I started too early...help!

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear reefers, I started my reef tank about 2 weeks ago using start smart complete and added a clown from the old tank. Since then I was advised by my LFS after testing that we were clear to add more to "increase the bioload". So now I have 2 zoas, 1 GSP and a toadstool mushroom and along with the other clown. I know I started too early because now my ammonia is at .25 and nitrites almost at 1.0 ppm. I added seachem prime to try as a temp fix and it hasn't helped much and I know it's going to produce funky results with the locked ammonia and nitrites. Anyways, now I am biting my nails wondering if I should do a water change nearly 2 weeks into cycling or give the bacteria chance to do their job. Nitrates are at 5.0 ppm, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear reefers, I started my reef tank about 2 weeks ago using start smart complete and added a clown from the old tank. Since then I was advised by my LFS after testing that we were clear to add more to "increase the bioload". So now I have 2 zoas, 1 GSP and a toadstool mushroom and along with the other clown. I know I started too early because now my ammonia is at .25 and nitrites almost at 1.0 ppm. I added seachem prime to try as a temp fix and it hasn't helped much and I know it's going to produce funky results with the locked ammonia and nitrites. Anyways, now I am biting my nails wondering if I should do a water change nearly 2 weeks into cycling or give the bacteria chance to do their job. Nitrates are at 5.0 ppm, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
What is in the tank for filtration? Did you transfer any live rock from the old tank? What is handling the bioload?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to test the ammonia? Nitrates at 5 in no problem. I run mine between 10 and 20

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't hurt to do a small water change. I'm not a fan of API test kits, so would at least have your results verified at your LFS.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The API test is probably wrong and your ammonia is zero. Who ever that works at your LFS that recommended coral should be fired. Usually want to give it a month after fish.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is iffy.... not always accurate.
Your numbers are not alarming yet.
That said, the rock is far from live yet. The water isn't moving "through" the sand, so that is not going to carry all of the load.
I'd say that yes, you started early but I would not panic just yet. Give us the big picture ... hang on back? sump? protein skimmer? Tank Size?
What you do can vary widely depending on what the big picture is. The more volume you have, the more forgiving. If this is a little nano, things can turn on you.
Can you give us a broader view of your situation?

OP
OP
CoastieFlo

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is iffy.... not always accurate.
Your numbers are not alarming yet.
That said, the rock is far from live yet. The water isn't moving "through" the sand, so that is not going to carry all of the load.
I'd say that yes, you started early but I would not panic just yet. Give us the big picture ... hang on back? sump? protein skimmer? Tank Size?
What you do can vary widely depending on what the big picture is. The more volume you have, the more forgiving. If this is a little nano, things can turn on you.
Can you give us a broader view of your situation?
I have a Red Sea Max e-170...45 gallons total AIO, protein skimmer up and running with bag of carbon and a sponge media. I probably have about 40 gallons* total with all the rock...which was pretty much dried out real reef rock I got from BRS. Haven't fed a lot either.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not huge but not tiny either. A small water change never hurts. You can also consider adding some additional biological media like Marine Pure if you have room in your overflow. Keep going with the supplemental bio additive. Watch the health of the inhabitants first and foremost. Sometimes we get so hyperfocused on numbers that we fail to notice that everything is actually ok. If the inhabitants are not succeeding, then respond accordingly.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using the API test kit, ammonia can read as 0.25, especially initially when your nitrifiers are still a bit slower with oxidizing all the ammonia. At least that's my theory. So long as it is not increasing beyond 0.25, I think you should be fine.

Nitrite is not toxic to marine fish until it reach much higher levels. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php

Your tank is not fully cycled (according to my personal definition of cycling), and nitrite may still increase. I think you should monitor nitrite, and so long as it is not like, hitting 10 ppm or whatever, you should be fine and can just wait it out.

I don't think you should be adding more fish to increase the bioload though. I mean, from experience I think you should be fine, but personally I like to err on the side of caution with this kinda thing.

OP
OP
CoastieFlo

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the advice, fish and corals seem to be doing just fine so far, no death rolls or sluggishness for now. Added some more bacteria and cranked up the ro and plan on doing a water change tomorrow if ammonia and nitrites spike even more. Also forgot to add I have 2 turbos and 2 emerald crabs in there. Too much too fast, I'm pretty upset with my LFS, followed advice from a guy that I normally don't see much, when the owner came in yesterday and I told him the situation he was pretty alarmed his employee gave the go ahead to start so fast, but looking back I should have known better too.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much. The fish should be fine either way. Little soon for the coral, they won't thrive but may survive until they do.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the livestock is happy, healthy and eating normally, I would simply wait it out. Knee jerk reactions have caused many more issues than they have solved. Give it a few weeks to let everything stabilize. Keep calm and reef on!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back