OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Me too. My first reaction was typical. Unhappy. Started thinking about cutting losses and different tanks. Feelings of regret. I was also hoping to get some first corals by Reef-a-Palooza in NY, too, but that was a total arbitrary target.

It is crappy, but I can wait it out. My reef is still going to rock. We had a great, busy weekend as a family and that really helped me put it in perspective.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TIME IN: 7.5 Months
TIME WET: 5 Months

No solid news to report yet on a new tank.

I spent my limited reef time this weekend tending to the rocks maturing in the bucket (closest thing I have to a reef right now). I am still seeing Coralline algae on the rock after three months, but it is fading a little. It gets a little ambient light, but not much. Not too worried, though. It will survive and I will be adding more rock when it all moves to the aquarium. I still see lots of pods and some worms occasionally. There is probably more in the rock. I keep the flow pretty high in the bucket. I continue dosing Phytoplankton every 36 hours. I stop the flow for 15 minutes for that. I also add a pinch of freeze dried blood worms every few days too. Had those on hand for our Halfmoon Betta.

I have been testing parameters all along the way. Here is some of the data:

BucketEDIT.JPG

I had not tested Alkalinity in a while since it is just a bunch of rocks. It was holding between 9-9.5 dKH back in March. I decided last week to try out the used Hannah Alkalinity dKH Checker HI772 I picked up. I was a bit surprised the result was lower than I expected (7.5 dKH). At first, I attributed it to "first time using" error. This week, however, I had the same result and double checked it with the Red Sea test, I am using the same batch of salt mix, but I will test it next time I mix to see where it is.

EDIT: You can see a spike in the chart when I switched to saltwater at the end of February. That is where I added some live rock to the cured shelf rock. I took it as a healthy sign to see those levels come right back down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your tank. Is there no where local to pick one up so you don't have to rely on Stone Hands McGee delivering it?

I wish that was an option. I have had aquariums delivered before without issue. I have also moved tanks myself many times. I guess I was due.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing much to report over the last week. I am getting a new aquarium sent so hopefully that will come in a usable condition. I mean my luck cannot be that bad. Right?

JBJ offered me yet another upgrade on the tank this time. So the third delivery will also be a third different tank. I will write more about that and these tanks in general once I see the new one in person and check its integrity.

Staying patient, but dieing to get this build going.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which upgrade is this!! It def is frustrating... Hang in there. you have everything but can’t do anything..

I will take a picture tonight after work and show you. All of the equipment has just been sitting boxed since the end of 2017. I tested what I could and all seemed fine.

I am not ready to divulge the new tank they sent me. I want to see it first and see how I feel about it. Then, like or dislike, I will give all details. I have a long post in my head about the JBJ aquariums and the general difficulty in finding a 24” AIO aquarium that is not too narrow.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s some serious planning

That is some serious bad luck!
+1000

I've seen some bad luck but never with AIO nanos. I lucked out with my JBJ 30. Only thing that came broken was one of those plastic foot supports for the stand.

Are they sending you another 45 or something different again?

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to wait until I received the new tank to talk more about it, but since many folks are curious so here is what has been in my head.

When I first was researching a new aquarium the perfect sized tank was hard to find. My house is big, but considering structural issues, the HVAC system, areas of foot traffic and other factors, there is really only one perfect location in the house. This spot is 36” exactly. The only other option would be the basement, but we do not “hang out” down there.

With 36” I wanted a 24” AIO aquarium. I liked the Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20 quality. Then I saw one in person at a LFS and realized it was very narrow. Too narrow for me. I also considered their 25 Lagoon, but the back compartments were just under 3” wide and would not fit some of the equipment I wanted.

The options I finally found at the time were the JBJ Rimless 30, the Cobalt C-Vue 26 and the Waterbox 30 Classic. The Waterbox had an additional $200 shipping charge so despite liking the tank, I crossed it off the list. The Cobalt had beveled edges and mitered corners which seemed weird to me. I also saw some pictures where the seams were off by a millimeter or more. That left the JBJ 30. The only concern about the JBJ was how I would like the rounded corners and would they be structurally sound.

I received my 30 with a crack and after a long wait the company offered me an upgrade to a 45. I took it as you all know, and that tank also came with a crack in it.

The truth is, though, the 45 was too large for the space in my home. It was longer and wider than the 30. Even though it was only a few inches, I felt it did not look right in the location we had. When I spoke with JBJ I asked what all of my options were. The reply was that a 30 would not be available any time in the near future. A 45 may be available on the next shipment, but as I said, I felt it was too big. Then they offered me their newer Flat Panel 25 gallon and stand which they could send out right away.

