OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drama continues. It was a rainy, humid day in Westchester County, NY. Delivery was scheduled for between 12 and 3pm. I waited patiently. The deadline came and passed. No one showed and no one called. At 3:30pm I called the hub in CT and asked, “Dude, where’s my tank?” They seemed a bit surprised and said they would get back to me.

Half an hour later they called and said the truck broke down (the second truck to break down on this delivery from LA, CA). The dispatcher though seemed skeptical that the driver was unaccounted for for 90 minutes. They assured me the driver would be there by 4:30pm. Perfect. The exact time I have to leave for work.

My wife arrived home at 4:20pm from her job and we passed the baton on minding the kids. I explained the situation to her and she was fine taking the delivery. I was bummed that I would not be there for it, but I had no choice. I explained she needed to carefully open the box and check the glass before signing off on the delivery. I told her I would do a more thorough check when I arrived home at 2:30am.

At 5:00pm, while riding the train into Manhattan toward work, the dispatcher called. He asked if the address was a school? Ummm, no. They had the wrong address. Nice. I gave them the correct address and texted my wife the new delivery time.

At 5:30pm, the freight shipment arrived. According to my wife, the tank looked fine and the glass was intact. She did note the box with the stand had an impact on it, but as it was under the tank, she could not open it and check it out. She signed off on the delivery and we have a new aquarium.

Truth is, until I inspect the aquarium and stand myself, I will not really know its condition. I am hopeful, but feel like this event is incomplete. It will be a long night at work waiting.

Thanks to everyone following this saga. It definitely helps having the support of friendly, fellow reefers!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I considered calling in or coming in late. It is impossible to do last minute in my profession though. I am a Technical Director for live television shows. The show must go on! Especially bad to do since I am a freelance worker and would like to continue to get the great jobs I am getting.

C’est la vie! It is is only a few hours more and now I have something to do at 3am.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, so really good.

73CF5F89-9EF0-43C9-AAC9-BED97EBCD64D.jpeg

BCA761C6-CBFD-4D0E-9DBC-1F41E8EDA42E.jpeg

727457FD-4395-4F02-8176-2EB942087FF9.jpeg

First thing I checked was the bottom pane. It appears fine. Everything is packed better than the last two tanks. The only concern is the stand. The impact my wife mentioned is much bigger than I expected

295E3FE5-AA77-4FFA-BA66-82E2B11C8B0D.jpeg

(More to come)

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are some thoughts:
  • I like the Flat Panel much more than I liked the rounded corners of the last two tanks.
  • The water line of the FP-45 is 1/4” lower than the RL-45 with rounded edges.
  • The FP-45 usable display area is 5/8” less wide and 1/4” less long than the RL-45. My sheet of Starboard should just fit between the silicone seams. EDIT: I should note the glass is thicker than the RL-45 which I consider a big plus!
  • The back compartments are wider than the RL-45. The baffles go to the bottom as opposed to the previous two tanks which each had a two inch under chamber connecting to the center chamber.
Packing Notes:
  • The glass cover was secured much better in this tank and completely covered. The RL-45 and RL-30 came with the ends of glass exposed.
  • The pumps were connected as in the previous tanks, but now secured with bubble wrap.
  • There is still carbon dust all over the filter compartments.
  • Although the stand box is very damaged, the stand appears to have been very well secured deep in the packaging with styrofoam.
I was too tired to move the tank and get the stand out. It is quite late and frankly, I am walking on egg shells around this tank right now. I am paranoid I will drop the tape measure or something. I will wait until I have two people to move it.

I have all the dimensions and will probably work out a new diagram as a reference this weekend. Overall, I am very happy with the tank. The size seems perfect and the slight differences all seem to work for my plan. I must say looking at it it just looks nicer than the previous ones. Perhaps it was my fate all along to end up with this tank as I am quite content right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone who followed along or was up late. It made this particular unboxing way more fun. I still have some things to check, but overall I am feeling really good.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry so late @mahindra.dev
I was cleaning up the photos.

No worries. I was up cos I’m flying this AM to Houston. I’m glad everything worked out. Nice update this AM.

See 3rd time is def a charm!! Keep those updates coming.

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...sounds like it’s come good in the morning end...so happy for you.

Though it does need to be said, the fact that the thrilling “and next time stay tuned for the next exciting episode of the Tank drama” is over...is...somewhat perversely a little bit disappointing.

Hopefully the build/assembly updates are equally “edge of your seat” but without the negative drama!!!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...sounds like it’s come good in the morning end...so happy for you.

Though it does need to be said, the fact that the thrilling “and next time stay tuned for the next exciting episode of the Tank drama” is over...is...somewhat perversely a little bit disappointing.

Hopefully the build/assembly updates are equally “edge of your seat” but without the negative drama!!!

Ha! I still have to test for leaks. Really in reefing, the drama never ends.

Back