I still can’t keep acros apparently. Getting really frustrated.

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short, I’ve had a terrible time keeping acropora. Every time I get a frag the same pattern follows. Slight color loss at tip, which usually progresses to color loss around the base of the frag moving upward until the whole thing is dead. I’ve tried reducing nutrients I’ve tried increasing nutrients. I thought I had it figured out this last time after dosing microbacter 7 and seeing some regrowth in my LPS that had receded in my last stint carbon dosing. Well I got another green slimer frag yesterday to test the waters so to speak and I can already see faint color loss on the tip with lights out which generally means this is stage 1 of another frag dying.

Parameters:
SG: 1.025
Temp: 78-78.5
pH:7.96
Alk: 9.24
Cal: 448
Mg: 1321
Phosphate: .03ppm
Nitrate: 28ppm

Does anyone have any ideas here? I had my nutrients so low they were almost undetectable in the past and the same thing was happening. This is so frustrating I don’t know what to do at this point.

OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more info..

I was carbon dosing and my phosphates were undetectable, nitrates where sub 1 ppm. i started getting recession on my scolys and acans so I stopped and let my nutrients climb some (was suggested my corals were starving) At this point I didn’t really see an improvement in coral health so I took some advice and started dosing microbacter 7 to establish some beneficial bacteria. This seemed to help, my scoly started to recover, my acans started to recover. I was dosing two capfuls daily, for the first two weeks following the instructions on the bottle. I am now doing two caps once weekly as a maintenance dose. I thought since I saw improvement with my LPS that maybe the problem was fixed, but it seems like that may not be the case.

dvp95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quickly are you making all of your nutrient adjustments? Over days? Weeks?

What about lighting? how are things being acclimated?

OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quickly are you making all of your nutrient adjustments? Over days? Weeks?

What about lighting? how are things being acclimated?
The order came in yesterday, I started at 90% light reduction on a frag rack on bottom third of glass. I decreased reduction to 50% of normal on the first day and have it set to ramp to normal power today with the frag still on rack low on the glass.

Nutrient changes have happened over several months, I was rock bottom on nutrients about 2 months ago when I stopped carbon dosing, has been climbing slowly since. Started dosing microbacter about 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for nutrient export I am only protein skimming and 10-20% water changes bi-weekly along with the microbacter. I’ve been considering starting a refugium. Most people say my nitrates are now too high although I’ve read some posts by Randy Holmes-Farley saying that up to 100ppm won’t kill sps and that it will just brown them out, I am experiencing full tissue loss and death.

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not trying to hijack your thread but I have had similar experiences. I can’t even get a birdnest or cap to survive but Pocillopora and Stylophora are doing great.

OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not trying to hijack your thread but I have had similar experiences. I can’t even get a birdnest or cap to survive but Pocillopora and Stylophora are doing great.
Not at all man, the more ideas in here the better. Post your parameters in here too if you like. I want to figure this out. Every weekend I go to my lfs and see their beautiful display and mine is struggling for over a year now it’s really disheartening.

OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your lighting and schedule and what is your water flow like?

I’ll try to pull my photo with par readings in a moment

two AI-hydra 26, on a reefer 250

CD050B71-E3DC-40E7-9BB4-A8FDC88322EC.png

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest and ICP test. I was having comparable problems and the Triton test showed that I was lacking key trace elements and had alumin in my system. I followed the suggestions and my tank is finally dialed in (knock on wood). I suggest getting a 3-pack, because you will want to test every month until your tank is where you want it.

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all man, the more ideas in here the better. Post your parameters in here too if you like. I want to figure this out. Every weekend I go to my lfs and see their beautiful display and mine is struggling for over a year now it’s really disheartening.

Thank you I appreciate it.

I have a 180g 72x24x24 with 4 MP40's (2 on the side max 70% 2 on back max 40%) 3 XR30G4 AB+ with diffuser max 65%

Parameters:
SG: 35ppt
Temp: 77.8-77.2
pH:8.03
Alk: 8.71
Cal: 443
Mg: 1363
Phosphate: .00ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm (The colors are so close)

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kaludar was your tank started with dry rock? Also what are you running the vortechs at? Are they mp10 or mp40?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short, I’ve had a terrible time keeping acropora. Every time I get a frag the same pattern follows. Slight color loss at tip, which usually progresses to color loss around the base of the frag moving upward until the whole thing is dead. I’ve tried reducing nutrients I’ve tried increasing nutrients. I thought I had it figured out this last time after dosing microbacter 7 and seeing some regrowth in my LPS that had receded in my last stint carbon dosing. Well I got another green slimer frag yesterday to test the waters so to speak and I can already see faint color loss on the tip with lights out which generally means this is stage 1 of another frag dying.

Parameters:

Does anyone have any ideas here? I had my nutrients so low they were almost undetectable in the past and the same thing was happening. This is so frustrating I don’t know what to do at this point.
I run my Alk at 7-7.5, my CA is higher due to salt brand, TM Pro. This salt also runs 7 dkh. I’ve had SPS that have survived horrible gha among and survived.

Parameters:

I run Alk at 7-7.2, My CA is higher also due to salt brand being used. SPS have survived horrible gha, removing them to scrape rock and squirting surrounding areas with peroxide. I’ve decided to go the bacterial route since the world runs on bacteria. I think you’re on the right track there. Just an idea, in my case lower alk hasn’t hurt a thing, SPS, LPS, clam.

OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kaludar was your tank started with dry rock? Also what are you running the vortechs at? Are they mp10 or mp40?
Dry rock. Two Vortech mp40s, on a reefer 250 which is probably overkill. I run them on nutrient transport mode at about 25%

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do u start with all dry rock or live rock? If u start with all dry rock and go through regular nitrogen cycle then your tank is like a fowlr. Years ago we have real live rock from the ocean which has plenty of beneficial bacteria and microorganisms which benefits and regulate the reef tank biology. Now most reefer start with all dry rock and still think it will act like before. U can read the thread below

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back