I received a box of rocks today.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry your having a rough week :(
I hope Ruby turns up and surprises you. Wish I had a clue to offer. I agree it’s strange that nem sos and inverts all all groovy but something is up affecting the fish. We’re corals added just before your other fish had their untimely demise?
Best of luck piecing it together just need that aha moment

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're having a tough run of things man! I know how you feel and typing out a big post always has helped me in the past as well, even if you only post a fraction of it! :) When I moved tanks I lost most of my fish for unknown reasons so I really feel you and how tough that can be, even more so when you add new fish and they don't make it or something unfortunate happens (I've had a couple of very expensive and uncommon wrasse that I'd waited years for jump on me).

Keep you head up man, keep posting your thoughts to us and hopefully the problem isn't a problem that persists or if it is, ramblings are sometimes a great way to discover things!! :)
Yes @NY_Caveman .....Keep Posting. It helps vent off steam, numbs some of the pain, and allows you to think out loud some ideas.
We are all here to help you get thru this.

Many of us, including myself many times have gone thru all kind of setbacks. Worst for me was total fish population wipe out. Fish of years.
They are not failures till you give up on the Hobby. Which I know you wont.

I think the hardest part right now for you is the mystery. The wondering if it's going to get worse......When will this end....and have you found the root cause.
AND IN THIS CASE.....When can you start confidently Adding more fish. Which I know you and everyone wants after losing a few fish.

Let's hope this Fish Mishap ends for you NOW or SOON....

Thing will get better for sure....question is...When, and how much work.

And I am going to say what others have told me till I got it.
QT for next fish is highly recommended...to minimize risks.

It prevents problems and lessens the mystery..... Allows closer fish observation. Treatments, and Higher Degree of Confidence in your DT health (since bad fish die in QT, never make it to DT).
Exactly the opposite of what you are going thru right now.

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as Ruby the missing fish. I feel for you on that TIMES Two.

Losing a fish and not knowing is tough. I lost two that way...My BlackCappet Basslet and my Long Nose Hawkfish.
Finding a dead fish brings closure. Be it disease, a fish conflict, starvation, predator, or jump.

Never found either after much searching. Hawkfish was large so where did he go....lingers in my mind to this day.

But having my Anthias die a couple of days ago.....I found him decomposed quite a lot in less than 24 hours. Close to nothing but bones.
Small fish disintegrate fast. Crabs take of the remains quickly (which is good in some ways).

Check Sump, or even if possible lift rocks, shine a flashlight under rocks....or if you have a powerhead sweep your tank to see if he float out.

But I doubt he is INSIDE YOUR TANK.
The first time I lost my Black Cap, he jumped out of tank into the overflow. I looked like 3-4 times INSIDE OVERFLOW and never saw him.
Till I turned off flow and a used bright flashlight. OVER A WEEK LATER after much searching (floors, sump, etc)
OF COURSE later, AGAIN..he escaped or died....Next time I wasn't as lucky to find him.

Hope you find Ruby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on jumping out of the tank, wrasses are suicidal by nature !

I looked everywhere, but I considered the dog may have found her first.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked everywhere, but I considered the dog may have found her first.
I have thought that a time or two. But then the fish or body showed up. Give it a day or two before grieving her loss. She may show up. If she does not, I would like to see you set up a cute little 10 gallon QT system due to these mysterious deaths.
Years ago my first tank had ich but healthy fish, a few, like my clowns, were a couple years old. But when I added fish they died. After quarantine! That was when I realised I had a typhoid mary. I emailed Bob Fenners crew on WWM to confirm my theory and learned about ich management vs ich eradication. I am not saying you have ich, I am postulating you might have something going on.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks. @Katrina71 I have one newer thing really working that is right up your alley. You will have to wait until tomorrow though for a good picture. How will you sleep tonight!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks. @Katrina71 I have one newer thing really working that is right up your alley. You will have to wait until tomorrow though for a good picture. How will you sleep tonight!
That is not fair! ;Shifty

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, he was hiding under his friend. He usually comes out when the white lights come on and the friend is fully awake. It will make more sense tomorrow when I post a picture.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[

Well, he was hiding under his friend. He usually comes out when the white lights come on and the friend is fully awake. It will make more sense tomorrow when I post a picture.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.8%
Back