I think I am going to attempt grafting...

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for no update. But this was a fail so far. The red monti out competed the purple. I am still wating to see results of the encrusting and the seasons greeting and the green cap. hold tight.

estebanb450

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it with a all red cap and a white with blue polyps cap. Same thing. Red over powered it they grow weird patterns. I think you have to find some with similar growth rates.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I can soon. But until i can snap a pic the Coral basically touched the purple cap and stung the coral till bleach white and now is over growing it.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, I tried to graft a Reeftech Starburst with the neon green Tyree Aequituburculata (the neon green cap in my avitar) by cutting a frag of the green and literally smearing scraping and rubbing the tissue onto/into the Starburst to try and get something like the WWC Sunfire. No joy.

Years ago, I did have a small section on my starburst that turned green with neon polyps on it’s own- about 5 polyps worth-- but it never spread.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys I think I have some news! think I was able to successfully fuse two encrusting montis. It was a rainbow monti and a mystic sunset. What I observed was the skin of the monti was red probably from the mystic sunset with red polyps from the rainbwow monti with a blue rim(new growth). I ended up selling the coral to the LFS. If this actually worked somebody will have a very cool coral. Luckily before I sold it I took a very bad picture lol. If you would liek to see this mix again. I have plenty that I could run the experiment again.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what do yall think? hard to tell from the image.
53A7D42A-23DC-4F43-BCC0-A195844432AD.jpeg
0211D9C9-40DF-4955-92D7-FB006D1C6E82.jpeg

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, excited to see this progress! I was thinking of trying this with my appleberry and reef raft when they get big enough to frag

Dont bother for me the RR outgrows the appleberry, at least in my tank appleberry grows far slower. RR was even the smaller piece to start @2in and the appleberry was 3in

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i ended up selling the frag but the picture of it is posted above. If their is still interest I have a really cool green skinned monti with rainbow polyps I was thinking about trying to graft that with a sunset monti so hopefully it would be a orange skin with rainbow polyps. If yall want to see that let me know and in a month I can have one cut and start the process.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back