I shattered the lids on for my tank... Will my fish jump?

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently i got over an ick problem and after the 3 months of waiting I am able to buy new fish. I got two Ice Picasso Clowns and an Tomini Tang. I was changing the water and everything that could go wrong went wrong and I ended up stepping on the glass tops I had and they broke... I'm worried my fish may jump out. Do I need to go get lids right now or can I wait for the screen lids I wanna buy from marine depot to come in.

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You biggest fear will be evaporation. If you are really scared about them jumping you can get some sort of clear cover like saran wrap.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fishes don't have a potency to jump like other fish species, I have Kole tang, six line wrasse, firefish, royal gamma on a no cover/lid tank and none of them jump. You can buy the screen lid for caution if you that worry :) mean while everything should be ok.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fishes don't have a potency to jump like other fish species, I have Kole tang, six line wrasse, firefish, royal gamma on a no cover/lid tank and none of them jump. You can buy the screen lid for caution if you that worry :) mean while everything should be ok.

I don't know about specific clown species, but clownfish can and do jump, although not as often as some other species. I am not trying to freak you out but I wouldn't want you to have a false sense of security either. Most of the stuff you need for DIY screen tops can be found at your local hardware store - they aren't much different than window screens. The only part I'm not sure of are the corner pieces.

How long until your stuff arrives from Marine Depot?

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had open top aquariums and the only problems have been with wrasses. Clowns,tangs, blennies, hawk fish, cardinals... all with no apparent desire to find greener pastures outside the box.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the opposite experience......I have had everything jump from lionfish to clowns to cardinals. Any fish can jump.....some are just more inclined.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish jump. Any fish can jump. Anything can cause a fish to jump.

When I added my first wrasse and my firefish was the only other fish, she sat at the surface and jumped 5-6 times in a row if the other wrasse came anywhere near her. It took her about 3-4 days to calm down.

I've got a 1/2" gap in the back of my tank for my return -- Clown jumped through it, chased by my bangaii.

When I was dipping my last three fish, I went to the restroom and found them on the floor -- they jumped while I was out of the room for about 1 minute, with a lid.

Fish jump. All fish jump. If you want to see my entire tank freak out at once, sit in my room until a bird flies by the window. My fish aren't afraid of the vacuum. They aren't afraid of my sound system. They aren't afraid of loud music. But they *ALL* know what a bird is, and it scares 'em all.

Crreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just put ceram wrap over the top just in case. But I have one tank that had the lid of with 2 clowns, a pyramid butterfly, and a hippo tang and nothing has jumped out so far.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would avoid glass tops on any saltwater tank. Gas exchange is very important and glass tops will hinder that. Instead go with a good mesh/screen lid. I'll also never keep a tank without getting a cover for it. As @Rakie said, all fish can and do jump under the right circumstances. My lid has saved my fish many times over.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently i got over an ick problem and after the 3 months of waiting I am able to buy new fish. I got two Ice Picasso Clowns and an Tomini Tang. I was changing the water and everything that could go wrong went wrong and I ended up stepping on the glass tops I had and they broke... I'm worried my fish may jump out. Do I need to go get lids right now or can I wait for the screen lids I wanna buy from marine depot to come in.

Egg crate is a good temporary fix until you get new glass.

Acartia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can definitely jump. Especially if you have a pair. I have had the female nag two out of my small 20. And there is only a very small area where they can jump out.

Go to Home Hardware and buy a DIY screen frame and the mesh they use to keep birds from berries.

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown fish are know to jump I have had sadly 3 do so and it sucks but just for safety I recommend to get that lid as soon as possible

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rimless tank but I getting a cover for it because fish that don't jump have jumped. I would not worry...but I would think about a cover long term.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think can fish could jump out if provoked enough. I keep my tanks covered now after loosing beloved fishes ! I'd think your OK until new covers come in just don't do anything to radical around the tank until.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I need a screen for my tank, cause I was told not to cover it and now I read it should be. No one mentioned screens lol and I don’t know why I didn’t think of it.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mdbannister makes a great point here. Gas exchange is critical for saltwater. I would never use glass lids or Saran wrap. that is completely closing your tank up. I would get a screen lid for it and be done.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back