I received a box of rocks today.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking your Pajama cardinals? I'm tossing around the idea of adding them to the tank next, and would love some feedback. I read a few pages of this where you were debating adding them ;Bookworm

I have had PJ cardinals for about 6 years and they just float there. They will swim around and avoid other fish darting at them but usually they just hang out. Not very skittish either.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking your Pajama cardinals? I'm tossing around the idea of adding them to the tank next, and would love some feedback. I read a few pages of this where you were debating adding them ;Bookworm

I have had PJ cardinals for about 6 years and they just float there. They will swim around and avoid other fish darting at them but usually they just hang out. Not very skittish either.

Thanks Fudsey. Mine were supposed to come tomorrow, but did not ship due to weather.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many did you order?

A trio. I am getting my Montipora this morning still (I hope). Was hoping to do everything at once, but que sera sera.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been so happy to have Nitrate
70C58176-DAD5-4897-9DF3-C958029DD5F3.jpeg

In person I am calling it 3 ppm. Six days with no skimmer cup. I have dosed 2.2 ppm total over three days. I will probably put the skimmer cup back, but keep dosing. That way the organic will be removed, but the inorganic I dose will keep a readable level until it gets used.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In person I am calling it 3 ppm. Six days with no skimmer cup. I have dosed 2.2 ppm total over three days. I will probably put the skimmer cup back, but keep dosing. That way the organic will be removed, but the inorganic I dose will keep a readable level until it gets used.

Pfft, I think mine are around the right edge, nice work! ;)

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is pretty cool. I can see this is the nitrate test I will be ordering.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty cool. I can see this is the nitrate test I will be ordering.

It is pretty easy to read for me. If it were high I might dilute it to 10 ml and double the result. It is the Red Sea Kit with pH and Ammonia which I use and Alkalinity and Nitrite which I seldom use. Only use Alkalinity occasionally to double check the Hanna dKH.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Montipora are delayed, but in my town. It is quite a little past 10:30a, but I know, big snow storm. It is better than them being stuck in Philadelphia. Just so tired now from my overnight shift. I do not want to fall asleep mid dip!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora Added
Just a quick update. My Montipora did come in yesterday at 4:30pm. Special thanks to my wife for waking me as soon as they arrived. LOL. The corals were from a well known user in these parts, @therman . Tim has several nice corals and was very knowledgeable. He helped me select the best options for my needs. The corals were packed perfectly.

I acclimated, dipped and placed. I tend to put corals where I want them and would rather lower my lights for a couple of days as opposed to moving the corals around.

Here they are. Pictures are not great, but I wanted to show them off.

JF Blue Summit
This is a real beauty. It will be the one of the group getting the most light.
4FD1C6D9-77DF-4A47-9F8F-9DAC3BF11BBA.jpeg

As you see it was the first coral I have owned where I could not remove the frag plug (for obvious reasons). Maybe when it grows out I will cut the plug out and give it away for post #5,000.

Montipora capitata
This is the one I think will have the most interesting growth pattern. The color was the dullest of the group after shipping, but it should come back fine
DACBA5AD-E02F-4B15-831B-A80EC9005A22.jpeg

Jedi Mind Trick
Okay, this is one I should have left on the plug. It was a beautiful specimen. I broke it, but the pieces retained their great color and hopefully it should recover fine. I think this rock shape I picked will lead the pieces to an interesting shape once they grow out
D2867143-7AB8-4027-8624-D543DD02702E.jpeg

JF Outrage
I wanted to splurge a little on one really nice Montipora and this one did not disappoint
0C3A48FF-B098-48C7-97ED-66C683911567.jpeg

I was given one other piece as a freebie. A nice CC Infection Montipora. I put it in a spot that was difficult to photograph so no picture until it grows out.

Overall I am very happy with these corals. I feel like SPS Island is just about complete.

Last edited:

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this sounds dumb but how do you attach coral to the rock after the plug is removed?
If they get glued what happens if they need to be moved from original spot?

No such thing as a dumb question :)
If you use Gel super glue, it snaps off pretty easily.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful new pieces.
Sorry if this sounds dumb but how do you attach coral to the rock after the plug is removed?
If they get glued what happens if they need to be moved from original spot?

No such thing as a dumb question :)
If you use Gel super glue, it snaps off pretty easily.

@Fudsey is correct. In fact my snails have dislodged three SPS. Once they encrust though, they will hopefully be more strongly attached. At the rate that is going it will be soon.

All SPS were placed in their permanent positions. The 10 “sticks” and now the five Montipora all had a place before being ordered. With the planning that went into it they should not need to be moved. Acclimation is done with the light, not with changing position over time.

The majority of LPS and the one soft coral were glued permanently to rubble or small shelf rock. They have a sturdy home, but the rubble and shelves themselves can be repositioned as needed.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back