OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemical planning. Have I mentioned how much I love math. Not a joke.

AABC0946-E125-43FD-B960-3C9789ECB06C.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I was thinking, Other issues that I had while I was Running ULNS is the nasty alk burns on my acros, Cyanobacteria and Diatoms outbreaks. I was dosing vinegar then I stopped it and is replaced with a big fuge with strong kessil LED and heavy bio-load, actually my tank is overstocked with fish and corals, and they eat a lot of food, Angels and Tangs are pigs lol, and I feed heavily to minimize aggression. nitrate is steady at 5 ppm phosphate is at 0.03 and my tank and corals never looked better !

What I think of ULNS systems is "Why to strip the water from all nutrients and then dose it again?"
I completely agree Fadi, my system ‘glows’ with life when nitrates are around 10ppm and phosphate 0.03ppm and I have no algae or other issues.

Low nutrients seems to often cause problems, not always, but it seems common.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously. How are you so perfectly and wonderfully organized in every way possible (and ways I didn't even know were possible) throughout the documentation of this entire build... you have a gift! I appreciate it greatly and I think I speak for many others that feel the same (forgive me if I've said this already). Moving on..

My current tank went 2 years without any nuisance algae or any invasive pests. Then I got lazy and stopped doing water changes (and arguably most importantly, I stopped examining every inch of my tank every single day as I had). Hair algae began to grow in clumps. Eventually I noticed one zoa frag with as many bubble algae bubbles as there were polyps - it was covered. It was honestly so shocking I was in disbelief for a moment. ANYWAY the point is I could suggest that increased nutrients boasts algae growth. I also could be totally off in that suggestion. Perhaps my neglect was all that fueled the boast in algae growth. But... certainly my neglect increased nutrient levels....

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously. How are you so perfectly and wonderfully organized in every way possible (and ways I didn't even know were possible) throughout the documentation of this entire build... you have a gift! I appreciate it greatly and I think I speak for many others that feel the same (forgive me if I've said this already). Moving on..

My current tank went 2 years without any nuisance algae or any invasive pests. Then I got lazy and stopped doing water changes (and arguably most importantly, I stopped examining every inch of my tank every single day as I had). Hair algae began to grow in clumps. Eventually I noticed one zoa frag with as many bubble algae bubbles as there were polyps - it was covered. It was honestly so shocking I was in disbelief for a moment. ANYWAY the point is I could suggest that increased nutrients boasts algae growth. I also could be totally off in that suggestion. Perhaps my neglect was all that fueled the boast in algae growth. But... certainly my neglect increased nutrient levels....

Thank you for the very kind words @samnaz

I am really looking forward to your build coming online.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol yeah, and we've just been using table salt all these years. ;Hilarious

If my salinity is a little low I just stir around the back chamber with a French fry and it is right back in line.
:)

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did it. Started the manual dose at 0.6 ppm NO3 which I will bring up to 1 ppm by the weekend and 0.015 ppm for PO4 which I will bring to 0.02 ppm. Best thing is at these amounts I know there is something there even if it does get used up, but if I test and actually measure a sustained level I know to ease off. Taking this very slow and steady with close monitoring.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting some great encrusting at the bottom with 7 of 9 SPS (not counting the Anacropora which will not encrust much). The Millepora on the right is the star. I see a few more tiny branches starting and a little bit of growth on a few. Here is an example
122190B6-461D-4811-82AA-C3DEECD24BBE.jpeg

Not much, but I am pretty satisfied.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said anyone have any thoughts on some dirty, but friendly fish for a 30 gallon display, LOL! I would love to have a small group, but tough in a 30 gallon.

Don't know how dirty they are, but I'm thinking that if you find yourself wanting another group in the future, a little colony of barnacle blennies might fit that bill. Folks who have 'em seem to adore 'em.

Tank is looking nice - good to see coral growth and health!

~Bruce

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting some great encrusting at the bottom with 7 of 9 SPS (not counting the Anacropora which will not encrust much). The Millepora on the right is the star. I see a few more tiny branches starting and a little bit of growth on a few. Here is an example
122190B6-461D-4811-82AA-C3DEECD24BBE.jpeg

Not much, but I am pretty satisfied.
Some growth is better than no growth ;) looks awesome!
:D

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s alive! I saw our Blue Porcelain Crab today for the first time since he was added 45 days ago. I was checking something with my phone light just after the LEDs went out and found him slithering out from under a rock. When we added him he was stressed and very dark colored, almost black. Seeing him now was like seeing him for the first time. Did the best I could quickly with pictures. He starts upside down under the rock, then crawls out exits stage left between a couple of empty hermit shells.

12CAFD31-5119-411C-8CBD-7DD5ED97E033.jpeg

EDB19B5E-2ED3-474A-BBFE-2954C4EAA812.jpeg

B33A568D-533E-4505-BE34-D3D6977D017B.jpeg

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some growth is better than no growth ;) looks awesome!
:D

Exactly what I was thinking. Any growth is a healthy sign. 2-3 millimeters of encrusting is very satisfying to me. I am really hoping the rest can get encrusted past the glue before a snail knocks one over again.

These are my first SPS ever. My tanks in the nineties were mostly softy colonies that came on rocks and various anemones. The super glue gel works fantastic to hold the SPS in place even if done under water, but it is not permanent or even that strong. It is like a slow motion race watching to see if they can encrust well before a snail knocks them out.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know how dirty they are, but I'm thinking that if you find yourself wanting another group in the future, a little colony of barnacle blennies might fit that bill. Folks who have 'em seem to adore 'em.

Tank is looking nice - good to see coral growth and health!

~Bruce

Thanks Bruce! Funny, the Barnacle Blennies were always high up on my original stocking idea lists.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have barnacles? I have a beautiful cluster I can send you.

No room really for a cluster, but thanks! Lots of good holes in my live rock though. My Midas Blenny has his primary home and then at least two other emergency holes I have seen him use. If I had multiple of a species like Barnacle Blennies though, that would be very cool. I love pictures where there are a cluster of barnacles with several little heads poking out.

Back