OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we head into 2020, I have been thinking about the tank a lot as it has been at a standstill. The first thing I think of is, I am lazy. That can be a good thing as I have said before. During the tank's recovery, it certainly was. Now though I am thinking it is time to get something brewing. Specifically, I find my corals are starving. I mean, I know they are. I only feed the fish every other day, I do water changes infrequently and for the last six months I have dosed nothing. Everything looks healthy and algae is at bay, but there is no growth. Most corals just look tight skinned and hungry.

So, you may ask, what am I thinking?
  • I could feed more, and I probably will. Daily feeding will probably resume with feeding frozen every other day like I am doing now, but I will add a light sprinkling of pellets on the off day. Manual Phytoplankton dosing will continue and Nori needs to resume ASAP for the Lawnmower Blenny.
  • I may resume a once a week target feeding of LPS corals. I have not done this in many months.
  • I have a doser hooked up for two part, but that requires testing. I do not trust hobby tests at all. I know, lots of reefers use them, but I do not like relying on that and, again, I am lazy. After much thought, I am thinking of dosing a small amount of saturated Kalkwasser. I am not going to chase numbers with it, but I want to see how the corals react to some Alkalinity and Calcium. It is the simplest, safest way to see if I can get them some nourishment without relying on testing. To be clear I will run it through the doser (NOT the ATO) at small hourly amounts to help keep it from fighting the ATO.
I am going to go very slow and gauge the reaction along the way. I want to see what each little bit does and also be mindful of any nuisance algae reaction. The tank has a tiny amount of Bryopsis and Bubble algae, but no remaining GHA or Cyanobacteria at all. My guess is they may show up, so I will go slow enough to see if the fish and inverts keep those at bay.

I am very happy with my tank at the moment (so why not mess with it right? Ha! Reefers, SHFH!). The recovery is over though. While I was concerned about health, I think it is time to start thinking about growth. My tank is small, so I am not looking for mega growth, just healthy, slow growth. We shall see.

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we head into 2020, I have been thinking about the tank a lot as it has been at a standstill. The first thing I think of is, I am lazy. That can be a good thing as I have said before. During the tank's recovery, it certainly was. Now though I am thinking it is time to get something brewing. Specifically, I find my corals are starving. I mean, I know they are. I only feed the fish every other day, I do water changes infrequently and for the last six months I have dosed nothing. Everything looks healthy and algae is at bay, but there is no growth. Most corals just look tight skinned and hungry.

• I could feed more, and I probably will. Daily feeding will probably resume with feeding frozen every other day like I am doing now, but I will add a light sprinkling of pellets on the off day. Manual Phytoplankton dosing will continue and Nori needs to resume ASAP for the Lawnmower Blenny.
  • I may resume a once a week target feeding of LPS corals. I have not done this in many months.
  • I have a doser hooked up for two part, but that requires testing. I do not trust hobby tests at all. I know, lots of reefers use them, but I do not like relying on that and, again, I am lazy. After much thought, I am thinking of dosing a small amount of saturated Kalkwasser. I am not going to chase numbers with it, but I want to see how the corals react to some Alkalinity and Calcium. It is the simplest, safest way to see if I can get them some nourishment without relying on testing. To be clear I will run it through the doser (NOT the ATO) at small hourly amounts to help keep it from fighting the ATO.
I am going to go very slow and gauge the reaction along the way. I want to see what each little bit does and also be mindful of any nuisance algae reaction. The tank has a tiny amount of Bryopsis and Bubble algae, but no remaining GHA or Cyanobacteria at all. My guess is they may show up, so I will go slow enough to see if the fish and inverts keep those at bay.

I am very happy with my tank at the moment (so why not mess with it right? Ha! Reefers, SHFH!). The recovery is over though. While I was concerned about health, I think it is time to start thinking about growth. My tank is small, so I am not looking for mega growth, just healthy, slow growth. We shall see.
Besides the voicemail, this just made my morning. I'm excited and happy for u that ur ready for a few baby steps again Brian. You know the entire forum is rooting for ya brother. And so is vincent.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amigo, you know we have all witnessed your tank’s recovery. I do look forward for the next phase and more pics.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great update Brian. I have been very happy through many years of kalk with my ATO. pH has always been stable with it. Although I get why you don’t not want it in the ATO. Will the kalk container be small just incase of an overdose?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you and your family nothing but good health and happiness in 2020!

Best-Happy-New-Year-2020-Gif-For-Whatsapp-Instagram.gif

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year and be careful whose buttons you push this year okay? Lol!
Thanks brother. I am a born button pusher, but I appreciate your valiant effort. ;Hilarious

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update Brian. I have been very happy through many years of kalk with my ATO. pH has always been stable with it. Although I get why you don’t not want it in the ATO. Will the kalk container be small just incase of an overdose?
I am torn. Automated dosing is easy, spread throughout the day and carries tank ending risk. Manual dosing is inconsistent, all at once, but not risky at all. I am leaning toward the former and living dangerously. The reservoir is 2.5 gallon.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am torn. Automated dosing is easy, spread throughout the day and carries tank ending risk. Manual dosing is inconsistent, all at once, but not risky at all. I am leaning toward the former and living dangerously. The reservoir is 2.5 gallon.
I hear ya. A month or two ago the brs/wwc hybrid cube had a doser malfunctioned. Dumped an entire dosing vessel of ALK supplement overnight... and Ryan went live on fb to the white cloud he walked into that morning. It can happen to anyone. Scary to rely on tech but man it's nice to not have to worry about the swings and self reminders to dose manually. Tough call.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the before pictures. Ten days of neglect. I waited until lights on to show how bad it was. I am posting these to compel myself to stay focused and clean the tank TODAY!

Cleaning glass, pumps, rocks, floor, wall, etc, etc, everything!

53C6CC1A-B9D3-4BCB-A86A-68E7F7AAECB7.jpeg

53A0F531-DB98-4026-AFB0-9A53B4AA04AD.jpeg

FUNKY!!! ;Hilarious
3E9B89DA-6F5D-4CF1-961F-F33640FCA6AB.jpeg

#honestyinreefing

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally cleaned the tank today, LOL!

FTS
EE2566CA-2633-42D4-93DE-2242A5288BFB.jpeg

Notice anything? The anemone looked a little off to me
EE1E1957-AE22-48A8-A528-4F7A42BEC970.jpeg

Then I was like, WTBH?
1C471471-DA50-4684-A7AA-2F0E597D2C0A.jpeg

That is right. After 18 months in the tank, the BTA finally split.
72C65AE6-2901-49EB-A0DD-F0AEB653DA7C.jpeg

First of all, it is awesome. Amazing any creature can do this. Second, I get a free anemone. Sweet! I have to admit though, I am a little terrified of what may come next. What could go wrong, right @Crabby48 ?

;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, when I say I cleaned the tank, I meant the glass and all pumps. The back wall and rockwork I will address tomorrow. Maybe see if I can move the split anemone to a better spot too.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back