I Serve My Tank 1 Mussel A Day (Like This)...

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FBF5320E-7500-4046-8F26-8AEEBDA57564.jpeg

Step 1: Crack the frozen Mussel with a nut cracker

Step 2: Break off the largest piece(s) with a small knife, or just use your hands

Step 3: Using the tip of the small knife, scrape away and discard all the tiny shell fragments you don’t want mixing into your aquarium sand

Step 4: Use the same knife to cut off some larger feeding ‘scraps’ from the few larger broken pieces

Step 5: Feed the ‘scraps’ to the tank, along with dropping in the largest portion of the Mussel shell directly into the tank :)

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If frozen - like OP posted - almost nothing survives. Freezing kills parasites and almost everything else.

While this statement is true, it needs to be expressed with more detail because the devil is in the details. Typical home freezers are not usually suitable to completely kill parasites because they do not get cold enough.

Here are the recommended freezing temps and duration from the FDA for killing parasites in fish for human consumption:

"The temperature of the freezing process, the length of time the fish is held frozen, and the type of parasite appear to be the most important factors. For example, tapeworms are more susceptible to freezing than are roundworms. Flukes appear to be more resistant to freezing than roundworms.

Freezing and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours are sufficient to kill parasites. "

Source: https://www.fda.gov/media/80777/download

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ever try to leave one half one to see if the fish can get in there? This reminds me of a fish that takes shells and smashes them open on a rock to eat! It was pretty intetesting documentary.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FBF5320E-7500-4046-8F26-8AEEBDA57564.jpeg

Step 1: Crack the frozen Mussel with a nut cracker

Step 2: Break off the largest piece(s) with a small knife, or just use your hands

Step 3: Using the tip of the small knife, scrape away and discard all the tiny shell fragments you don’t want mixing into your aquarium sand

Step 4: Use the same knife to cut off some larger feeding ‘scraps’ from the few larger broken pieces

Step 5: Feed the ‘scraps’ to the tank, along with dropping in the largest portion of the Mussel shell directly into the tank :)

Hope you save some for you to eat with hot sauce.

Paul b swears by this type of feeding. I am lucky enough that I can get mahogany clams fresh at the grocery or sometimes a seafood store will have the giant clams. I bring them home live, get a knife in the halves just enough to open it a bit. Pop in a lollipop or other stick and take knife out. If the are live they clamp onto the stick. Then into the freezer. By putting the stick in, when pulling right out of freezer you have a little opening already to pry open. And done. Even my tangs go crazy for them.

I actually don’t worry about parasites in the food. I don’t qt so I feel the more stuff exposed to the better their health will be. Black worms also are great.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can tell they love it. Kole tang looks great and thick.

my file looks exactly like yours. Mine mowed thru a heavy aptasia outbreak in 2weeks. Now he’s a happy member of the family

A-dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about this for my very finicky copper band. I need to try it out

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first batch of live oysters! They also had a few littleneck clams I got

Now I have to store them...

Live oysters turn into a quick snack for me. I absolutely love oyster with a some hot sauce.

Clams make an excellent chowder as well:)

Make sure to save a few oysters and clams for the fish;)

Back