I Serve My Tank 1 Mussel A Day (Like This)...

Glenn Siegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than cracking open the shell, what about putting the frozen oyster into a cup of the tank water to allow it to defrost enough where you can pull open the shelf instead of breaking it? I will occasionally put a clam in the tank this way- no broken shell fragments to worry about.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
349E10B2-A346-4F8C-8640-3F0234FB107C.jpeg

Who doesn’t love a tasty Mussel?
I love that puffer!

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than cracking open the shell, what about putting the frozen oyster into a cup of the tank water to allow it to defrost enough where you can pull open the shelf instead of breaking it? I will occasionally put a clam in the tank this way- no broken shell fragments to worry about.
I buy the one at the reef store they came in half of the shell already, its guarantee of bring free of any bacteria of stuff, all i have to fo is simply temoved the shell after done

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny last night I made a scallop risotto for dinner with fresh large scallops. I cooked them all but 1. And my wife was like hey dopey you forgot one... lol. I said nope that's for the fish, she shook her head and said only in this house, the dog gets steak and the fish get scallops and we eat cheerios. Lol.

The fish absolutely loved the scallop, I chopped it up fairly small some chunky pieces too. The corales even opened wide for some.

OP
OP
JumboShrimp

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Glenn Siegel and others, those are some good alternative suggestions. I would probably avoid the crack-it-open-with-a-nut-cracker approach if it wasn’t for the fact that I have the Valentini Puffer and want to keep his teeth worn down. (I’m really trying to slow all the fish down, and make them ‘work’ for the food over the course of 30 minutes or more.) So I guess I’m saying: Small crack in the Mussel she’ll to have the fish working for it, Mussel on the half-she’ll if you want the fish to gulp it all down pretty fast. ;)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My fish have had flakes, pellets, seaweed, and a frozen assortment today— but it’s 8 p.m. and they haven’t seen their daily Mussel yet. I can really tell that they are acting cRaNKy!! :oops:
Haha! They're hangry

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FBF5320E-7500-4046-8F26-8AEEBDA57564.jpeg

Step 1: Crack the frozen Mussel with a nut cracker

Step 2: Break off the largest piece(s) with a small knife, or just use your hands

Step 3: Using the tip of the small knife, scrape away and discard all the tiny shell fragments you don’t want mixing into your aquarium sand

Step 4: Use the same knife to cut off some larger feeding ‘scraps’ from the few larger broken pieces

Step 5: Feed the ‘scraps’ to the tank, along with dropping in the largest portion of the Mussel shell directly into the tank :)
Is keeping a supply of live mussels in the sump or in a separate tank a practical idea?...

Back