I screwed everything up…

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel completely foolish right now. A few weeks ago when my brand new firefish disappeared, I thought that it was simply my evil clownfish being territorial. That was, until now my beloved royal gramma disappeared. I just returned from a weekend trip and have yet to see him all day (of course he may hopefully just be hiding). Now, all I have left is my Aurora goby and clownfish. I observed their behavior, which seemed fine. Then I noticed this:
E30D8B05-64F9-4D7C-B486-2C592BBC10AA.jpeg

My best guess is Marine Velvet. Only thing is that there is absolutely no change in behavior, just a nasty appearance.

This feels like a complete rookie mistake for me to have let this slip past the firefish’s quarantine, but I suppose we all make mistakes sometimes. The shame of it is that a couple weeks ago, I noticed some white specks near the clown’s face and was considering moving my fish into quarantine. The clown was acting alright though, so I figured it was just lymphocytosis that would clear after some water changes, which it did. I unfortunately couldn’t be more wrong, and now I’ve lost two fish and the clown has maybe a day left (judging off looks). I just feel so defeated and guilty, and I am completely at a loss for immediate solutions. The true panic is the lack of medication for this illness and a lack of means to catch my goby. Any suggestions, or, although I would feel terrible for just standing by, am I too late to be of any help.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feel completely foolish right now. A few weeks ago when my brand new firefish disappeared, I thought that it was simply my evil clownfish being territorial. That was, until now my beloved royal gramma disappeared. I just returned from a weekend trip and have yet to see him all day (of course he may hopefully just be hiding). Now, all I have left is my Aurora goby and clownfish. I observed their behavior, which seemed fine. Then I noticed this:
E30D8B05-64F9-4D7C-B486-2C592BBC10AA.jpeg

My best guess is Marine Velvet. Only thing is that there is absolutely no change in behavior, just a nasty appearance.

This feels like a complete rookie mistake for me to have let this slip past the firefish’s quarantine, but I suppose we all make mistakes sometimes. The shame of it is that a couple weeks ago, I noticed some white specks near the clown’s face and was considering moving my fish into quarantine. The clown was acting alright though, so I figured it was just lymphocytosis that would clear after some water changes, which it did. I unfortunately couldn’t be more wrong, and now I’ve lost two fish and the clown has maybe a day left (judging off looks). I just feel so defeated and guilty, and I am completely at a loss for immediate solutions. The true panic is the lack of medication for this illness and a lack of means to catch my goby. Any suggestions, or, although I would feel terrible for just standing by, am I too late to be of any help.
It likely is
Start with a freshwater dip. Unfortunately you will have to quarantine them in a separate tank or even Rubbermaid type container
Leave display tank empty for 50-60 days at 80 degrees You can add occasional dose of ruby rally pro to display tank
For the fish, use copper based treatment such as coppersafe. Whatever you use, be sure it says treats Oodinum
Have a good (not API copper test kit on hand to monitor levels (2.25-2.5)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help on medicating but read something once about catching fish that live in or around rocks in our tanks and as the fish when spooked will dart into its favourite rock hole,I seen it recommended to put a clear transparent bag inside the hole then go try catch the fish and if it bolts into the hole with bag then you caught it.ovniously leave enough bag outside hole in rocks to grab the bag now with fish inside it.

Now if this works or not idk as personally never tried it myself but the person who suggested it says it works .

Anyhow good luck with your fishy friends ^_^

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not ideal, but will cupramine work alright for the goby? I know they can be copper sensitive, but it’s the only correct med I have.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: It took a few hours to get the tank all prepared, but I finally got Luxo into quarantine, and I’m waiting on the goby to fall for the trap. Definitely velvet, or something of the nature. The skin is very fuzzy. There are a couple prominent spots that look like ich, but the spots seem way too wild for that.
75517561-2B5B-4955-8757-1C8876800BAB.jpeg

The goby is eating pellets like a pig while the clown has stopped eating altogether. No elevated breathing, but I’m still not too confident in the clown’s survival…

I’m going to lower the lighting time in my tank while the velvet is around, but not too much as I don’t wanna harm the corals. I was planning on expanding my CUC so maybe I’ll do that at the start of fallow.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet wouldn't kill one fish then wait a few weeks and kill another. Are you quarantine new fish at all?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my firefish will hide for days at a time sometimes. I think they died, but they always pop back up. A few weeks is a bit different though.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine all new fish, but only medicate if the fish actually shows signs of disease.
The firefish never acted off while in qt. And in the tank it always looked okay. It has been a while now since I lost it, and the last I saw it the clown was relentlessly chasing it. It’s been probably over a month now, so I doubt it’s still alive.
Still holding out hopes for the gramma, but something just seems off.
Nothing new has gone in since the firefish.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe you have a bobbit worm or mantis?
Doubt it. I haven’t heard any snapping (outside of my pistol) nor have I had any random invert disappearances. Besides, in a 13.5 gallon tank, I’m sure I would have found one by now if there was.
I suppose bobbit is a bit more possible, but even then I wouldn’t have bought anything that it could have likely hitchhiked in on.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe clean your glass and snap another pic.

Canadianreefmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure its sick. I can't see the fish well enough. clownfish can get dusky looking with bad water conditions . Ensure Parameters are I'm check. A large water change will remove any "infectious particles" in the free water column.

Reguarding cupramine yes it can be used in smooth or scale less fish that tend to be more sensitive to copper medications. However, the fish must be healthy enough as time of initial treatment to survive the treatment. And use as directed In a quarantine tank. Your tank will need a fallow period. Check out thr green fighting machine for in tank uv sterilizer I use to use one in my qt tanks.

You don't need to feel shame or guilt. These things do happen. Yes it sucks going through this process; however, you will come out more knowledgeable! And be able to help someone in the future.

The best thing you can do is ask for assistance.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown is doing much better in the copper, and the goby has a few fuzzy patches. I can’t get a clear photo of him, and I’m having much difficulty capturing him. Hopefully I can have some success sooner than later. Clown is looking and acting much better, with its breathing back to normal. Still no appetite though but that could also be from medications and stress.

Picture:
1030C552-17AB-4B9F-BD1A-7CE9345FDA59.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update:

I STILL can’t catch the goby. I’ve been trying various techniques, but that darn fish just doesn’t want to go. @Jay Hemdal, if the clown indeed had a disease, shouldn’t it have shown up on the goby by now? What are the life cycle periods for these parasites? Could it have been a severe case of lymphocytosis? The water certainly needed to be cleaned when I came back from my trip..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back