I received a box of rocks today.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update...

I am not getting the JBJ 25 Flat Panel. I am going with the 45 Flat Panel.

Why?

The 25 is only 18” long. That is not even as long as a standard 10 gallon aquarium. After much thought, it is just too small. I wanted 24-30” long and the 45 is 26.5” by 22” deep. Yes I know I said I thought the 45 Rimless with the curved front corners seemed too big. However, I think the rounded corners may have made it “feel” bigger. Weighing the pros and cons, there was one factor that figured heavily into my decision: larger water volume. It is better for tank health and livestock selection. Knowing I will have an anemone at some point, I felt it was right to go with the largest tank that would fit in the space. Lastly, I think I have decided I like the option of a standard rectangle better than the curved corners.

LOL, that was not quick. I have no idea what the word “concise” means. That is okay, the best build threads are the ones where you can really see the thought process of the OP being worked out.

I really enjoy the 45 size I have. I had to pick this or CAD lights. 36 is the max space I have. I really really wanted the 30inch long, but I’m glad I picked this. I like the depth as well, which they didn’t have in the 30inch long. All in all you made the perfect choice “larger volume in terms of maintaining a good reef with stable chemistry but then not worrying about other factors”

Keep us posted!! I’m soo eager to see these next steps.... Hang in there!!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to hear you having such bad luck, I have two JBJ cubes that I have had for 10 +/- years, no real issues except that the factory light crapped out after about four years, was glad to upgrade to a kessil 300 light anyway. I know your tank is going to be awesome. Hang in there.

I should mention that JBJ has been easy to communicate with. I infer they want this resolved as correctly and quickly as I do.

(knock on wood :) )

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stayed up too late catching up on this. It’s been a good read, I love all the planning and share your enthusiasm for the build process! Good choice on the 45 over the 24, following along to see a tank with water in it soon!

Thank you! I will need Clifff Notes for my thread by the time it is wet.

caveman strong like sabretooth, patient like mammoth.whole village proud!

LOL! Nice!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate my refractometer every time I use it with RO/DI. After my Alkalinity tested fairly low recently I decided I should make a 100ml reference salinity solution at 35 ppt. I used Randy’s recipe as a guide:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.htm

I mixed the solution and after calibrating the refractometer at 0 with RO/DI, the solution tested at 40 ppt. Um, what? The refractometer could not be off that badly could it? I looked at my math notes for the solution and realized I had made an obvious error. Dumped and mixed a new batch. The refractometer tested it at exactly 0 ppt for the RO/DI and 35 ppt for the solution. This tells me my refractometer has been working. This experience tells me that despite mixing various solutions for years I should still double check everything.

Some say measure twice and cut once. I am thinking math twice and mix once.

I did test the Alkalinity of some newly mixed LiveAquaria saltwater and it was 8.6 dKH right in the range I expected. The old water taken from the bucket was 7.8 dKH. Last time it was 7.5 dKH. All tests were Hanna dKH and the lowest reading was confirmed by a Red Sea test. I have recently been changing 50% of the water every two weeks. I must say I am surprised it is dropping that much, but not really concerned.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought refractometers weren’t good when calibrated within RODI?? I could be wrong, been mostly using a Milwaukee digital salinity gauge lately, so it’s been a while since calibrating a refractometer.
You calibrate the Milwaukee with ro/ri. You test the refractometer with 35ppt solution. If you are calibrating the milwaukee with sea water, there might be a problem with salinity.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definitely better calibrated at or near the value for which you are testing. In this case 35 ppt. However, because the adjusting nut can be off, I felt it must be calibrated with something. So calibrating to 0 ppt with RO/DI was at least useful for consistency for a while. Remember, it is mostly rocks in a bucket.

As soon as I thought something may be off (my Alkalinity) I wanted to be certain and made a 35 ppt solution. I have confirmed to my satisfaction for my refractometer that it is accurate to calibrate at 0 ppt or 35 ppt.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You calibrate the Milwaukee with ro/ri. You test the refractometer with 35ppt solution. If you are calibrating the milwaukee with sea water, there might be a problem with salinity.

Right. Good distinction. Calibrating vs. testing. I get sloppy with words sometimes.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right, I calibrate the Milwaukee with RODI every time it’s used per the instructions, I just know I have 35ppt solution in my drawer from my refractometer day and was thinking it was used for calibration.

Good to know you are now comfortable with the salinity!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to work tonight. But not really working. As you can see the Stanley Cup game is the feature event.

653FB679-9187-42E8-8244-D30B1359CA41.jpeg

Before anyone asks, I am a freelance Technical Director for live television. Mostly for news and sports over my career. Babysitting a news control room tonight.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@NY_Caveman wow just read your whole thread and love it. I don’t love the success you have had with your new tanks, but super excited for you to get the new 45. Any news on when that little bundle of joy will be dropped off by the stork? (I was just thinking, could you imagine how big that stork would have to be lol). I bet he is saying good lord how many do they need, I’m dying here delivering these babies.

I can’t wait to see it and how it goes lol, makes me nervous when I have my new 400 built and shipped to me. But in my case they won’t need a stork, they will need a humped back whale (which knowing our luck the whale will be in the tank going umm where is the water guys come on here), or a gorilla. IF you need anything at all please let me know I’d love to help out.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@NY_Caveman wow just read your whole thread and love it. I don’t love the success you have had with your new tanks, but super excited for you to get the new 45. Any news on when that little bundle of joy will be dropped off by the stork? (I was just thinking, could you imagine how big that stork would have to be lol). I bet he is saying good lord how many do they need, I’m dying here delivering these babies.

I can’t wait to see it and how it goes lol, makes me nervous when I have my new 400 built and shipped to me. But in my case they won’t need a stork, they will need a humped back whale (which knowing our luck the whale will be in the tank going umm where is the water guys come on here), or a gorilla. IF you need anything at all please let me know I’d love to help out.

Thanks @Sarah24! Thank you for reading. I think that stork will need a truss. Maybe a Pterodactyl would work for yours! Just be sure to give him a good tip.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol @NY_Caveman I would be scared to have a Pterodactyl deliver it. He won’t be looking for s tip, but looking for a little snack, and sadly I’d probably be on his menu. I may stick with the gorilla, even though he will probably through my tank through the wall, as it crashes on my couch.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW..... What a string of bad tanks..... Just read through and all I can say is wow. I feel your pain :)

Tagging along to see how this turns out ;)

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW..... What a string of bad tanks..... Just read through and all I can say is wow. I feel your pain :)

Tagging along to see how this turns out ;)

Thanks @Fudsey! I hope it is a happy ending.

Back