OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a lot going on here tonight and none of it was great. Nothing serious, mind you, just some normal setbacks (In reefing? No way! ;Jawdrop).

I
First and foremost, our fish did not ship, but is being monitored. That is okay. I want them to deliver a strong specimen. I am requesting any details. This is my first shipped fish ever, so of course I am already nervous. I understand this is not the hardiest of species either (Pseudocheilinops ataenia).

II
Second thing is, after adding a simple Phosphate remover bag and doing a couple of water changes, PO4 has returned to around 0.68. I am setup to create a small Chaetomorpha refugium in one of the filter compartments, I just need to get some Chaeto. That may help some, but it will only be 3% of the system volume (my experience is there are also benefits to plants and Macroalgae beyond pure nutrient removal as well).

I really want to keep this tank simple and natural based partly on how I kept saltwater aquariums years ago (choice live rock, skimmer, activated carbon, strong lighting and flow). I will utilize some newer ideas of course (love my gyre). I decided early though I am not interested in reactors or anything that adds pumps or flow outside of the system. Then I toyed with the idea for a while and now I am back where I started. I guess I feel if I wanted to run external pumps I would have gone with a sump. That is how I feel for my tank and I say that knowing reactors work well for many people’s nano systems (I note I do have a Tunze Osmolator, so I have one external pump).

III
The third thing I am a bit down about I was not sure I would share, but I am. It is part of my system and I want to document everything here. I removed the Xanthid crab tonight. He was right there in the perimeter where he patrols every night. It was easy to get him. Too easy. I debated a long time in my head because I love invertebrates. That is why I have a reef. Keeping the Xanthid crab was a risk. I am pretty sure he killed a hermit (could have been another hermit perhaps) and I did not feel comfortable having him when I added fish. Regardless, the deed is done. Unlike the simple and crude Aiptasia and Mojanos that I eradicate without thought, the crab was different. I euthanized him in a manner I have used before for dying fish that I consider quite humane. As humane as possible.

This is a new setup and these things are all part of it. Honestly, I portray them above as negatives, but they are not. They all make me feel great because after many years away from the hobby, I am a reefer again.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost, our fish did not ship, but is being monitored.
This is very unusual! I've never heard of an online supplier doing this. I hope it works out!

Keeping the Xanthid crab was a risk. I am pretty sure he killed a hermit (could have been another hermit perhaps) and I did not feel comfortable having him when I added fish.
That always stinks. Crabs are a lot different than killing weeds (aipy's). It's unfortunate you don't have a fuge in your sump to let him have his own kingdom but it is what it is.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very unusual! I've never heard of an online supplier doing this. I hope it works out!

This is my first shipped fish as I mentioned, so I was not sure if this was common. Thanks for the input. I called the vendor and it turns out their facility had a general issue and they were not shipping any fish. Our specific fish was fine and it is likely he will ship out today. Good to know.

Are you sure you lost a hermit and it just wasn't a molt?

Yes. I am certain.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first shipped fish as I mentioned, so I was not sure if this was common. Thanks for the input. I called the vendor and it turns out their facility had a general issue and they were not shipping any fish. Our specific fish was fine and it is likely he will ship out today. Good to know.
That makes much more sense, I feel better for you! ;)

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in an ATI ICP-OES test today. As this is a new build I wanted to have a baseline if I ever had a need to test in the future. I may do a test every year just to see what is happening with parameters I cannot test.

My daughter and I found a bivalve today deep in a crevice. We could not got a good picture, but we did see it open and close. It was a simple, boring light grey color, more oval than round and about 3/4”. Pretty cool!

I add 5ml of Phytoplankton daily and the pods really go nuts, even in the peak light of the day (which is pretty low right now as posted before). I had a sample of Mysis pellets and tossed a couple in as well. The shrimps all really enjoyed that.

8FF5403F-E737-428B-93CF-F33CE7339A60.jpeg

Here is a video of Pepper trying to secure his treat before the big Cleaner Shrimp could steal it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish today. I am pretty bummed. I got up very early (I work late into the AM as some of you know) for nothing, so running on fumes today. The fish is stuck at a FedEx hub in Indianapolis. Their explanation was that although several packages made it onto the plane this morning, there was not room for all of them. I realize my package is no more important than any other person's, but it seems to me a package clearly marked with a live animal would make it onto the plane. Also, why I am paying for overnight if they can just arbitrarily leave my package out? Is this common? I have never heard of this. I will see what happens tomorrow, but suffice it to say I am not in a good mood today. I really think I am cursed when it comes to shipping anything (for example, this is the third time in nine months that a shipping company had the wrong phone number for me. Really?!?!?) I will post more about this experience when it resolves one way or the other.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. The fickle finger of shipping really seems to choose just a few to really roll hard on. Fingers crossed that your Wrasse shows up hearty and hale despite the delay

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. The fickle finger of shipping really seems to choose just a few to really roll hard on. Fingers crossed that your Wrasse shows up hearty and hale despite the delay

Thanks @Raege.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a fish!
Pink Streaked Wrasse
(Pseudocheilinops ataenia)

As soon as we got him I added an airstone and started dripping. After about 36 hours in the bag I skipped floating him to get him some air.
3EB61E5F-4F2D-4B2A-A025-BC6B6C568C19.jpeg

Here he was swimming around about a half hour after we shot the video. He did “play dead” for a bit as the girls mentioned and as I expected. Terrible picture, just wanted to show everyone he seems okay. He enjoys swimming around the gyre just to add to my nervousness.
BB8AC0C6-DBCA-4D9B-B69D-7821A3812B4F.jpeg

In the video you also learned our Cleaner Shrimp are now named Lucy and Ricky. They were names we had considered that seem to have stuck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice vid. You have two beautiful daughters there as well. I hope Lucky the Wrasse keeps swimming strong for you
I love how they enjoy the tank, hope Lucky settles well for you. :)
Cute kids and congrats on getting a live fish after that fiasco

Thank you all. My little co-producers love to turn it on for the camera. It has been about three hours now and the fish appears to be doing well. He is staying hidden mostly, but I have seen him out a couple of times.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are absolutely loving this little girl.
BEFEB20F-2E2C-4052-9AE2-8C8B7C874CBC.jpeg

3C949A80-E471-48C5-9BB8-A6F22C9ABEE9.jpeg

CA66CA4E-027E-42B1-BA73-A6E96235E3D8.jpeg

E19D643D-E299-4CFB-91AC-92378EF1B347.jpeg

I had been calling this fish he, but actually a Pseudocheilinops ataenia is probably a she. They are female unless they transition to male. She spent the night in the cave with the shrimp and is feeling a little less shy today. The Cleaner Shrimp have been out a lot more as well hanging out on the rocks.

I tested PO4 last night and after having done a couple of 10% water changes this week it is down to around 0.5. The Phosphate remover I added may also be helping some. The clean Chaeto came yesterday from @AlgaeBarn so I finally set up the small filter compartment refugium in the back. I am hoping this has some effect on the PO4 as well, but I feel Macroalgae has several benefits beyond just nutrient export.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back