I started my first reef tank with all used equipment. Anybody else do this?

Did you start off in the reef hobby buying used equipment? Do you still use pre-owned equipment?

• Yes, I did start off with some used equipment. It made getting everything going easier!

Votes: 208 40.9%
  • Yes, I did start off with some used equipment, but it was a mistake I won't make again.

Votes: 25 4.9%
  • I still buy used equipment! It's a helpful way to save money in this hobby!

Votes: 165 32.4%
  • Nope! Everything I used to get started was new! And I'm glad I started with all new stuff!

Votes: 118 23.2%
  • Nope! Everything I used to get started was new! But, I should've looked around for used options!

Votes: 48 9.4%
  • I still only buy new equipment! Lots of problems avoided that way!

Votes: 60 11.8%
  • Other... (Post in the thread)

Votes: 14 2.8%

• Total voters

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1) How many of you started off in this hobby buying used equipment?

My very first setup was all brand new from the LFS. Tank, stand, bio wheel filter, garbage light, etc. I immediately learned to not trust a LFS after this. After that, I bought used power heads and brand new lights so I could actually keep corals.

2) What are some things you would still buy used today?

I don't mind buying used Tunze pumps. Maybe some halide ballasts too

3) What are some things you would NOT buy used today?

Almost everything. Tank? Not a chance. It's one of the cheapest parts of the whole thing.

Coby333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started of with all new equipment, but a very small tank (13.5 gallon). It was too small, I had to go bigger. The next tank was a used 30 gallon lagoon that came with an aluminum stand, lights, auto topoff, heater, chiller, wavemaker, and more. I paid less than half of what it's worth. I love this tank. When I upgrade to bigger I will purchase used again

AquasKy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there's no doubt this hobby CAN BE expensive, but IMHO it doesn't have to be. I started off in the reef hobby with a 29g tank off of craigslist. I bought my first equipment all used. Now...there are some things I wouldn't buy used today, but there's no doubt that if I couldn't have started off cheap, I probably wouldn't have started at all. Anybody else have a similar story?

So...a few questions for this discussion:

Btw, for anyone looking for some good deals on used stuff from other hobbyists, check out our R2R Marketplace forums!

Photo by @aquariumcarecenter
used equip.jpeg
I star
So there's no doubt this hobby CAN BE expensive, but IMHO it doesn't have to be. I started off in the reef hobby with a 29g tank off of craigslist. I bought my first equipment all used. Now...there are some things I wouldn't buy used today, but there's no doubt that if I couldn't have started off cheap, I probably wouldn't have started at all. Anybody else have a similar story?

So...a few questions for this discussion:

Btw, for anyone looking for some good deals on used stuff from other hobbyists, check out our R2R Marketplace forums!

Photo by @aquariumcarecenter
used equip.jpeg
i feel like I started off somewhere between new and used because I had a tank from growing some tadpoles to frogs my family and I found in the backyard, so technically my tank was used but only by me prior to. Everything else I’ve bought has been new, too, but not because I didn’t look for stuff used, I was just looking for very specific stuff and when it’s like that, brand new is just easier. But now that I’m two tanks into the hobby, I try to find a lot of stuff either used or at the very least discounted. I waited for the dollar per gallon sale on my other tank. Outside of fish and water, I get a lot of stuff from Petco so I can use all the coupons I’ve collected from buying bag after bag of dog food. I bargain where I can but I’m not afraid to spend money when I need to.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I also started out buying used equipment, and probably would not be in the reef hobby if it were not for the savings. One of the best used equipment I bought was a 9.5 magdrive return pump. That pump served me 15 years when I upgraded to a DC pump, but the magdrive was still working!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be willing to buy used and use them if there was a reasonable price discrepancy on the equipment. Unless you have a buddy hooking you up, a fire / divorce sale or just plain get lucky, I would rather spend the extra 10% and get some piece of mind that there is at least a small manufacturers warranty. Crazy how you can find 2 year used equiptment listed for more money than a BRS holiday sale new.

sdreefer619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the most expensive thing was upgrading several times the past 4 years in the hobby. Of course the more money you invest in the hobby I believe makes it even easier. 120 gallon Neptune apex el and a trident later lol. So much easier maintaining the 3 most important parameters. I might upgrade 1 more time or redo my aqua scape lol

eleslie3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got started buying equipment from a person retiring and selling his office systems. 125 gallon and 55 gallon tanks, three Iwaki magnetic drive pumps - one new in box. Replaced the 6ft four T8 light box and bought new heaters. Still use one of the submersible heaters for salt mixing station. Without finding this particular deal, I would not be in the hobby today.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The tank I purchased was from a guy getting divorced and got the tank stand sump UV and a skimmer for 1000 bucks about 2 years ago lol
Was the tank the reason he was getting divorced? heh

Back