OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. This weekend I will take a look at and build the stand and then the next big hurdle is the leak test. I will also try to dry fit everything in the chambers to be sure of my plan.

It appears the stand for this 45-FP does not have a center brace like the RL-45 stand which seems strange and would be a concern. Hard to find any good information on this tank and stand (which is why I will post a bunch of info soon).

I may build a kind of insert for the stand for support and to house my ADJ PC-100 Power Center.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some calculations today:

The outer dimensions represent a 45 gallon tank and we know manufacturers usually list this way. Assuming the water level and baffles, etc. this is what I get:

Display volume: 28.34 gallons
Compartments total volume: 8.00 gallons
Total volume: 36.33 gallons

Weight
Tank: 88 lbs.
Stand: 60 lbs
Water: 310.16 lbs.
Total: 485.41 lbs

With rock and equipment it is a little over 500 lbs. The glass is 2 mm thicker than the RL-45.

EDIT: I made some edits including calculations on the compartments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was not the productive weekend I had hoped for with the tank, but I still had a fantastic Father’s Day weekend with my wife and kids.

There were a few minor non-aquarium distractions that popped up that really killed some time. Anyway, the one tank related delay was the new stand. It is very glossy. Much more glossy than shown in the images or, frankly, I could have imagined.

208D20CF-4A3C-4E94-BEA4-293A9C9ECD60.jpeg

If you zoom in you can see it is almost a mirror. Very different than the previous JBJ tank stands that were delivered. We were not sure if we wanted to use it so we decided to think about it for a day or two before assembling. I even looked at other options. I had started the power center insert for the stand, but then that may be moot.

A5B7408D-80B7-44C8-8B91-013CD327F461.jpeg

So the integrity of everything is looking well so far and this is simply our personal opinion on the aesthetics. We have decided to build it and see how it looks all together. My wife took ill tonight though (nothing serious) so I lost my helper and did not end up assembling the stand. I have Friday off so probably then. Next weekend will be very busy. I should probably skip RAP NY and work on the tank.

Nah, I am too excited for Reef-a-Palooza. Even if I will not be buying anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates on the stand situation? I know, it's not Friday...but I have to be impatient about something and it's best that I'm not impatient about something with my own tank ;)

LOL, funny. I am pretty impatient too. In fact, part of the intention of this build is to practice better patience in my life.

I have been putting in extra work hours this week so the plan is still the same. No updates. I really wish I had just built the stand last weekend, but I cannot fault myself for taking due time to consider my thoughts.

I will say, once the stand is up everything should start rolling quickly along. I have all the equipment on hand and 1/3 of my total rock has been curing, then maturing for 6 total months now. Seeing a ton of pods in that rock so they are certainly ready for prime time.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before anyone asks, plans changed. Tomorrow is supposed to be thunderstorms in NY all day so working on everything tomorrow.

Today was all about my oldest daughter graduating from elementary school anyway.

That is her in the middle
09A0C81C-44D7-4CA8-B155-6534ED53A2A5.jpeg

and on the left.
FF50A495-E09D-4602-B8F4-CDF64C3366F4.jpeg

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TIME IN: 8.5 Months
TIME WET: 6 Months

I had a very productive day.

Job 1
7F16B9C0-5394-428D-89F5-D49F41BB6ABE.jpeg

Installed a GFCI outlet for the aquarium (thanks to @Brew12 for answering a quick question).

Job 2a
9ADD0A84-1957-4D5A-9484-D3E368126A82.jpeg

Built the stand mostly, but then took a break to finish this...

Job 3
7E41F384-8594-4EC2-8ECE-83B4A7410056.jpeg

the simple stand insert. I wanted something to mount the power center and thought this might add some support to the stand. I am not handy at all with wood or structures (good with electronics and math though, see Job 1 above). Building this crude piece reminded me I should not build my own stand. I will say in the end, this piece was level which is what was most important.

Job 4
DBDF31AA-0ACC-487E-AF2D-45E79C114432.jpeg

I finally leak tested the tank and all is perfect. I cleaned it out too. I forgot to take a picture of it full, so here you see me draining it. I tested both pumps and they work well.

Job 2b
Back to the stand. It is done except for the doors. I will put those on after the kids go to bed. Want the wife to hold them for a good fit.

Job 5
Tonight I will silicone the Starboard to the bottom of the tank.

I am still very happy with the Flat Panel aquarium. The more I work with it the more I really like it and its size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done
8CD5E3B3-3BBB-4460-9A96-AB4501FD66B3.jpeg

and done
9F96B5CB-2C94-44E3-BEA3-5B8DE9B11D76.jpeg

I know I am probably in the minority, but I really like the look of the black Starboard against the black of the back panel. I have never liked sand in my own tanks. Three reasons:

1. It blows around.
  2. Many say sand is natural. I would say sand does not perform the same in a closed system as in nature. There may not be enough biodiversity to offset the accumulation of gunk, hence
  3. It needs to be replaced at some point

The challenge is to sculpt the tank in a living manner that works with the look of Starboard. I am ready for the challenge!

EDIT: BTW, this is the Starboard piece I bought for the RL-45 with the rounded front corners. It fits this Flat Panel tank perfectly. Actually a better fit because of the squared corners.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why isn't it full yet??

o_Oo_Oo_O

Ha! Payback for everyone rushing your build!

48 hours on the silicone. I assumed it was 24 and I could fill tomorrow night after RAP NY. Nope. Oh well.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done

and done

I know I am probably in the minority, but I really like the look of the black Starboard against the black of the back panel. I have never liked sand in my own tanks. Three reasons:

1. It blows around.
  2. Many say sand is natural. I would say sand does not perform the same in a closed system as in nature. There may not be enough biodiversity to offset the accumulation of gunk, hence

The challenge is to sculpt the tank in a living manner that works with the look of Starboard. I am ready for the challenge!

EDIT: BTW, this is the Starboard piece I bought for the RL-45 with the rounded front corners. It fits this Flat Panel tank perfectly. Actually a better fit because of the squared corners.

The finish turned out great.
Before anyone asks, plans changed. Tomorrow is supposed to be thunderstorms in NY all day so working on everything tomorrow.

Today was all about my oldest daughter graduating from elementary school anyway.

That is her in the middle
09A0C81C-44D7-4CA8-B155-6534ED53A2A5.jpeg

and on the left.
FF50A495-E09D-4602-B8F4-CDF64C3366F4.jpeg

Congratulations!!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done

and done

1. It blows around.

That all looks very smart and a very nice job so far.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back