9251966ccefc7650c8015a8a22727353.png
hah. LOL. Maybe that's what in his Belly

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use that same Innovative Marine Gourmet Grazer. Works awesome. Keeps it all together. And I do not have to put my hand in the tank. Just slide the magnet.
Just keep an eye on the Magnet on the blue Plastic NOri HOlder Piece.
Hopefully they improved the design.
Cheap seal....it will breach..... and it will bulge and rust out.
I love it so much, (have two) that I re-sealed it with silicone smear and a thin strip of plastic. (because they are not cheap to replace). Good as new.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep an eye on the Magnet on the blue Plastic NOri HOlder Piece.
Hopefully they improved the design.
Cheap seal....it will breach..... and it will bulge and rust out.
I love it so much, (have two) that I re-sealed it with silicone smear and a thin strip of plastic. (because they are not cheap to replace). Good as new.

Funny, I was just responding to another thread about the importance of not leaving feeders and scrapers in the aquarium. Daily chores can be annoying, but I highly recommend removing such devices daily and drying them out to prolong their use. Specifically the integrity of the magnets!

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I was just responding to another thread about the importance of not leaving feeders and scrapers in the aquarium. Daily chores can be annoying, but I highly recommend removing such devices daily and drying them out to prolong their use. Specifically the integrity of the magnets!
I couldn't agree more, however you get what you pay for when it comes to Magnets.
Things like impellers have to be in water all the time.

I keep these stuck on my metal wall in basement (not the pumps) as a reminder.

45626339521_19a5897202_z.jpg

Good rare earth magnets will last a long time. Like my Ancient Tunze pump I still use for water mixing. Over 20 years old, after used for 10+years.
So I trust my Tunze Strong GLASS Cleaner in the Tank all the time. It wasn't cheap, thus quality magenet.

My EuroReef Skimmer (after market Impellers last about 3 years. Just ordered one this Friday since when they swell the skimmer doesn't start up. (without help).

I have a Genuine MaxSpect Gyre. Running on 5+ years.
BUT the Chineese Knock of Gyre (in photo above) rusted less than a year. But I never noticed it till after warranty. Dead Garbage!!

I still think the Gourmet Grazer (which is a sealed Magenet) should last longer. Should last forever since magnet isn't exposed.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who would have guessed a box of rocks could be so fun. [emoji23]

Nice job on the tank!

Thanks! Picking rock and aquascaping is my favorite part of reefing. Even curing rock is fun for me. I considered changing the title of this thread a few times, but I really think a tribute to rock is appropriate.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0450.JPG

One time I got flowers, and loved them. This is not derailing because there is a reef in the picture.
Nice flowers. I love the way they are framed with Blue Tank in background. Special touch
Reef Tanks are like Gardens full of Flowers but corals instead. Like all gardens, both have weeds, which I hate.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Picking rock and aquascaping is my favorite part of reefing. Even curing rock is fun for me. I considered changing the title of this thread a few times, but I really think a tribute to rock is appropriate.
I love Aquascaping. :) But you can come over and cure my Live Rocks Next time I have to. :(

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks, today was one of those days that try a reefers soul.

First
I came home and found the Battlejuice frag at the bottom of the tank. What looked like another snail “attack.” Here he is, glue side up under blues.
EEB7D425-45B3-4704-9869-50B75E2CE60A.jpeg

I glued him back, but it did not take, so I glued him again. He is not looking happy, but will probably recover fine.
929E3F2A-3013-4CE0-A144-E80C236CD714.jpeg

Second
I then went on to the job I originally planned, removing the bubble algae @WallyB IDed from the Caulastrea. Once I removed the rock and looked closely I could clearly see the tiny bubbles. I was hoping to recut the frag away from them, but I realized on close inspection they were too close to the coral head. So I removed them manually outside of the tank and then rinsed thoroughly. Here is the remnants of the bubbles
A41E1C54-9890-4F88-B1B2-C9DAF4ED0C74.jpeg

In the process of doing that I knocked the Red Caulastrea off the rock, so I got the super glue gel back out and reattached them. They were also unhappy.

Third
Then came the toughest thing of all. Thinking I was done with the disasters I fed the tank a little past the normal time. As the fishies ate I realized something was missing. It was a fish. I looked around the floor first. Nothing. Looked all over the tank and then I saw poor little Nemo dead, wedged under a rock. Sad. He had been absolutely fine and eating well, even yesterday. Upon inspection I saw nothing unusual.

(Morbid Photo Alert)
1BC4B4B3-13DB-49F9-92CA-3A5FA88300C5.jpeg

655B2EDD-ABBF-4587-A3AC-4D50DE590758.jpeg

I hate these kind of photos, but thought I might be missing something on him that would indicate what happened. The only thing I noticed was his jaw seemed swollen. Perhaps the other Darwin Clown and he did battle? Possible. That Darwin has kept to himself around the back of the tank for a couple of days, but today he was front and center and full of life. None of the other fish showed swollen lips, or injuries.

