I think I’m done.

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had a ich break out in m system I know the stress of it. I have come to not being afraid of ich on my fish. It comes and goes I just make sure the are fat and healthy. I also qt all new fish going into m system. I know there is ich but im more afraid of other stuff. Also I dont have a blue tang but seems s though they are magnets to ich. You look at them wrong and they get it. As others have said mabe find a new home for the blue tang might relieve some stress.

kkarvelas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had a ich break out in m system I know the stress of it. I have come to not being afraid of ich on my fish. It comes and goes I just make sure the are fat and healthy. I also qt all new fish going into m system. I know there is ich but im more afraid of other stuff. Also I dont have a blue tang but seems s though they are magnets to ich. You look at them wrong and they get it. As others have said mabe find a new home for the blue tang might relieve some stress.

I've had fish with ich before that did not spread to others! Found out he was getting bullied by my female clown and thats why he broke out. Seems to have a lot to do with stress.

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had fish with ich before that did not spread to others! Found out he was getting bullied by my female clown and thats why he broke out. Seems to have a lot to do with stress.
Yeah I would agree stress being the biggest factor. When I had my break out was when I did a tank transfer. The Tomingi tang got it then most of my fish started scratching. I let it run its course. Didnt lose a single fish out of about 15.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would agree stress being the biggest factor. When I had my break out was when I did a tank transfer. The Tomingi tang got it then most of my fish started scratching. I let it run its course. Didnt lose a single fish out of about 15.
If I am to just let them live with the ich is there even a point of me going fallow in my DT shall I just add all the fish back?

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am to just let them live with the ich is there even a point of me going fallow in my DT shall I just add all the fish back?
Since you have already started it wouldn't hurt to finish the fallow but again for me I have never gone fallow. I know I have ich in my system and I see fish sometimes scratch but I also dont have an aggressive system. All my fish are docile for the most part. Does our system have any aggression issues or over crowding?

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute. One thing nobody has mentioned....how close to your DT are your QT ? Ich can and will go from one tank to the other.... seperate your tanks. And I mean seperate them. All three.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DT is fish less and still is all my fish are still in a hospital tank I have until September 28th until the 80 days are up

I would strongly recommend keeping the tang separate. They truthfully are ich magnets. Heck I would even theorize that they create ich like some sort of plague beast lol! QT the other fish with medication and get them in the DT ASAP. Stress has a huge factor on fish life and diseases, QT tanks are stressful.

How big is your tang? They love huge tanks and that QT is probably stressing him more than the others. If the tang is unable to shake the ich, it is better to save your other fish and accept the loss of one. It's sad but sometimes the only option. Best of luck my friend.

BannerFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is your copper dosage correct? from what I've read there are ich/Velvet strains that are resilient to the dosage we use in the hobby. You can increase the dosage. please check the safe limit.

and also do you have any calcium based rocks in your hospital tank? if so copper treatment will not work properly

i would recommend treat the Blue tang separately and observe the rest in a separate tank

I had a similar experience with a vlamingi tang, after treatment in copper for 3 weeks and i moved it to the DT. by evening it was covered in white spots. strangely spots were almost symmetrical so i thought this could be some kind of glands similar to sweat glands in humans. so i ignored it and didn't come back for almost a year and again it was there for few hours and gone

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny stuff ppl saying take the tang out, as if that’s gonna do anything considering ich is already in the DT and ALL the fish have it in the tank.
Taking the tang out will do absolutely nothing at this point...

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But regardless most fish have ich and it does go away with copper, fallow any qt, regardless what the r2r mob says. As you have found out and many others with the OMG my ich is back threads ;)

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly recommend keeping the tang separate. They truthfully are ich magnets. Heck I would even theorize that they create ich like some sort of plague beast lol! QT the other fish with medication and get them in the DT ASAP. Stress has a huge factor on fish life and diseases, QT tanks are stressful.

How big is your tang? They love huge tanks and that QT is probably stressing him more than the others. If the tang is unable to shake the ich, it is better to save your other fish and accept the loss of one. It's sad but sometimes the only option. Best of luck my friend.
I was reading and waiting for this, hippo tangs are definitely ich magnets. Ours gets it all the time and it comes and goes but never transfers to the other fish in the system. @melypr1985, idk if she is still around on here but her and @hangongivemeaminute I cant remember his username but on the tip of my tounge.
Hopefully they reply. Let me go find his username.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading and waiting for this, hippo tangs are definitely ich magnets. Ours gets it all the time and it comes and goes but never transfers to the other fish in the system. @melypr1985, idk if she is still around on here but her and @hangongivemeaminute I cant remember his username but on the tip of my tounge.
@Reefing Madness, him. Lol

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the reason is that if there is no stressor event in the tank then one isn’t going to see an outbreak of ich symptoms due to a reduced immune system of a stressed fish, unlike tangs.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we had success with erythromycin 18 months ago. A couple of doses and a big water changes. Haven't seen it since.
Keep at it, you will find the solution.

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny stuff ppl saying take the tang out, as if that’s gonna do anything considering ich is already in the DT and ALL the fish have it in the tank.
Taking the tang out will do absolutely nothing at this point...
You must agree that certain fish are more prone to ich than others. Some fish will show ich while others do not in a tank. In the OPs case, it seems like the blue tang is the one that shows ich and it seems to be stressing the fish (and the OP). By removing the fish it may be easier for him to manage ich in the tank, which is also possible.

That said, I greatly value not having ich in my tank at all, and have gone fallow and have gone to great lengths to keep ich out of my system successfully. The OP has tried and failed multiple times. In an effort to spare him future hardship (and keep him from quitting) I think it is a reasonable option to consider removing the ich-prone fish, knowing that ich will remain in the tank, hopefully in a less visible, irritating way.

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so confused on how this blue tang has ich after 2 weeks in copper the 2 weeks of tank transfers. Worst is every time the treatment finishes I watch the fish for a day and it’s clear of spots and looks good as soon as he goes in the hospital tank, which has had 100% water change and left to dry for 1 week, manages to get ich AH I’ve been just looking at the tanks today and I think it’s the end for me
Did you check copper level in QT with Cu Test Kit? Because QT lot of fish could be difficult without some kind of filtration; and because of that filtration, copper you dosed might get sucked up then your fish in QT didn't get the therapeutic level.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, stop stressing yourself and your fish over ich. It’s not the killer that many will have you believe. That only happens under poor husbandry or a extreme stressor event.

Give your fish excellent water quality, nutritious food and a low stress environment (no overstocking etc) and you Will be fine.
If you’ve started your tank with dead rock I would also recommend to seed it with a few pieces of genuine live rock. Ich seems to be a bigger problem in tanks who has a poor micro fauna.

Best of luck and don’t give up!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back