NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in!

Of course, he went right to SPS Island ignoring the Bubble Tip Anemone completely. Pretty much like a lot of reefers. I have confidence this breed will find the anemone quickly.

My narrator, Molly, was very excited to have her video posted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why were you debating getting it?

A. bicinctus could grow to be 5”. I was not sure the tank was big enough. I polled a few experts and the results were mixed. I had a Clarkii in the past and it strayed pretty far from its H. magnifica host (standard 55 gallon tank). Not the same fish, but very similar.

I am a terrible judge of size and distance by eye. It was hard for me to visualize the fit. In the end, a couple of weeks ago, I saw a 5” Clarkii in a 40 breeder. 2/3 of the tank had rock work similar to my own. Looking at that example, I could visualize it finally and I knew it could work.

This new fellow came from a group of five, middle of the pack, with a clear female in charge. He is about 1 1/4”. We are following @WallyB ‘s policy and will not name him for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish and sweet narrator !!
My tank bred clownfish never hosted a nem, the female black ice like to relax in the goniopora's. this changed when I added a wild pair of clowns I caught from the red sea. the wild red sea went directly to the nems, the big female kicked them out and hosted it instead.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7338CBF5-5435-457F-82EC-1BED15770267.jpeg

He is eyeing the anemone. I love how his eyes glow. Looks awesome under the blues. I am patient, but I must say I thought he would go right in. The BTA is a natural host for A. bicinctus. When I introduced a Clarkii to my H. magnifica in the nineties, he was in in seconds. This guy is pretty small though, so maybe he just needs some time.

519590E6-0850-4E8E-A1AB-41E01E693BCD.jpeg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some reading on these guys yesterday after seeing you got him. You may have already seen it but figured I'd share anyway... It may just be a matter of time until the fish mtures a bit more. Copied below from Wiki.

Studies conducted in the northern Red Sea have demonstrated that A. bicinctus has a preference for E. quadricolor over H. crispa and sexually mature fish are rarely hosted by H. crispa.[6][7] In 2005, anemone density was found to affect whether H. crispa hosted anemonefish, with clusters of juvenile fish only found at low density sites, while either 1 or no juvenile anemonefish were found in H. crispa at the high density site. The authors theorised that H. crispa was a nursery anemone due to being unable to adequately protect adult anemonefish from predation, active emigration of fish to E. quadricolor and/or environmentally-controlled cessation of fish growth.[6] A subsequent study in 2012 tested the nursery theory and concluded that the sea anemone H. crispa was a less-preferred host than E. quadricolor, and that fish preference appeared to be the result of body size, morphology, and behavior of the host.[7]

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe but it's certainly more enjoyable to get them as young males and watch them mature/change. Also who really knows anything about anemones anyway? Almost everything is anecdotal. Had the divers swam another 100 yards while doing their study they probably would have had totally different conclusions. LoL. I have no doubt he'll jump in there when he's ready :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back