It is also possible, as I wondered with the shrimps’ deaths, that there is a predator living in the rock. However, something like a Bobbit Worm or Mantis would have likely left a clear injury. Not looking forward to telling the kids.

Fourth
(Yes there is more)
To remove Nemo I had to get under the rock structure on the right. In that process, the structure came apart and the Toadstool Leather came off the rock (he is grown over rubble that was glued to a larger rock). He was also not happy.
4D03FE1E-B110-4789-8866-20DC4C263EFD.jpeg

I got the aquascape back together and I will get back to making it perfect some other time. I needed a break.

That is all (I hope!). A rough morning for sure. I have had fish of some kind most of my life and rough days are part of the hobby. Losses too. I move forward knowing the rest of the tank seems fine and the reef will live on.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great wall of shame!
Actually this is my Wall of Shame (or SPS failures of the new Tank)
45583977082_44ac2fc869_z.jpg

These died (RTN/STN) in early stage of tank, and knocking-on-wood no more recently.

Last Tank Attempt, I have a bucket full....Enough to start a Calcium reactor.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks, today was one of those days that try a reefers soul.

First
I came home and found the Battlejuice frag at the bottom of the tank. What looked like another snail “attack.” Here he is, glue side up under blues.
EEB7D425-45B3-4704-9869-50B75E2CE60A.jpeg

I glued him back, but it did not take, so I glued him again. He is not looking happy, but will probably recover fine.
929E3F2A-3013-4CE0-A144-E80C236CD714.jpeg

Second
I then went on to the job I originally planned, removing the bubble algae @WallyB IDed from the Caulastrea. Once I removed the rock and looked closely I could clearly see the tiny bubbles. I was hoping to recut the frag away from them, but I realized on close inspection they were too close to the coral head. So I removed them manually outside of the tank and then rinsed thoroughly. Here is the remnants of the bubbles
A41E1C54-9890-4F88-B1B2-C9DAF4ED0C74.jpeg

In the process of doing that I knocked the Red Caulastrea off the rock, so I got the super glue gel back out and reattached them. They were also unhappy.

Third
Then came the toughest thing of all. Thinking I was done with the disasters I fed the tank a little past the normal time. As the fishies ate I realized something was missing. It was a fish. I looked around the floor first. Nothing. Looked all over the tank and then I saw poor little Nemo dead, wedged under a rock. Sad. He had been absolutely fine and eating well, even yesterday. Upon inspection I saw nothing unusual.

(Morbid Photo Alert)
1BC4B4B3-13DB-49F9-92CA-3A5FA88300C5.jpeg

655B2EDD-ABBF-4587-A3AC-4D50DE590758.jpeg

I hate these kind of photos, but thought I might be missing something on him that would indicate what happened. The only thing I noticed was his jaw seemed swollen. Perhaps the other Darwin Clown and he did battle? Possible. That Darwin has kept to himself around the back of the tank for a couple of days, but today he was front and center and full of life. None of the other fish showed swollen lips, or injuries.

It is also possible, as I wondered with the shrimps’ deaths, that there is a predator living in the rock. However, something like a Bobbit Worm or Mantis would have likely left a clear injury. Not looking forward to telling the kids.

Fourth
(Yes there is more)
To remove Nemo I had to get under the rock structure on the right. In that process, the structure came apart and the Toadstool Leather came off the rock (he is grown over rubble that was glued to a larger rock). He was also not happy.
4D03FE1E-B110-4789-8866-20DC4C263EFD.jpeg

I got the aquascape back together and I will get back to making it perfect some other time. I needed a break.

That is all (I hope!). A rough morning for sure. I have had fish of some kind most of my life and rough days are part of the hobby. Losses too. I move forward knowing the rest of the tank seems fine and the reef will live on.
Sorry to hear about the fish.

At first glance I see nothing wrong with Fish. If one dies, it could mean nothing. If more, then time to look closer.
If it was killed by other fish, then you would have seen fighting.

Look around for a cheap Digital Camera. Does wonders watching for thing in tank when suspicions are there. Fish behave when you are around.
Great for watching tank and sump when away at work or vacation.
This is my favourite. I have 6 for watching house, tanks, mom's place. (Sometimes refurbished on sale for $40). I have one of the HD versions, but I like low res since works faster and less internet usage (when away)
http://ca.dlink.com/products/home-solutions/pan-tilt-daynight-network-camera-2/
You can place in area and move around, up, down. Night Vision. No fees. Will work on Cell, Computer. Record on motion, time, and store on your home network.

Don't worry about the Leather. You can play baseketball with it and it will come back. It may go thru some Molting as it wakes up. Give it time.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm trying my first monti right now. I have no idea what kind it is. It was given to me. It has begun encrusting the plug, so I may be looking for another soon. The one I really want is bright pink with a white rim. Looks a bit like a Stargazer Lily.
See photo above...Stargazers and pink montis...

IgnatiusRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about Nemo and the trying day. I try to remind myself in situations like this that I'm hosting nature in my tank and nature is messy, chaotic, and involves death. While it's frustrating and sad for us as stewards of our critters, things like this are part of the process and all we're doing is minimizing the odds of the inevitable.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back