I think I’m done.

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maaaaaaan, where do I start; not sure if you’ve seen my posts before but I’ve been having trouble with ich. I’ve had it multiple times done copper treatments they’ve gone for months then come back. I don’t quarantine my coral so mainly my fault.

About 1.5 month ago I emptied my DT and placed the fish in a hospital tank with copper. 13 days into the treatment I saw my blue tang with spots.
so I decided to do tank transfer method on all my fish had to split them into two groups.
14 days later after 4/5 transfers I placed the fish back into a hospital tank while my DT remains fallow for the 76 days. I’ve just seen my blue tang with spots AGAIN. I lost all hope now, don’t know where to go from here; might just let nature take its course. :(

0DD01251-B5F8-4632-9FE0-46E9B2A14E65.jpeg

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the point where you have to decide how serious you are about having a salt water tank. Because now you are at a cross roads where you have decide how willing you are to challenge your beliefs, because trust me they will be challenged.

The problem is the sterilization thinking. It is clouding your view of a path to enlightenment.

Hope things go well for you whatever you decide :)

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it sucks, but its time to start over. Catch all your fish & qt again. Look up the compatible test kit for your copper (I like copper power). Divide them up & go fallow again. Nothing goes in your tank without qt.

@Humblefish

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so confused on how this blue tang has ich after 2 weeks in copper the 2 weeks of tank transfers. Worst is every time the treatment finishes I watch the fish for a day and it’s clear of spots and looks good as soon as he goes in the hospital tank, which has had 100% water change and left to dry for 1 week, manages to get ich AH I’ve been just looking at the tanks today and I think it’s the end for me

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maaaaaaan, where do I start; not sure if you’ve seen my posts before but I’ve been having trouble with ich. I’ve had it multiple times done copper treatments they’ve gone for months then come back. I don’t quarantine my coral so mainly my fault.

About 1.5 month ago I emptied my DT and placed the fish in a hospital tank with copper. 13 days into the treatment I saw my blue tang with spots.
so I decided to do tank transfer method on all my fish had to split them into two groups.
14 days later after 4/5 transfers I placed the fish back into a hospital tank while my DT remains fallow for the 76 days. I’ve just seen my blue tang with spots AGAIN. I lost all hope now, don’t know where to go from here; might just let nature take its course. :(

0DD01251-B5F8-4632-9FE0-46E9B2A14E65.jpeg
Frustrating, I know! I’m late to the party and missed what led up to this, but have you lost any fish during this specific incident? Don’t “let nature take its course”, you know how that is going to end! I’m game to try and work through this with you if you want.
First, I’m not a strong proponent of tank transfers, especially if you are trying to run two at once. What copper treatment were you running? Have you considered chloroquine?

Jay

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you absolutely positive all fish were removed from the DT while going fallow? Have read story where some have went fallow (or thought) and they missed a goby in the tank or sump! Those guys love to hide and could always be forgotten!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you absolutely positive all fish were removed from the DT while going fallow? Have read story where some have went fallow (or thought) and they missed a goby in the tank or sump! Those guys love to hide and could always be forgotten!
The DT is fish less and still is all my fish are still in a hospital tank I have until September 28th until the 80 days are up

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Frustrating, I know! I’m late to the party and missed what led up to this, but have you lost any fish during this specific incident? Don’t “let nature take its course”, you know how that is going to end! I’m game to try and work through this with you if you want.
First, I’m not a strong proponent of tank transfers, especially if you are trying to run two at once. What copper treatment were you running? Have you considered chloroquine?

Jay
I was using cupramine - it seemed to work in 3 days all fish who had signs of ich were gone blue rang yellow tang and foxface but then throughout the treatment the blue tang kept getting the ich assuming it was the normal life cycle of the ich. Secondly my blue tangs face started to look like it was peeling off so I felt the copper might of been damaging the fish so I did tank transfer method for 2 weeks. My blue tang healed and had to spots during its time in the tank transfers. But then once back in a hospital tank 3 days in covered in spots and has a massive mark on its face again

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like hlle on the Tang as well as ich. My blue Tang has it and is healing up well ( HLLE ) .

Don't give up yet, everyone goes through bad issues.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this is stressing you out so much. Not sure you need to go through any of that though if no fish have died. I know I don't have a lot of fish (between 8 and 12 at various times in my tank), but I do always have at least 3 tangs and sometimes 4 that randomly come down with it a few times a year and always recover.

Blue tang has been getting ich and getting over it for 8 or 9 years now. I can also remember royal gramma and copper banded coming down with it at one point but all recovered with no medication and are doing well now. I think if you keep your water parameters in check and make sure the fish are getting enough food they can eventually get over the ich on their own.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
And these tangs are notorious for ich and attracting the ich parasite. Did you start with a freshwater dip to assure it is not flukes you are seeing?

kkarvelas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue (hippo) tangs are ich magnets, and your reefing life may be much better if you find him another home.

I completely agree, they are so notorious for getting ich. The smallest bad intereaction with another fish and it seems like thats all it takes sometimes for them to break out. So beautiful but you may just be happier without having to deal with their fragility

Back