I thought long about it and I decided to take the aquarium. Here are my reasons why. First, I found that I did not love the curved glass look and continued to be concerned about the tank’s integrity. Although the issues with my cracked tanks were not related to the curved glass, it seemed to reinforce my concerns with that line of tanks in general.

Second, the 25 gallon tank size is closer to my original plan when I looked originally. The back chamber is wide enough and it seemed to be a good fit.

The third reason I took it is if I’m the end the tank comes and I do not like it, the new model should be easy to sell.

My only concern with the 25, other than receiving it intact, is that it is not as long as and rather taller than I desired. It is only 18.5” long and 18” tall. That will make for a real aquascaping challenge, but I have some ideas. This tank will basically be in the corner of the room. What I think I will do is use the stand from the original 30 I received for this 25 gallon tank and then on the side toward the wall, use a CPR Small HOB Refugium I have. This together will be the length of the 30 and give me a partial display of the clear end of the refugium.

The real challenge is the tank I really want simply does not exist. I am trying to find the closest fit and am adjusting along the way. If the 25 does not work for me I have some options I am considering. One would be replacing the bottom panel on the original JBJ 30 gallon I received. I could replace the glass for $40-50 and it looks like it would not be too difficult. I have never done something like that before, though, so I am not sure I would ever have peace of mind doing that.

Another option is there is one tank I found that is perfect. The
AquaMaxx 32.1 Gallon Rimless. It is roughly 24” x 18” x 18”, but, it is not an AIO.

I have an AquaMaxx I bought previously from the same vendor, @MarineDepot. It came shipped very well, double boxed and packed in. The tank I have is absolutely beautiful. I could use this with the JBJ 30 stand and either use the HOB refugium alone, skimmerless. That would still leave some equipment visible though. I could attempt to add baffles to it. Adding baffles would not affect the tank integrity like replacing the bottom pane of the 30 and I could sleep well at night.

So this is where I stand. I have a lot in my head right now and not sure what will happen. In the end I want to be sure I am happy and do not rush into anything just to finally have a tank after a long delay.

Last edited:

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be repairing the bottom glass. That is the tank that you really wanted and the tank that fits the house the best.
It is actually an easy job to do. Just make sure you use an appropriate silicone. I am not sure which brand you would need in the states but I am sure the guys here can point you in the right direction.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the 25 feels too small, that is exactly what I think I will do. GE Type I is the one to use in the states, no mildew inhibitors or the like. Or I may just pay up for an aquarium specific silicone. Thanks!

Monsinour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, you waited long enough. Waiting a smidge longer won't hurt things. Use the tank that is perfect for you. If that means repairing the 30, so be it.the bottom glass will be "braced" by whatever stand it's on. Silicone the crack, put water and rock in it for 2 months. No drips, yay!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this thread start to finish and thoroughly enjoyed every bit (especially the spreadsheets, I also feel the need to create spreadsheets for *everything*). Exceptional planning and documentation. Of course I also have to commend you for your patience and commitment to your vision/dream, and I can't wait to see/hear whatever happens next.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this thread start to finish and thoroughly enjoyed every bit (especially the spreadsheets, I also feel the need to create spreadsheets for *everything*). Exceptional planning and documentation. Of course I also have to commend you for your patience and commitment to your vision/dream, and I can't wait to see/hear whatever happens next.

Thank you @samnaz! Sorry to keep you up. I am feeling the drama myself.

I have been to Michigan dozens of times and have lots of family there. Mostly further south, Detroit, Jackson, Kalamazoo. I have been to Ann Arbor a few times and have a cousin living there now. A couple others went to school there. Great state all around! Well, except Detroit.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update...

I am not getting the JBJ 25 Flat Panel. I am going with the 45 Flat Panel.

Why?

The 25 is only 18” long. That is not even as long as a standard 10 gallon aquarium. After much thought, it is just too small. I wanted 24-30” long and the 45 is 26.5” by 22” deep. Yes I know I said I thought the 45 Rimless with the curved front corners seemed too big. However, I think the rounded corners may have made it “feel” bigger. Weighing the pros and cons, there was one factor that figured heavily into my decision: larger water volume. It is better for tank health and livestock selection. Knowing I will have an anemone at some point, I felt it was right to go with the largest tank that would fit in the space. Lastly, I think I have decided I like the option of a standard rectangle better than the curved corners.

LOL, that was not quick. I have no idea what the word “concise” means. That is okay, the best build threads are the ones where you can really see the thought process of the OP being worked out.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to hear you having such bad luck, I have two JBJ cubes that I have had for 10 +/- years, no real issues except that the factory light crapped out after about four years, was glad to upgrade to a kessil 300 light anyway. I know your tank is going to be awesome. Hang in there.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back