dive master, and decent. Clearing ears on the way down hover slightly above sand and see a sea of garden eels everywhere and off to the distance the F4U Corsair wreck.

What was interesting is that the sand had cyno in some areas mostly on the other side of the sand dune. Currents clearly played a roll here and on the downward slope of it it was visible. Get to the plane and it had a lot of corals to include both soft and hard - giant brain coral in the cockpit area interesting enough. Along the body towards the engine and even on the prop visible signs of algae. Huge Yellow Eyed Kole tanks (9 - 11" easy in size) swimming around eating it.

So yeah - algae is a part of the reef and I agree. Natural unless it becomes a problem. I treat it like an early warning indicator or dummy light :). That and my spaghetti worms :) They both tell me I'm feeding too much and to stop...

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian, those pictures are actually stunning and what a wonderful way for me to get to see New York from your perspective while we’re all sitting here at home.
Also could not help but notice that the dude at the top made the comment about the algae and I’m laughing as I say that ... he’s commented like seven times and your tank was one he needed to comment on. It just cracked me up for some reason. I guess it takes all kinds of people in this world doesn’t it?
And I loved your response.
About the algae post, I later considered we were misreading it. That perhaps English was not their first language. That they were lamenting their own algae and sharing the frustration. Just throwing it out there.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the algae post, I later considered we were misreading it. That perhaps English was not their first language. That they were lamenting their own algae and sharing the frustration. Just throwing it out there.

Or, perhaps, it was fascination.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back