I received a box of rocks today.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried 4 of them. They chat with the appy's at night waiting for me to feed the tank. Eventually I need to catch them so I can try the nudibranches.
(lol)
As long as you don't have wrasse's, bring on the Nudi's!!

:)

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen him eating any with my own eyes. I will say I have not seen any Aiptasia or Mojano in 72 hours after seeing at least one each day before (I know he probably only eats the Aiptasia). My feeling was if the Aiptasia I saw dumped any babies before I got to them, Pepper might take care of them. If not, he is a cute little bugger and unlike nudibranchs he will eat other food.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thing about the Mojanos is, for most of them, I just sucked them up with a turkey baster and they came right out. Only a couple of larger ones had a good hold on the rocks where I needed to remove the rock and blast them.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking it was kind of early to start adding supplements to this set-up? But certainly not to early to test the efficacy of the supplements, right?

Pale Ale always worked as a great supplement to my well being.

As far as the tank I want to keep it simple and easy. No big dosing plans at all, but eventually something like Kalkwasser will likely be needed at the least. I would keep it on a doser separate from the ATO when the time comes.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good . My notifications were not working till today for some reason. I thought everyone was on vacation and doing nothing with thier tanks. Now that I see his much was going on I gotta get busy!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good . My notifications were not working till today for some reason. I thought everyone was on vacation and doing nothing with thier tanks. Now that I see his much was going on I gotta get busy!

FYI, if you click on "Watched Threads" you will see all of the thread updates that have gotten lost.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew! just made it threw, I must say you have the patience of a Prince and the kids too. BTW beautiful kids. I like the tank, 45 was a good choice after everything and its a nice one. Not sure what that NY thing was about, I used to go to Ford Buffalo Stamping quite a bit and like upstate (& Rodney's) Its just like Michigan. My daughter did her spring breaks on Broadway every year, Arts and Advertising major, thank god she found an interim with a Detroit Sports ad ferm. Anyway cant wait to see what direction you go with Live stock.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew! just made it threw, I must say you have the patience of a Prince and the kids too. BTW beautiful kids. I like the tank, 45 was a good choice after everything and its a nice one. Not sure what that NY thing was about, I used to go to Ford Buffalo Stamping quite a bit and like upstate (& Rodney's) Its just like Michigan. My daughter did her spring breaks on Broadway every year, Arts and Advertising major, thank god she found an interim with a Detroit Sports ad ferm. Anyway cant wait to see what direction you go with Live stock.

Thank you @siggy! I have been to Michigan a lot for family and really enjoyed it.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First livestock added! Two Cleaner Shrimp, my favorites.

The big one is already hanging upside down. He is very active.
CB646611-6004-41FF-B964-4168B3B6C2BC.jpeg

189DF058-4367-46EC-AB82-6C0006A29736.jpeg

The smaller one was out, but I could not get good shots of him until later (under blues).
14B8A040-E62B-44C1-B50A-5A14DBAB64A4.jpeg

C37E81B7-ECD8-41C7-8C39-DA827C6AA275.jpeg

When the lights went down they went into the cave together. Perfect.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First livestock added! Two Cleaner Shrimp, my favorites.

The big one is already hanging upside down. He is very active.
CB646611-6004-41FF-B964-4168B3B6C2BC.jpeg

189DF058-4367-46EC-AB82-6C0006A29736.jpeg

The smaller one was out, but I could not get good shots of him until later (under blues).
14B8A040-E62B-44C1-B50A-5A14DBAB64A4.jpeg

C37E81B7-ECD8-41C7-8C39-DA827C6AA275.jpeg

When the lights went down they went into the cave together. Perfect.

Hmm.. and here I thought they weren't supposed to get along that well. Interesting!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. and here I thought they weren't supposed to get along that well. Interesting!

I had two together for six years a long time ago and they were inseparable. Those two were male and female though if that matters. Not sure about the sex of these two yet until I see them produce some eggs (or not).

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimps stayed in the cave most of the day, but they were pretty active nonetheless. Mid afternoon I dosed some Phytoplankton. The pods immediately came out in numbers and went wild. All three shrimps came out of the cave. I then dropped a few small pellets and the two Cleaners and the Peppermint all ate together outside of the cave. The larger Cleaner Shrimp made it clear what food he wanted, but mostly they all dined in peace.

Here is a quick video overview of the aquarium. The motion of the video really shows off the shapes of the rock.

EDIT: I updated the video file to 1080p for best quality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally found a Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)! The family is very excited. I wanted to add the most peaceful fish first. He will be here tomorrow.

WYSIWYG image
935B685A-59C2-44DF-9A89-D6F92F906477.jpeg

I know I added a lot recently (hermits, snails and 3 shrimp over a 2 week period), but this will be the last addition for a while. My plan was always to get some life in the tank right away to help it mature. It will be the last livestock for at least a month.

Two things I am thinking about right now

1. I think I will try to remove the Xanthid Crab tonight. He had behaved, but I found a dead hermit this morning. I am not sure I could live with myself if I left him and he hurt the Wrasse. He is the only critter in the tank that would pose a threat.

2. After adding the Cleaner Shrimp, the tank seems smaller to me. They offer scale and it has me rethinking my stocking plans.

Savo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally found a Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)! The family is very excited. I wanted to add the most peaceful fish first. He will be here tomorrow.

WYSIWYG image
935B685A-59C2-44DF-9A89-D6F92F906477.jpeg

I know I added a lot recently (hermits, snails and 3 shrimp over a 2 week period), but this will be the last addition for a while. My plan was always to get some life in the tank right away to help it mature. It will be the last livestock for at least a month.

Two things I am thinking about right now

1. I think I will try to remove the Xanthid Crab tonight. He had behaved, but I found a dead hermit this morning. I am not sure I could live with myself if I left him and he hurt the Wrasse. He is the only critter in the tank that would pose a threat.

2. After adding the Cleaner Shrimp, the tank seems smaller to me. They offer scale and it has me rethinking my stocking plans.
Great choice, I can’t wait to see your tank in the next year. I’m sure it will be amazing

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choice, I can’t wait to see your tank in the next year. I’m sure it will be amazing

Thanks! I hope so! If it ends up covered in hair algae I will still be posting though.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a chaeto reactor, I got one just over a week ago and notice huge difference already in algae growth. Almost completely subsided

Nice! I considered a reactor for a while, but I am trying to keep everything contained in the tank without external pumps. I am going to try a mini Chaetomorpha refugium in one of the back chambers for now and see what happens. As of right now, 22 days in, I have seen no algae at all (except for tons of Coralline).

Back