I think I found aiptasia

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Hope everyone doing .got a frag of zoa from my LFS.while checking the zoa I think I found an aiptasia.if it's an aiptasia how to get rid of it .

1 how to get rid of this .I think this is the only 1

2 is there any coral dip i could use to kill .
Thank you 20201203_210858.jpg 20201203_210904.jpg 20201203_210908.jpg

Attachments

• 20201203_210919.mp4
    5.1 MB
OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the closest I could get .
90 % sure it is .

Is there any dip we could use to kill it before we introduce To our tank .coral rx any thoughts

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20201203-225357_Gallery.gif
    SmartSelect_20201203-225357_Gallery.gif
    4 MB · Views: 32

cngh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's not a great picture, but it *looks* like aiptasia. could be a hydroid, but i'm leaning towards aiptasia.

either way, don't throw it out. hopefully that other poster was joking. i can't tell if it's on a frag plug or not. if it is, maybe you can pop the zoas off the plug. you might get lucky and the aiptasia is left behind on the plug. then let the plug dry out and scrape it clean or soak it in RO or vinegar or peroxide.

or, you can just get a big heaping glob of superglue gel and smother it. make sure it is completely covered, with no gaps to wiggle through. use a toothpick to get the glue into the crevices and nooks and crannies. that's worked for me on small/baby aiptasia that i've found on frags.

good luck!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to offer something that is dismissed about 99% of the time but one never knows :)

you have a chance to be aiptasia free and still keep the frag.

aips have been a challenge for a good couple decades now and not much has changed in handling since the 2000's / I spend my life on boards practically.

we are circulating info that causes invasion by aips is the issue...

so consider something opposite of what the masses are doing, and check at nano-reef.com to see if any pico reefs are having aiptasia problems. They do something unique there, with their small tanks (you have a small frag) that few other large tankers consider

they medically obliterate the polyp. then its gone

(but this will cause sporulation or fragmentation says the crowd)

no it wont, that's why if you search large tanks for twenty years you see aiptasia problems

but if you narrow down to pico reek keepers who don't follow rules, they're gone. And so is dinos...check in pico reefs over there how many are entertaining dinos as the days go by (none are, they rip clean)

you would take out the frag and fillet off that portion taking the footing its attached to/some rock if required, simply excise it.

put the frag back be thankful wasn't in the middle. you shouldn't dose, glue or add any animal that's all cross fingers and wait mode.

I'm looking to start an excision-based aiptasia work thread, my challenge is wading through the options that produce more aiptasias as the chosen mode. If u wanna try, that's a heck of a first entrant we can use to track outcomes.

No telling if two more are embedded somewhere else, its not hard to beat them with excision.

I found one in my reefbowl, once, ten years ago its on file / I used pliers to break off the corner of live rock it was on, a tiny chiplet, and now no more aiptasia.

one chip, ten years ago, never seen again.
I know every reefer has their fav way

it sounded like a great opportunity above to be deliberate with such an easy presentation.

Last edited:

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just scrape it off with a razor blade and keep an eye on it closely to make sure no others pop up on it. Also check throughout your tank for more. They really aren't that big of a deal, many people have them including the nicest tanks. I use aiptasia x to nuke them
( the ones I can get too ) every month or so. If I could I would add some nudis to take care of them but my fish would eat them. Don't stress out over them. I have many in my tank which I can't get to. Heres a pic of my tank from yesterday a week after killing off the ones I could get to. People say they sting corals but I haven't experienced that and have even left some on purpose that were touching my acros, montis, lps, etc... and saw no signs of them killing off the parts of the corals they touched.
20201201_173755.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting an outbreak in that would be stress #1 that's an ideal aged reef ideal in every way.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's not a great picture, but it *looks* like aiptasia. could be a hydroid, but i'm leaning towards aiptasia.

either way, don't throw it out. hopefully that other poster was joking. i can't tell if it's on a frag plug or not. if it is, maybe you can pop the zoas off the plug. you might get lucky and the aiptasia is left behind on the plug. then let the plug dry out and scrape it clean or soak it in RO or vinegar or peroxide.

or, you can just get a big heaping glob of superglue gel and smother it. make sure it is completely covered, with no gaps to wiggle through. use a toothpick to get the glue into the crevices and nooks and crannies. that's worked for me on small/baby aiptasia that i've found on frags.

good luck!

I wasn't. I would say working is eliminating the aiptasia. If you have done it more than 1 time then it didn't work it is a way of dealing with them not eliminating them.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F aptasia thats my go to method

U

User1

View Badges
Looks like you can reach in, remove the rock, zoa rock, frag plug, or whatever it is compromised of and use reef safe frag plug epoxy or superglue. Should be pretty easy.

To your original question though no, there is no dip. You have to manually remove, use something like a kalk paste mix, or f-aiptasia / similar product, or natural predators and hope they manage it. I'm with the lad above in that all tanks have them even with the best procedures of coral introduction. Mother nature finds a way and we are not 100% successful in our own protocols.

Best thing is what you are dong. Asking for a positive id. Then options to mitigate it. What you don't want to do is reach in and scrape it off in the water. That will spread spores. But if you can take it to work on it you are better off. This isn't the case for everyone but maybe in yours.

Back