View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha! I found some suppliers that refer to "live rock" as "living rock:"

Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory:
Rock Borer's Assortment - subtidal “living” limestone rock

Carolina Biological Supply:
Living Rock Community Set - rock alongside animals such as anemones, starfish, and crabs
1643618085106.png

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only in books from around that time. I don’t think the Berlin method really gained traction, especially outside of Germany, until the late 80’s/early 90’s, and live rock wasn’t really used before that, but I think early English speaking reefers, when they first learned about the Berlin method, used the term ‘living rock’, and then over time it colloquially became known as ‘live rock’.

And now we have people and companies calling dead/dry rock ‘live rock’ or ‘life rock’ because it will eventually have bacteria on it. Which isn’t live rock, and IMO constitutes false advertising.
Did a Berlin method tank in 81. I'd say the rocks from Tampa and KPaquatics Is living rock. While the rocks from way back had different hitchhikers and wild life they are full of life. I've picked up my own rocks at the end of frying pan shoals and the gulf rock is almost as good. It's pricey but worth it. Live or living. Just terms. It's the same thing if it's cared for properly before you get it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back