OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I've never heard or seen them living that long.

Maybe it was four years. They moved with me through three apartments too. Funny how back then I did not worry much about anything and the tank thrived. Even kept an H. magnifica for years. Now, I am probably overthinking every little thing and over-researching every iota. This forum is awesome, but I am probably OCD and susceptible to information overload.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it was four years. They moved with me through three apartments too. Funny how back then I did not worry much about anything and the tank thrived. Even kept an H. magnifica for years. Now, I am probably overthinking every little thing and over-researching every iota. This forum is awesome, but I am probably OCD and susceptible to information overload.
I did and still do that. I'll say, after battling dinos, i've learned some valuable lessons. The one that stands out most is, less is more. The less I do to the tank, the more it thrives.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jason mack

Do you have any thoughts on treating Dino's / and having loss of inverts?
Is there any "link" that you've dealt with on that matter?

Thanks, Freddie
Hey Freddie , I never lost any when treating Dino’s , but then I only dosed peroxide ,I managed to stay away from products like Dino X , but there are so many different types of Dino’s that I think I just got lucky ..

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the LFS today just to replenish the CUC with some snails and hermits. I think you can guess how the story ends.

Your hint is I also wanted to look at some different varieties of A. ocellaris.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the LFS today just to replenish the CUC with some snails and hermits. I think you can guess how the story ends.

Your hint is I also wanted to look at some different varieties of A. ocellaris.
You mean you didn't come home with $200 worth of coral!? :D

Which variety did you look at?

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently decided a Clarkii complex clown would get too big, too aggressive or both for this tank. I guess I always knew, but I now faced it.

I wanted to look around at some fancy ocellaris in person that I had seen online. To be honest, I did not find the so called designer clowns as desirable as I had thought. They were beautiful of course, but seeing them in person they seemed they would feel out of place in our reef tank.

Our anemone is small, about 1 3/4.” I did not expect to add a clownfish for a while.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did and still do that. I'll say, after battling dinos, i've learned some valuable lessons. The one that stands out most is, less is more. The less I do to the tank, the more it thrives.
Otherwise know as “hands in tank syndrome “...I agree

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otherwise know as “hands in tank syndrome “...I agree

I am trying to cure myself of that ailment. Picked up a long grabber recently and I am loving it. Thanks for your comment about the dinos too!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently decided a Clarkii complex clown would get too big, too aggressive or both for this tank. I guess I always knew, but I now faced it.

I wanted to look around at some fancy ocellaris in person that I had seen online. To be honest, I did not find the so called designer clowns as desirable as I had thought. They were beautiful of course, but seeing them in person they seemed they would feel out of place in our reef tank.

Our anemone is small, about 1 3/4.” I did not expect to add a clownfish for a while.
I really love my Black Onyx clowns. They aren't aggressive, except for the first month as they fought for dominance, but they worked it out. The only problem is that they won't go near my anemone. They seem to prefer hanging out by my gyre power cable. :rolleyes:

Clowns2.jpg

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it turns out, I came across a tank in the LFS that had three tiny percula in it. As I watched I saw there was a fourth even smaller one and they were all taking turns badgering him. I looked closer and the tiny one was actually, I believed, an A. ocellaris. He was a lighter orange and had less black between the stripes.

The poor fellow was really being harassed, so I immediately starting growing attached to him. He was probably 5/8” and I figured that would probably fit our anemone. I asked about him and the LFS person agreed he was A. ocellaris. Since he was mislabeled, I was offered a 1/3 discount and that sealed the deal.

So after considering several options, the clown that appealed to me most was the classic. Here is what is likely our last fish
32F79AF6-4455-45C7-BB38-EE1F1D14978F.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it turns out, I came across a tank in the LFS that had three tiny percula in it. As I watched I saw there was a fourth even smaller one and they were all taking turns badgering him. I looked closer and the tiny one was actually, I believed, an A. ocellaris. He was a lighter orange and had less black between the stripes.

The poor fellow was really being harassed, so I immediately starting growing attached to him. He was probably 5/8” and I figured that would probably fit our anemone. I asked about him and the LFS person agreed he was A. ocellaris. Since he was mislabeled, I was offered a 1/3 discount and that sealed the deal.

So after considering several options, the clown that appealed to me most was the classic. Here is what is likely our last fish
32F79AF6-4455-45C7-BB38-EE1F1D14978F.jpeg

Such a classic fish. I prefer the originals over the designers myself.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say I had two ocellaris and they lived up to their killer clown rep ... always biting me .. unfortunately I lost them too ich ... I now have two snowflakes and I love them very peaceful have never bitten me or even tried too... they just hang around my powerhead all day ...I’ll try and find a pic ..

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one has been very active since being added. He immediately went to the right side of the tank and just started dancing along the width of the glass. I was surprised that our Midas Blenny and Pink Streaked Wrasse were absolutely fascinated by the Clownfish. Over the past couple of hours, they both left their safety zones and just started hovering around the clown, a couple of inches back. The welcoming committee
8D292A7A-6213-456B-A2CB-A99F867B8F61.jpeg

Then they started dancing in the glass along with him. They were mimicking him with behavior they had never shown before
A5F73D35-7BF2-4C98-90EB-C725A8B427BD.jpeg

The Midas got bored, but the Wrasse and the Clown were practically schooling for about 15 minutes showing off to their reflections.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two clowns don't really get along even though one is a dominant female and the other remains male. They don't sleep together nor swim together but the male remains submissive within confrontation. My female recently and surprisingly hosted my red goniopora after owning both for nearly 5 years now. Very interesting fish.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two clowns don't really get along even though one is a dominant female and the other remains male. They don't sleep together nor swim together but the male remains submissive within confrontation. My female recently and surprisingly hosted my red goniopora after owning both for nearly 5 years now. Very interesting fish.

I am planning on sticking to the single hoping that will lead to less aggression.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Frostbites but man are they nasty... to me.... They are fine with the other fish but if I stick my hand on their side of the tank, they both attack me. Trying to kalk some aip and I have to hold a net in my other hand or they will bite me. Evil clowns..... But man are they pretty.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Frostbites but man are they nasty... to me.... They are fine with the other fish but if I stick my hand on their side of the tank, they both attack me. Trying to kalk some aip and I have to hold a net in my other hand or they will bite me. Evil clowns..... But man are they pretty.
Mine used to bite. I started hand feeding and that fixed that issue.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine used to bite. I started hand feeding and that fixed that issue.

Good idea.... I'll have to get some chainmail gloves to start :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back